Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamletpowpowpow
    • Nov 2008

Yeah, I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat. Food poisoning, etc, but that's no excuse. I'm sure we have a lot in common. My point is just that people shouldn't close themselves off to anything. And I get oddly defensive when I see people doing that. We're lucky - this is a pretty musically enlightened forum. We may be a bit pretentious, but there's no elitism or arrogance here, really. I can only assume we've found each other out of a mutual appreciation for creative sincerity. There are some people who are *true* fans of music on here, and that's amazing - I guess I'm overly policing a bit, so i apologize for that.

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
    Actually our attitude is more similar than you think.
    The way I find new music is just different from the way people find the XX (just a fitting example). The music I listen to is not out there, just not the mainstream alternative dominating the end-of-the-year-polls. Try playing Neil Young records to people listening to Vampire Weekend, the XX, MGMT etc. For you (and me) Neil Young is easy to like. I played a Bob Dylan record to some friends who are into each and every band recommended by the NME and they wanted me to play something different after one and a half songs of the Bob Dylan Album.

Portishead are not mainstream for me, soundwise they are rather unique and umcompromising, which is the opposite of mainstream for me. I don't close myself off to more popular music, more than often I try to like the bands everybody is talking about, but most of the time popular also means that the music is streamlined for mass consumption and when I get that impression it's over.

Comment

• Vanna
      • May 2008

Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Dropt
        • May 2009

Great live band. Plus, they're french.

I re-listened Bloc party's first album recently (silent alarm), there's some really great parts.

merz, thanks for some discovery throught the last pages.

Comment

• klangspiel
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
          i'll see both yr ksr and tumor circus and raise you some steel pole bathtub.
          i think i got everyone beat. i raise you all a swans reunion. no fucking kidding. the only glitch being the absence of jarboe (and to some extent, algis kizys as well). i hope they're working something out as we speak.

Comment

• Enaml
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by merz
            certain i'll be able to find something for you - have a friend who turned me on to them years ago, and i do remember him showing me some live performance stuff.

regarding steel pole, two guys from the band are with valve in different capacities, although they do write music for pretty much all of the titles including portal, half life ep 2, left 4 dead and its sequel. here's an example

aside from new stuff, classics like train to Miami & Borstal are in the games as well. there's some tracks off of unlistenable popping up in hl.ep2
            Totally off topic, but was there any news on ep 3? I think portal/ep2 was the last video game I really played...
            How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• DRRRK
              • Aug 2009

Hamlet and Merz, heartwarming stuff.
              I don't know if I should accept the apologies because I don't think they are necessary at all. I agree with everything you said and if at all, I have to excuse for getting overly defensive.

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                • Jan 2010

I've been listening to a lot of Amp Fiddler and Aaradhna recently. Something about their music that keeps me chilled.
                MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• pierce
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2009

If your into amp fiddler, make sure and check out moodymann.

The "Youtube Edit". (11min track so end cut off)

Comment

• wearejuststardust
                    • Apr 2009

it's not me,it's you! - pg.lost

Comment

• pierce
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2009

Wax the van

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5kROtkWcGM[/embed]

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                        • Nov 2008

Yeah. As you know, I'm finding this all a little dubious. I hope gira proves me wrong and that it's amazing.

But seriously - what's up with 2010...swans, godflesh both reuniting? And pitchfork is creaming itself over pavement playing out. Wish that band would just die already.

Originally posted by merz
                        oh man.. i'm beside myself here. & no algis? just saw him play with teenage jesus a few months ago.. either way, good news to start the year off with, y. thanks.

Comment

• qnc.hst
                          • Oct 2007

Aw, looks like the debate of the past few pages has re-submerged, 'n that's all well and good (no need to get caught in a spiral or nothin')... just wanted to poke in since I just caught it and give a general thanx for another bit of interesting back-n-forth, SZ. I'm sure a lotta personal variables affect every single different listener as to why they wanna reject or open up to new different sounds at any given time... I've been on both ends of that spectrum many times over, whether rejecting all but the most meager of punk rock I could access in my pre-internet backwoods youth as a stance against whatever I perceived to be the small-mindedness of my surroundings (ugh) to the fact that I just acquired copies of both Bastard's "Wind of Pain" and Peter Gabriel's early solo work in the same week. Questions of unintentional inauthenticity, intentional misappropriation of signifiers, naivete and 'authentic' misinterpretation of those signifiers, blah blah blah... all swirling 'round in my thoughtcauldron. Story of my life... total paralysis... Weirdest of all is my sort-of watching the Zola J thing rise up and the fact that there's some (very likely inconsequential) shared life-facts that make it weird seeing how that thing keeps going... and then looking back at how I make my own (non)moves and understanding better why that is. Not to mention that I've got a good 8 years on her to boot... weird weird weird and way more off-'topic' then even I thought I could get in one run-onn paragraph.

*ahem* something about Leyland Kirby *cough*

Klang... thanx for the reminder on those AmRepresentatives. Reminded me that there's a big Aussie vein I been meaning to access... Feedtime, etc.

Man, all the scumrock talk is makin' me realize that the only thing I have any regrets about my long-term live-in relationship is that I have some severe limits on when I can jam any of these gnarled subgenres. Gotta hook up my headphones to get through more than half a single side of the Broken Flag box w/out pleading eyes being cast my way, which wasn't really an issue in my book but I just acquired some new stereo components and now looking over this stuff crave some FLOOR SHAKING. There's never any harsh words for the harsh noise, but damn if the gentle entreaties don't trump the pain-lust every time. Shit. I'm old and a pushover and altogether NOT TRV CVLT. As if the Peter Gabriel wasn't indicator enough. Fortunately, I can fall back on some dubstep 12"s for the floorshaking part and get some ass-shaking thrown in to boot. Life ain't that bad...

Oh yes, I give a full seconding to Moodymann as mentioned above. Silentintroduction, Black Mahogany, Forevernevermore... all jams all the way.

Out.
                          I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• qnc.hst
                            • Oct 2007

^ Heh, not sure that I've got much more insight than that I dig it. Call me a Wire-readin' (though it's been a while) "Hauntological" apologist. "Crackle blues"? Check. "Aquatic production"? Can't get enuff.

Hell, this thing is 6 lps! That's a whole lp more than the Well Tuned Piano! Riding the crossroads between drone and dance music for a few years now, I WANT LONGER TRACKS/RELEASES! Funny how with hip-hop (sidenote: following the 2k9 "h-pop" controversy, I couldn't help but wonder why I never saw the term "hyp-pop". And... would "hyp-hop" be like Screw tapes?) was (generally rightfully, imo) often derided as being full of overlong releases packed with filler... like, just 'cause a CD can hold 67 minutes, yadda yadda... but I just can't get enough of these EXTENZ gobbling endurance tests. Hell, endurance test isn't the right word. "Sonic environments". I get bummed when I find out that a 12" single spins at 45rpm -- sound quality be damned! -- 'cuz that means it ain't gonna be 18 minutes until I have to flip the record again.

But yeah. Leyland Kirby. I like it. 6 lps AND it sounds good. Now that I've got a portable music device again, strongly considering snagging a CD copy as well so I can sink into the miasma on my bus commutes.

Speaking of Miasmah...
                            I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Tia
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2009

the nwe album of these new puritans,amazing

Comment

• wearejuststardust
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Tia View Post
                                the nwe album of these new puritans,amazing
                                great album

Comment