• Show
Clear All
  • doldrums
    • Dec 2008

today

i listened to bill orcutt - new way to pay old debts

all day un-real

i would pay well for recordings of this:

when i watch paul hession (humor me i used to play) it reminds me of being 17 and watching damon che = mind blowing

too bad i cant stand to listen to a harry pussy record for more than a few min

topped it off with assorted keith jarret

Comment

• laughed
      • Jul 2009

i'm not a HUGE us maple fan but talker was great. Plus i never really knew what the heck was their deal. I remember seeing this video of them in their early days and it was like, uh, weird. like comedy rock or something and they looked geeky.

Comment

• croatoan
        • Jul 2007

Today was the anniversary of the death of Jutok Kaneko, guitarist of the great Japanese heavy psychedelic band Kousokuya. I spent the night watching live video and archival footage of him and the band.

edit: Also, I found video of a Maher Shalal Hash Baz performance that I participated in last night/this morning [all night gig...] I took video of it, too, but my camera was stationary and in what turned out to be a really boring angle. Audio turned out nicely, though.

Last edited by croatoan; 01-24-2010, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• abstraccion
          • Nov 2009

First post here

[/youtube]6ax_UXCES68[/youtube]

Comment

• thehouseofdis
            • Jan 2010

I've been listening to a lot of vinyl releases on Rune Grammofon recently.

Currently, I'm really into the new Fire! lp You Liked Me Five Minutes Ago and the last Bushman's Revenge lp You Lost Me At Hello

I've also been listening to Imaad Wasif's lastest album The Voidist repeatedly since it came out and Rowland S. Howard's final record Pop Crimes.

Last but not least is the fantastic Leyland Kirby triple vinyl Sadly, The Future is No Longer What it Was
            THE HOUSE OF DIS
            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• TypicalFashion
              • Mar 2007

Pajo - Scream With Me

Comment

• croatoan
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
                edit: Also, I found video of a Maher Shalal Hash Baz performance that I participated in last night/this morning [all night gig...] I took video of it, too, but my camera was stationary and in what turned out to be a really boring angle. Audio turned out nicely, though.

Thought I would post some MP3s from my recording..
                Shoes
                Job
                Moving Without Ark
                McCloud

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                  • Jan 2010

Bohren & Der Club of Gore Dolores

excellent
                  THE HOUSE OF DIS
                  embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

good collection to throw on the ipod for walking around
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• eaglewood
                      • Feb 2007

Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi. I always hated dixieland jazz but this makes it very easy to listen to. Brilliant band playing on this too.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post

good collection to throw on the ipod for walking around
                        and excellent for boosting testosterone levels
                        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Dropt
                          • May 2009

So much swagger in this

Comment

• wearejuststardust
                            • Apr 2009

alexander turnquist - as the twilight crane dreams in color
                            Last edited by wearejuststardust; 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• klangspiel
                              • Apr 2007

some fantastic stuff cited in the last page or so - kousokuya, scissor girls, us maple, lake of dracula, orcutt / hession, to name but a few. the footage of orcutt & hession is particularly good. hession is quite a stalwart in the british free music / improv scene and in the broader constellation of european improv as well. most famously he's part of one bad-ass ball-busting fire-blowing free-jazz trio with alan wilkinson and simon fell - both heavyweights themselves. the trio are god-like when the ocassion calls for it. they're that good. think the channelled ferocities of mid-70s ny free-jazz loft scene (tyler, murray, rivers, ali, et al) and european avant jazz circa late 60s (broetzmann, parker, bennink, kowald, et al.), and you'd come pretty close to where these gentlemen draw their lines of allegiance. highly recommend checking out the trio's the horrors of darmstadt or st john's (on ecstatic peace) for an intense blowout.

hession has also worked with a certain stefan jaworzyn (early founding member of skullflower / forced exposure scribe / whitehouse ex-member). most notably as part of jaworzyn's current incarnation of ascension. the ascension were a great great band - certainly one of my faves from the 90s. a rare foray in successfully welding together the finer and trickier contours of free noise, experimental rock and avant-jazz. if you dig the dead c, the sightings (circa '00 - '05 when they were still blowing-up and red-lining decibels as a rock / punk artform), and an amplified derek bailey or fred firth, the ascension might just be up your alley.

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
                              too bad i cant stand to listen to a harry pussy record for more than a few min
                              do not hold steadfast to the stubborn partiality of your listening faculties, young grasshopper. continue and persevere with the way of the pussy. for the reward in such perseverance is the revelatory discovery of the greatest band of all-time. ever.

so what's adris hoyos up to these days? is she still putting musical activities on indefinite hold? the world needs her now more than ever. too many piss-weak shit "noise" bands at the moment :)

Comment

• coup de grace
                                x
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
                                nice to see you posting here again. couldn't quite get into pajo's solo material after slint. then again, how the fuck is anyone or anything supposed to come close to, never mind top, spiderland?
                                i heart spiderland more than god but there's something to be said for keeping things fresh. if you havent listened to 'scream' yet merz, take a listen, you might be into it. its angry in a quiet way like slint.

np: love life, the rose he lied by

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎