X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

endorphinz,

I wasn't directing the "how to avoid injury" comments towards you. What you've been through sounds absolutely horrible. I'm sad it happened. I don't have any idea if it was avoidable, or feel that I have any business giving you advice 20 years too late. I am sorry if I gave that impression (and, rereading, it definitely seems I did).

I just wanted to generally answer MoFiya's question. Because, even though shit happens, there is much you can do to mitigate it when shit does happen.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endorphinz
      Banned
      • Jun 2009

no worries my friend... I know what you meant

to this day I can't figure out why the total degeneration of my shoulders ( particularly my dominant left) gave me no warning at all... a few minutes before the straw broke I was crushing a racquetball ... hitting overhead ceiling shots for fun, swinging freely with no pain at all... I was actually preparing for a tournament.

sure, I guess it could've been prevented by easing of the abuse. (I never realized I was abusing them cuz they never said a word) but all my drs weren't so sure cuz ..... sometimes shit just happens.... that was their medical opinion

Comment

• chandler
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
        high bar... should add that @ 375 I cheated a bit and didn't go ass to grass. I'd go up to 405 for partials and could easily rep out 25 @315.... talk about vo2 max

but like I said my bench was never as strong.

I got into lifting very late in life.i played sports practically from infancy but never really used weights. I never ran for distance. I hate it. I could chase down any ball on a football or baseball field or tennis court and be the first to a loose pick but i can't run distance. I live a few blocks from one of the most famous cross country courses in the us and I've never run it. I guess I need a carrot dangling in front if my face to run. I did, however, sometimes go to a track and run a few 400s from time to time and sprints.

My thing was pushups..... and then more pushups.... thousands a day... weighted (50lb backpack) push-ups... different hand positions,push-up stands....... did I mention I now got no shoulders?

when I started to lift I did so more for aesthetics than for strength or athletic performs so I was into hypertrophy (never wanted to get huge tho) and striations... hence the reps ,cables. & isolations. my prob was always genetics.... wasn't blessed with the best and I got easily frustrated 'till I learned to accept it and stopped comparing myself to genetically blessed kids who were 1/2 my age.

I need to correct you. I didn't enjoy training I l LOVED it... everything about it. the work, discipline, progress... all if it.

getting back into it? you sound just like my friends. my shoulders are more than bad. just about EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING i do these daze makes me wince. it's hard to explain. The shoulder joint is involved in just about every upper body movement. Turning a page in a magazine can sometimes make me see stars... depends on the angle of rotation. I've gone into the gym a few times in the last 1 1/2 years only to walk out a few minutes later. I'm sure ill try again. it sucks but sometimes I think it's better to accept facts & move on instead of dwelling on the past and what can't be anymore.

training was something I could always fall back on... not a function of $$$ or anything really... just health...

hope you never get to where I am now... yeah, I'm bitter & quite envious.but I live vicariously so please keep posting

Sorry. I need video to believe this. 375x10 is a 500 lb single. I don't buy it for a 150 lb lifter and definitely not for one eating under 2500 calories. An elite level lifter at that weight is barely over 400

Proportionally that would be like a 600+ deadlift and a 350+ bench.

Internet makes everyone stronger. :-)

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
          Banned
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by chandler View Post
          Sorry. I need video to believe this. 375x10 is a 500 lb single.
          everything else aside, this simply isnt true. people arent math equations. training for a 1-3 reps and 10+ is vastly different. its like taking a sprinters 100m time and trying to guess his 800m

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

Sorry. I need video to believe this. 375x10 is a 500 lb single I don't buy itfor a 150 lb lifterand definitely not for one eating under 2500 calories

it's really not important that you do

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Proportionally that would be like a 600+ deadlift and a 350+ bench
              Yeah... Lets all make proportions up.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endorphinz
                Banned
                • Jun 2009

anybody use a weight vest? I have a very old one that is very bulky/cumbersome and uncomfortable. They make some really nice ones now that seem to conform to the body and use soft weights rather than metal. I'm thinking of getting one and climbing stairs... I live on the 21st floor so I have easy access to...... stairs

don't know if my shoulders can take it but I guess I gotta try sumthin

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Couple quick thoughts. Again, I'm not offering them from a position of any kind of authority, just thinking.

1) Have you tried wearing a compression shirt when you walk/run/stair-climb? It might reduce the movement in your shoulders and make them hurt less.

2) What about swimming with a kickboard? That should keep your shoulders from jiggling.

3) Or do like this guy: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...exercise-video

MIR is supposed to make good weight vests.

Comment

• endorphinz
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009

eddie seems to have more range of motion than i do

shoulder was actually terrible last night. i wore this on and off for several hours and then broke down and took some oxy.(i take anti inflams everyday)

yeah i've worn all types of compression stuff and various braces....not for the shoulder cuz they're worthless but for the elbow. see thats the thing the shoulder radiates pain everywhere,the elbow seeming to be pain central. the wraps help a lil and when i lifted i always wore them as well basketball shooter sleeves on both arms underneath. i use heat and ice packs almost daily. i really dont think there's anything i haven't tried but please don't stop suggesting stuff

i was looking at the MIR vest as well as THESE. lots of variety and choices

Comment

• chandler
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post
                      everything else aside, this simply isnt true. people arent math equations. training for a 1-3 reps and 10+ is vastly different. its like taking a sprinters 100m time and trying to guess his 800m
                      I agree that there will be variation but this is also something that has been well studied

And as far as proportions go they too can vary but as lifters get more advanced they then to converge reasonably well

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

endorphinz, for compression, I wasn't thinking it would let you use your shoulders, I was just wondering if essentially locking the joint in place (with moderate compression) would make for less soreness after walking or stairclimbing or the like.

My experience has been that 1 RM calculators are pretty crap for me and for the people I exercise with. I wonder if it's more accurate for pure weightlifters than for people doing strength and conditioning together. Meh, I dunno. For us, the numbers are most closely stacked.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                          • Jan 2011

^ any weight vest recs? i too need a really comfortable one that wont hurt me if i take some more uncontrolled falls..

Comment

• Jan 2011

Can any runners on here comment on the amount of recovery time to allow for a muscle tear? It's been about two weeks now and I'm going nuts not being able to go for a run. I'm just afraid I'll tear it again.

Comment

• chestercopperpot
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 888 View Post
                              Can any runners on here comment on the amount of recovery time to allow for a muscle tear? It's been about two weeks now and I'm going nuts not being able to go for a run. I'm just afraid I'll tear it again.
                              It depends on the severity of the tear. Anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.

Do NOT try to work out a torn muscle. Bad idea. Better to wait 6 weeks and start conditioning again.

I can easily identify with the frustration. I tore a muscle and was out nearly 3 months.

Best of luck and take it easy.

Comment

• chandler
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post

My experience has been that 1 RM calculators are pretty crap for me and for the people I exercise with. I wonder if it's more accurate for pure weightlifters than for people doing strength and conditioning together. Meh, I dunno. For us, the numbers are most closely stacked.
                                There is variation for sure but in my experience they are reasonably close if calculating 10 reps or less. Obviously mileage will vary because these are based on statistics

Not to poke the earlier issue further (I have no ax to grind with the poster; but do have an issue w trying to dissuade or scare people off from what I think is a legitimate and effective exercise regime) but a push-up reportedly burns 0.825 calories or 825 calories per 1000

So how a 150 lb male (1800 calories Maintenance for sedentary lifestyle) does 1000s of push-ups a day, plus elite lift plus racquetball and everything else on less than 2500 cals a day seems dubious

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎