• Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by chandler View Post
    a push-up reportedly burns 0.825 calories
    I'm always entertained by calorie/exercise thoughts. Such as:

340 pushups = 1 x
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endorphinz
      Banned
      • Jun 2009

@chandler: what you believe is irrelevant. i'm 58 and have trained and participated in sport for most of my life. I have been certified by pros. i dont need yours

@theetruscan:I get what you mean about compression stabilizing the joint to prevent jarring during non shoulder involved exercises. In my experience the shoulder is difficult to "lock down". I guess a dr or trainer could tape it down but I really don't think that there's anything that I could put on/apply by myself that would really prevent the small movement caused by stair climbing etc

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
      ^ any weight vest recs? i too need a really comfortable one that wont hurt me if i take some more uncontrolled falls..

i think THIS or THIS would be good to wear while climbing...probably the shorter one.I don't own either but i'm thinkin 'bout getting 1

HIGHLY recommended...addresses the science behind training
      Last edited by endorphinz; 02-24-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• kuriz
        • Nov 2010

endorphinz: reading through the last few pages was really eye opening. I have been doing different crossfit exercises mostly olympic lifting and then my passion for pull-ups (I'm sure that the amount my body lets me take isn't nearly as many as push-ups, but I believe it's a bit of the same feeling). Two months ago though I was doing an intense workout and then all of a sudden while doing the Karen workout (150 wall balls) at the 70th or so ball throw my shoulder made almost like an internal screech and I was not able to use it without lots of pain.
        Luckily for me I am now starting to recover and had my first lifting session a few days ago, with just a few kilos and not many repetitions and it felt great.

Two pages ago or so you completely described that feeling that at least I have: an older guy trying to tell us something that we can read and understand but not really comprehend because we've just not experienced and been through all the things that you have. This indeed is the case at least for me, but out of curiosity, when you say that push-ups were your thing, how many would you make like in a general day? Obviously at the age of 23 there's no apparent reason to simply stop working out or exercising, but is there something that you now think would have made it so you wouldn't have such injuries later on? The common sense argument presented earlier isn't bad, but you also said yourself that you didn't get any words from your shoulders until it was too late so I'm thinking that common sense could be a bit hard to use in time.

Comment

• endorphinz
          Banned
          • Jun 2009

let me start by saying my pushup thing grew into an unhealthy obsession/addiction. i couldn't leave my house without doing them. if i did i felt horrible. if i left without doing them and went to work, i'd close/lock my office and do them there...taking off a suit and tie.

i'd start out doing warm up sets of 30-50....then i'd psych myself up and do a set of about 700. i had this weird counting scheme embedded in my brain with short term goals. during the psych period i would repeat this scheme under my breath sounding almost like a buddhist chant...i was fuckin crazy....after the long set i did a few sets of 50 with the 50lb backpack...then i was finished and could go to work

it got to the point that i hated then so much that i had to allot 2 hours extra in the morning for them...the actual pushups took less than 1/2 hr...i needed the other 1 1/2 to pace around my room & psych myself up.

i was crazy and yes in spite of all this craziness, i had no warning of my impending doom...none.

and yes,i'm sure not all 1000 were perfect

oh my now retired pushup stands..took me a long time to perfect the grip/padding

so to answer your question kuriz, just try to remain sane
          Last edited by endorphinz; 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• samlasamla
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post

shoulder was actually terrible last night. i wore this on and off for several hours and then broke down and took some oxy.(i take anti inflams everyday)

yeah i've worn all types of compression stuff and various braces....not for the shoulder cuz they're worthless but for the elbow. see thats the thing the shoulder radiates pain everywhere,the elbow seeming to be pain central. the wraps help a lil and when i lifted i always wore them as well basketball shooter sleeves on both arms underneath. i use heat and ice packs almost daily. i really dont think there's anything i haven't tried but please don't stop suggesting stuff
            Two and a half years ago I suffered a grade III AC joint separation in a sporting accident. I had to wear something similar to this to get the ligament to heal.

Comment

• kuriz
              • Nov 2010

endorphinz: that's a lot of push ups. It really does surprise me that your body didn't say anything at an earlier point. Also the whole 'use common sense' makes a lot more sense now, it just seems like it didn't for you at that time. I see myself as fit and in good shape and this morning I just had to see how many push ups I was able to do. I managed to do 50 (with the last 10 being a bit sloppy) which to me seems like a lot. I can't even think of how long that would take ..... 700, that's so many!

I will remember to remain sane, thank you old man endorphinz (*said with an anime voice*)

Comment

• endorphinz
                Banned
                • Jun 2009

btw: that blue contraption is an ice pack/wrap

and,thought this was relevant
                In his first plate appearance of spring training, Granderson fractured his right forearm when he was struck by a pitch in the first inning of the Yankees’ 2-0 loss. Granderson, an outfielder, is expected to miss 10 weeks, an absence that will extend into May. The Yankees’ regular-season opener is April 1.
                shit happens
                Last edited by endorphinz; 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

I don't want to seem rude, but it sounds like you were an anorexic endorphinz

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

sounds more like ocd to me (which I guess anorexia could also fall under(?) I don't judge though, I get very compulsive about things.
                    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

yes....OCD...definitely

anorexic...lol.. not at all... not even close.... I ate 5 x/day.. but almost 0 fat, <15-20gms/day..... almost all protein.
                      ya gotta remember that when I started this stuff FAT was the big enemy. no one ever talked about carbs in a bad way

I am a midget..about 5'7 1/2" and weighed about 150-155lbs when I stopped...now I'm 137-140lb

full disclosure or TMI:

in the late 70s -early 80s i was very thin. I didn't eat much.... usually ham/egg/cheese sandwich for breakfast and then nuthin ''till 10-11pm... I think I weighed~120lbs
                      not because I was anorexic or that I was afraid to gain weight but, SIGH, I wanted to get high...... that period was the era of quaaludes and i LOVED them..prob still would if they were around.... anyway, dropping ludes after work was a ritual in my showroom... (I mean so was coke again remember the period, but I much preferred quaaludes.) and I wanted an empty stomach to make the lude's job easier
                      I didn't lift during this period but did do the push-ups EVERYDAY and played tennis

editorial:

quaaludes were the PERFECT recreational drug. non addictive ,no hangover just bliss and a good nite sleep... oh, and they were definitely an aphrodisiac.

quaaludes + studio54=good times.

I have an absolutely beautiful armani suit from the first season Barney's imported his line. they were the first and only store in the us to carry it. I'm guessin 78'/79'. it probably is a 44 and the waist of the pants were altered to about 26-27in... nicest suit I've ever seen... db notch lapel single pleated pant with on seam besom pockets in a greenish heavy woolen... horsehair shoulders... the works.....if anyone is interested in giving it a new home.hit me up... it won't be cheap.

Comment

• t-bone
                        • Dec 2009

Missed the resurgence of this thread. I'm lucky to not have had any reoccurrence of my minor shoulder injury since I joined a Crossfit box and have had coaches eyes on me for the past year or so. A LOT of my movements have been fixed/corrected/improved in that time, and as such I've made a ton of progress on things that I was otherwise stalled out on.

I'm definitely lucky to have found a spot with great coaches and a great community, I know it's a crapshoot these days with affiliates popping up everywhere, but I can't Imagine ever going back to a regular globo gym now (it helps that we pay for memberships through work, so I don't have to foot the bill).

I am just wrapping up an 8-week strength-only cycle there that was awesome. 3x a week, Squat, Press, Bench, and Deadlift only, with some auxiliary Cleans and Weighted Chins. Put on 10lbs and added probably 15% to all lifts. Now to go back to conditioning... not excited to huff and puff for the first few weeks.

Comment

• endorphinz
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009

wish crossfit was around when I trained tho I don't know if I would've gotten into the "cult"... I mean community aspect of it :) . I watch the games on espn and can't helped but be impressed with the competitors.

listen. anything you do to participate in sport and train is good. it's all about CONSISTENCY and being able to make the commitment part of your life and not just a fad... like harnden . you need to actually enjoy your time in the gym and the discipline involved in preparation. if you do, you see results & that reinforcement fuels your long term involvement.
                          Last edited by endorphinz; 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Jan 2011

I've tried crossfit and enjoy those kinds of workouts, but I don't go for the whole 'team sports' atmosphere. I enjoy working out alone with my headphones far too much to ever join a 'box' again.

Comment

• Pontifex
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                              I am just wrapping up an 8-week strength-only cycle there that was awesome. 3x a week, Squat, Press, Bench, and Deadlift only, with some auxiliary Cleans and Weighted Chins. Put on 10lbs and added probably 15% to all lifts. Now to go back to conditioning... not excited to huff and puff for the first few weeks.
                              Some variant of Starting Strength?
                              oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• t-bone
                                • Dec 2009

Kind of, the strength coach at my gym programs specifically for each person, but it's basically a 3x5 linear progression.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎