Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raw
    • Oct 2009

If your gym have stability balls you can try the stability ball jackknife too.

Renegade rows are good as well, I use 17.5kg dumbbells for 10-12 reps per side and they are killer. You gotta keep your core tight and torso as flat as possible. I see some people lean to one side way too much when doing the row.

Comment

• shdws
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by endersgame View Post

going backwards from what i was told is to get me to use my core to retain balance/form, rather than just legs, even though it may seem like an all legs exercise.

Don't forget your lower back dude, having a strong core also consist of your cobra back .

After planks, or you feel your core is strong enough, start doing hanging leg raises, wipers, shredder dips etc, basically anything calisthenics you automatically work your core if you stay rigid and don't involve momentum.

Then it's kinda necessary to work your lower back to compensate and "balance" back out. Hyperextensions, deadlifts what not.
      Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Anyone else ever had shoulder impingement? its been bothering me for a few months now, thought it was gone once but as soon as I got back to the gym, it was there. Now I've been out of the gym for another 4 weeks but it hasn't changed much. Thankfully it only gets irritated in a very particular path of motion so it doesn't hurt most of the time. got a cortison injection a couple of days ago, will have to wait and see whether it helps..
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• MoFiya
          • Sep 2007

Do you regulary train your rotator cuffs? If not, google it. Try YTIs et al.
          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

yes, I've always done rotator exercises to prevent imbalance and injuries. that makes it even a bit more annoying to have this issue... but I guess its possible to have a tendency for it, and I just finally managed to irritate it enough.

went back to the gym yesterday and the shoulder feels fine overall, but the same specific movements still sting so the problem is definitely there.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Macro
              • Apr 2008

A, what specific movement irritates your shoulder?
              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• shdws
                • Sep 2011

I had shoulder issues due to taking a a massive stack on my skateboard, so I had a period where any deltoid work (right side), I'd be in pain.

I'm guessing shoulder pressing (dumbbell) causes your discomfort? or front raises most likely.

How much weight do you do for your rotator cuff exercises?, it's important that you lift next to nothing for this and focus entirely on slow ROM and form.

Also from reading up on my condition and consulting with doctors, if it is just a cortisone shot, it doesn't mean it's anything too serious, i.e like torn ligaments or worse tendons, but I know it still hurts like a mofo and is a terrible thing to have. Was it an inflammation in the bursa sack? hence the shot?

Did you try anti inflammatory meds first.......I hope you did.

Try what I did:

Cold showers, just suck it up even in winter (until your shoulder recovers)
                Skins during workout
                Keep the shoulder as warm as possible during workout

TBH after a cortisone shot, you should wait a couple of months before you lift again, it's better to lose gains than to not make anymore or affect any of your other lifts (easy to say, hard to do, I always lift through injuries, I'm an idiot).
                Last edited by shdws; 07-19-2013, 01:58 PM.
                Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

D, the somewhat painful movement is raising the arm from about °100 upwards, but only when done about 45° to the side, ie between a front and side raise. the most painful move is this rotational movement where I have my arm lifted 90° to the side, elbow also at 90° hand pointing upwards, and I rotate it backwards and outwards about 45° simultaneously. a bit like pulling your arm back to throw a ball. this is not a very common motion hence why it isn't bothering me all the time, but this is where it really stings, I think here the exact tendon (or whatever it is) thats irritated rubs on the acromion.

shdws, this wasn't due to any notable injury so I think its pretty different, it seems to be more related to irritation due to the impingement. shoulder presses are fine, especially bar, except behind the neck pressing is painful. that and side raises is what I definitely don't want to try right now. most other things I can do, but I try to be careful of course.

the cortisone was to treat any inflammation in the tendons and pretty much test to see if it helps. there definitely isn't anything torn or such as the pain is fairly mild. I was told its fine to do anything that doesn't clearly affect the shoulder / cause discomfort.

any way, if it persists I was told by the orthopedist that I should go to an MRI to get a better idea of whats wrong... right now its not looking like the injection is having much effect, from what I understood it should feel different quite quickly.

Comment

• endorphinz
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009

shoulders? someone say shoulders?

get X-rays first...they will show bone trouble, mri's won't.. they just show soft tissue. hopefully, the X-rays will show nuthin and it will be a soft tissue problem. I say hopefully cuz very little can be done to fix bone problems (ARTHRITIS) while soft tissue stuff (muscle, ligaments,tendons) can be worked on
                    If it is bone and not too serious they can clean up the joint by removing calcium deposits and/or shaving bone to make room for joint movement.
                    In any event, I strongly suggest diagnosing the situation so you know exactly what you're dealing with and you don't further exacerbate the problem to the point that it becomes unfixable. bone can definitely get to that point .... s i g h

btw: I've had over a dozen cortisone shots in my life and they've done virtually nuthin for me. as far as antiinflams go, you need to experiment to see which one(s) are effective for YOU... different peeps respond differently to diff meds...if you're lucky, you'll find one that offers some relief.

also, by ignoring the problem, you will unconsciously compensate and end up injuring something else

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

this might sound crazy, but i love doing burpees now. it's just very cardio packed in a short amount of time with added strength training for upper body and legs.

i'm doing sets of leaping burpees (jumping forward and backwards) while holding 25lb dumbbells. still hard, but not drop dead hard; but my legs still give out..

Comment

• Raw
                        • Oct 2009

Burpees are a great full body exercise.
                        Another good advanced variation is holding 2 hex shaped dumbbells and after the pushup part and planting your feet, instead of the jump, do a double arm snatch. This way you'll be stuffed before your legs give out.

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

raw, do you mean at push-up stance, pulling each weight to your chest and alternating?

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

Just did a quite google search.
                            Sorta like this but instead of just standing up you explode up and snatch the dumbbells overhead. I do them holding 2 25lb dumbbells and rarely ever get more than sets of 12 reps.
                            Trainer Kim Oddo and IFBB Figure Pro Krissy Chin demonstrate dumbbell burpees, designed to target the shoulders, chest, triceps and core while also elevating...

Comment

• endersgame
                              • Aug 2009

ohh. i've done that doing squats but not burps. my form is so bad doing the snatches, but i don't have the arm strength to do it with 25's. and yes, it is hard as f. blows out your arms and legs..

Comment

• Magician
                                • Jul 2008

Anyone have gym tracking apps to recommend for iphone?
                                Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎