Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamletpowpowpow
    • Nov 2008

Almost a self fulfilling prophecy. Last time I saw him live, dude looked a mess. So sad - he really did channel John Fahey's spirit beautifully...

Originally posted by merz
    damn, that was too soon

Comment

• Staton Viguier
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by todestrieb View Post
      Die Spiegelmanufaktur
      Nice. I've been looking for this

Comment

• TarHeart
        • Jun 2009

I'm currently listening to Dead Can Dance Within the realm of a dying sun. Really beautiful, dark and suggestive music, reminds me of Cocteau Twins Victorialand. Great record, recommended to everyone who like Cocteau Twins, or This Mortal Coil.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
          • Mar 2007

4AD rules...well, ruled, back in the day...!!

Comment

• black horizons
            • Jan 2008

^ gotta give that new album a listen....

I'm really bummed about Rose too.... he was the best at the whole Fahey thing.
            www.black-horizons.com

Comment

• LittleTombo
              • Mar 2009

Nisennenmondai:Destination Tokyo
              esp: Disco

Comment

• kollaps
                • Jul 2009

Reading Fahey's name here made me go to youtube, type in the words and now i'm enjoying red pony which will be followed by a lot more by the late man himself.

-edit: threw in some Leo Kottke as well.

Comment

• todestrieb
                  • Mar 2009

^ While you're at it, you might want to check out Sandy Bull as well.
                  Not as prolific as Fahey but just as good, if not dare i say better?
                  Then of course there's Robbie Basho.

Here's another, but contemporary, Basho(-Junghans)

Comment

• DRRRK
                    • Aug 2009

Maus Haus came late to end up with my album of the year in 2008. Now they return to my stereo exactly one year later and I'm blown away again. Strange.

Comment

• kollaps
                      • Jul 2009

Thank you! very much enjoying Basho's The Grail and The Lotus.

And while I agree with you on the just as good level, I wouldn't say Bull is better. Let's just say they differ a bit, and it would be like comparing apples to pears, so we could rule out the who's better debate, haha. Wouldn't want to step on some toes, now would we
                      Last edited by kollaps; 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                        • Nov 2008

Are you watching his TV appearance from "Guitar Talk"? That's sheer genius - there's an amazing moment that while smoking, he ashes in the sound hole of his guitar, much to the chagrin of the horrified, uptight host...

I hope to god this doesn't encourage some sort of twee-fit, but
                        despite being a hardcore kid - I had a serious soft spot for Slumberland (after all, they were regional, and you y'know, gotta support the scene...plus girls don't go to hardcore shows, so...) - but they just had a 20th anniversary party, and I missed it while in Iceland. Lorelei and the Ropers played - and it made me really nostalgic. Lorelei were seriously underrated - their albums were fairly overproduced and drab, but live they were raw and searing.Was always so let down to hear the recorded versions of those songs. I once saw them blow all the bands off the stage of the indierock flea market in '95 and it was genius.

I can't find any good clips of them online - but I'll give you guys this: two perfect pop songs from the Ropers.

and just to cleanse the palate and get us back on topic:

one show i'm glad I did manage to make it to (i'm actually in this clip for .5 seconds thrashing around). I got hit in the head with a beer can (twice), my shirt was ripped off my body. I walked out bruised, covered in beer, tequila and david yow sweat. It was the best thing I've experienced in 15 years.

Originally posted by kollaps View Post
                        Reading Fahey's name here made me go to youtube, type in the words and now i'm enjoying red pony which will be followed by a lot more by the late man himself.

-edit: threw in some Leo Kottke as well.

Comment

• Tumnus Truck-Tour
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2009

Listening to Hilary Hahn play Paganini, Violin Concerto No.1 in D major, Op. 6, III. Rondo. Allegro spirituoso

Comment

• almroth
                            • Jul 2008

right now, q lazarus - goodbye horses. but otherwise, a lot of philip glass lately.

Comment

• kollaps
                              • Jul 2009

That travis bean sound always gives me shivers down my spine, pure bliss..

now watching this epic moment in shellac history, haha
                              "Why do you suck so much?"

While dreaming about this set-up..

(an all aluminium.. just imagine the sound)

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

Old Nine Inch Nails, new Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Emily Wells and Tchaikovsky lately.
                                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎