kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: What are you listening to?

[quote user="AKA*NYC"][quote user="Faust"]

Grazhdanskaya Oborona - Everything is According to Plan
      </p>

Just found out, R.I.P. [70] [51]</p>

[/quote]</p>

Awesome band. I heard the bad news last week. Did you catch them when they played in New York last year, Faust? I was out of town but my friends who attended said it was nuts... </p>

[/quote]</p>

No, I missed it. To be honest I've been out of touch with the Russian "Bohemia" scene in NYC for a while, although I used to be pretty heavily in the loop (in the days when Gogol Bordello played in front of a 50 people audience).</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

[quote user="xeefus"]Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary
        the album. I'm obsessed with it...
        [/quote]</p>

i'm not in love w the modern world
        </p>
        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• gusgusterson
          • Mar 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

No, I missed it. To be honest I've been out of touch with the Russian "Bohemia" scene in NYC for a while, although I used to be pretty heavily in the loop (in the days when Gogol Bordello played in front of a 50 people audience).</p>

[/quote]</p>

What was the party on Canal and Broadway(?) that they played/DJed at on Saturdays? Those parties were nuts. You had to really misbehave to turn a head there.</p>

</p>

edit: mehanata</p>

Comment

• xeefus
            • Oct 2007

[quote user="philip nod"]

[quote user="xeefus"]Wolf Parade - Apologies To The Queen Mary
            the album. I'm obsessed with it...
            [/quote]</P>

i'm not in love w the modern world
            </P>[/quote]

Heh. You don't like the song or just singing from it? I think that's the best song on the album.

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

love that song

Comment

• Komakino
                • Sep 2007

as always this thread is a great and interesting source of music... right now I can't get enough of Battles - Mirrored - probably my favourite album that's come out recently.</P>

Mixing it in our store stereo with Scott Walker - Scott 3, and Kompact - Total 8. Kinda weird combination butso good...</P>

- Jon</P>
                For purchasing information please email campbell@darklandsberlin.com

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

picture this: nyc. walking down 6th ave from central park to soho at rush hour on a gorgeous fall day listening to the Battles. dodging people like frenzied bullets is the Battles.

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

just got my tix in the mail for TOKYO POLICE CLUB. have not been this excited for a show in long time. </p>

edit: and NO AGE. </p>

off the hook </p>

Comment

• Komakino
                      • Sep 2007

[quote user="philip nod"]picture this: nyc. walking down 6th ave from central park to soho at rush hour on a gorgeous fall day listening to the Battles. dodging people like frenzied bullets is the Battles.
                      [/quote]</P>

It's coming up 5 years since I visited nyc... I think it's due. And I'll be bringing Battles with me.</P>

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

sweet! rush hour awaits you!

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Komakino"]

as always this thread is a great and interesting source of music... right now I can't get enough of Battles - Mirrored - probably my favourite album that's come out recently.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Checked it out - the music is brilliant, but what's the purpose of the singer? Unite this band with someone possessing fiery lyrics and this will be a real winner.</p>
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Komakino"]

as always this thread is a great and interesting source of music... right now I can't get enough of Battles - Mirrored - probably my favourite album that's come out recently.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Checked it out - the music is brilliant, but what's the purpose of the singer? Unite this band with someone possessing fiery lyrics and this will be a real winner.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I don't think they're that kind of band, especially considering where they come from ( i.e. Don Caballero). If you're looking for something bearing a passing semblance with a little more singing, Pinback might be up your alley (although I wouldn't describe them as "fiery" either). Personally, I think the amount of singing and the effected vocals are flawless for the band and were a perfect innovation to help make the album seem an evolution from their EPs.
                            </p>
                            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Komakino
                              • Sep 2007

The lyrics might be the only place for the band to improve... although I like the non-sensical "computer squeek"-vocals on most of the songs. Definitely a nice addition to a band that used to be instrumental only, though. </P>

Another great band almost in the same vein, except with more 8-bit-beeps-and-bloops, is Crystal Castles. Their album has a couple more throwaway tracks on it, though.</P>

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="gusgusterson"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]</p>

What was the party on Canal and Broadway(?) that they played/DJed at on Saturdays? Those parties were nuts. You had to really misbehave to turn a head there.</p>

</p>

edit: mehanata</p>

[/quote]</p>

Mehanata is gone now, right? I was very, very bad there once. [79] I thought it was a Hungarian joint though...
                                </p>
                                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎