• Show
Clear All
  • SunshineSometime
    • May 2008

DJ Shadow - Six Days

Comment

• H-R
      • May 2007

It somewhat reminds me of Joy Division, but not in the Interpol kind of way...

Addendum: Just saw this live video of them, can't believe the singer is doing the Ian Curtis kind of dance
      The band Dragons performing "Condition" at The Social, Nottingham on 9 June 2007

Comment

• MASUGNEN
        • Feb 2009

Just as I listen to Joy Division's Winter Gardens concert...

Comment

• DRRRK
          • Aug 2009

Stay with Joy Division.
          Dragons are part Editors, part She Wants Revenge and the Ian Curtis impersonation is as embarrassing as the lyrics.
          Please don't take it personal. As a Joy Division fan I find it insulting how many bands are compared to them.

Comment

• H-R
            • May 2007

I think Dragons are better than Editors; their songs have more intensity and emotion. It's going to be hard to not compare every new post-punk acts to Joy Division, seeing that they're the pioneers of the movement.

On another note, A Place to Bury Strangers released a new album a while ago, I think it was never mentioned here and I know that a bunch of people like their sound.

Comment

• DRRRK
              • Aug 2009

It's hard not to be better then Editors. Post-Punk is so much more than Joy Division. No band that has been compared to them over the last few years has matched the bleakness and the intensity, both in the music and lyrics. The results have often been ridiculous, because after an "intense" intro or verse there's usually a sing-along pop-chorus.

APTBS are a good band, though I liked them more live. The second album shows no real progress but is still very good.

Comment

• H-R
                • May 2007

I think it's hard to match the bleakness of JD's music, simply because Ian Curtis, as the songwriter, actually lived the bleakness of the songs that he wrote and the lyrics were an honest outpouring of his whole ordeal.

Btw, DRRRK, have you heard of Project:Komakino? Aside from the obvious JD's reference (Plenty of it in fact), what do you think of them?

Oh and speaking about APTBS live show, I've seen them live twice before and I found it funny that on the transition to Ocean, which they usually play as their last song, Ackermann would go on this theatrical antics that seems too overdone and staged, haha.

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

That is the reason why I gave up listening to bands that sound similar and focused on looking for music in the spirit of Joy Division. There are bands reminding me of JD although they sound nothing like them like Wilderness, The Twilight Sad or even Year Future a couple of years ago.
                  Project:Komakino are really good, much better than the other bands already mentioned. I can hear something in their music that the others lack.

Comment

• todestrieb
                    • Mar 2009

In the midst of the brief girly fight over MBV/Slowdive/Swervedriver a page back, I'm disappointed Galaxie 500 wasn't brought up or even hinted at. Damn, those were the days.

Nevertheless, these lads were the supreme lords.
                    A feast down memory lane:

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

Nice you mention Galaxie 500. I used to love all the three albums. The Mantles album reminds me somehow of their stuff.

Funny you call the few words wasted on shoegazing a fight, even girly fight. Maybe this over-sensitivity could affect your todestrieb in a bad way.

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                        Nice you mention Galaxie 500. I used to love all the three albums. The Mantles album reminds me somehow of their stuff.

Funny you call the few words wasted on shoegazing a fight, even girly fight. Maybe this over-sensitivity could affect your todestrieb in a bad way.
                        Galaxie 500 are definitely one of my favourite bands. Dean's later band, Luna are also great.

Comment

• todestrieb
                          • Mar 2009

^ I love whatever Dean has done since the break-up, but Damon and Naomi's projects post-G500 have caught my attention the most. Not that there should be any competition, haha. Of course the main project is Damon & Naomi but they had a brief spell as part of Magic Hour which were an amazing fluid mish-mash of slowcore, psych-rock, and space-rock rolled together in mostly lengthy exploratory songs.

Here's a gorgeous number from Damon & Naomi with Michio Kurihara (of Ghost fame) for company. One could never ever go wrong with a voice as beautiful as Naomi's.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                            • Feb 2009

Come on, let's discuss the real deal:

Which band (leader) is best dressed?

Comment

• DRRRK
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MASUGNEN View Post
                              Come on, let's discuss the real deal:

Which band (leader) is best dressed?
                              This could be an own thread, but please not here. This is about listening.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                                • May 2008

Just back from the Sunn O))) concert, so naturally I will still be listening to that for another couple of days until my ears recover. If they do that is.
                                Depeche Mode live tomorrow. That might fix it.
                                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎