Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stagename
    • Oct 2011

Honest question, how do you guys fit in your clothes? The more I train, the more I'm realizing there's a lot I have to cross off the list of things I can wear. Like pants, so I reduced squatting. And Rick's jackets and leathers. This is becoming annoying.

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

kunk and charly bot hwear a lot of Rick and are fairly big.

It definiely reduces your options though.

Comment

• unwashed
        • Dec 2008

I've only strained my back two times, one while squatting and the other while dead lifting. Both because of bad execution. I do make sure to stretch a lot! Even in between sets while pausing and make I make sure to do a good warming up (usually hyper extentions or leg raises). I'm still very new to these compound exercises (since 2 months), but I practiced a lot with lower weights just to get the right movements. So what's already been said is good nutrition, good warm up, good stretching.

Anybody following any specific programs? I have always just played around with exercises and only took muscle groups into consideration. Recently started this Jim Stoppani program called shortcut to size. Almost halfway through the program, but already haven't made this much progress in the last 6 weeks then all times I started working out before.
        Grailed link

Comment

• unwashed
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by stagename View Post
          Honest question, how do you guys fit in your clothes? The more I train, the more I'm realizing there's a lot I have to cross off the list of things I can wear. Like pants, so I reduced squatting. And Rick's jackets and leathers. This is becoming annoying.
          Rick advises pants with drawstrings

"Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead."
          - Rick Owens
          Grailed link

Comment

• qcqc
            • Oct 2012

squats are terrible for fashionz

Comment

• endersgame
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Senpai View Post
              Climbing is honestly way more technique than anything. The reason women are often so good in spite of being smaller than the men in the gym is they primarily focus on their technical abilities instead. Being a really small male myself, I found that I progressed the most when I made female climbing partners and took notes on their technique. That, in addition to watching Dave Graham's approach to bouldering and attempting to implement style similar to his. Finger strength is must though. Luckily, it's probably the easiest thing to strengthen you'll ever encounter. I recommend purchasing a hangboard and putting it somewhere in your house you'll be motivated to bust out a quick workout daily.
              yeah, there is a hangboard at my club, but i wouldn't want that in my apartment. my goal is to gain another 20 lbs so climbing will be even harder. everyone i've seen who've climbed difficult routes on top rope have been featherweight and short. i haven't seen a lot of big guys do well in this decipline..

bouldering is even harder for me because you can't rest on a harness. there was a girl in my bouldering class doing drills. she climbed so hard, she didn't realize the skin on her fingers were peeling off. pretty fucking gross...

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

I managed to purchase many of my favorite clothing pieces over a period of time in which I was working out very infrequently, so I've probably had to sell a good 1/3 of my wardrobe over the past 1.5 years after properly getting back to the gym...
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• deleuze
                  • Jul 2007

I run 50 miles/week in addition to spending 3 days in the gym so it is very hard to put on substantial muscle. And impossible to overeat. But lifting heavy, low reps, focusing on the compound movements, has resulted in huge strength gains without the excess weight.

Comment

• lazyguru
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by deleuze View Post
                    I run 50 miles/week in addition to spending 3 days in the gym so it is very hard to put on substantial muscle. And impossible to overeat. But lifting heavy, low reps, focusing on the compound movements, has resulted in huge strength gains without the excess weight.
                    For full body? how many sets/reps per exercise?
                    HAve been trying to figure out how to stay the same weight & lean out at the same time

Comment

• AHutching
                      • Sep 2012

I have to disagree about not doing squats.In order to reach the goal you have in mind squats or in this case training legs will get you there ALOT faster.There are a lot of things that come into play here.Are you on a very strict diet?I eat 6 meals a day and precook my meals 2 times a week..i have my protein,carb,fat intake spot on for my goals and they change each week or every other week.I am cutting just body fat..not the weight you step on the scale and want to achieve.I get a water test every month to see what my bf% is at.Legs are about 3/4 of your body.And by training them you will see much faster results.Its hard to measure as everyone trains different.My quads have gotten smaller..now if you are eating like shit and training them doing 10-12 reps with heavy weight yes they will grow..I am doing a hour of cardio on a empty stomach every morning and my diet doesn't have enough calories to grow even if i tried.Do lighter weight for you legs and do 20-30 reps with 45 sec rest periods..Shit will knock you dead.You get your results in the kitchen not the gym.So get that locked down if you want to reach your goal.

A few years ago i was in paris for mens fashion week and i went to the gym by my brothers place and i ran into rick there training.And he had that barbell on his shoulders doing ass to grass squats.

Comment

• Senpai
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                        yeah, there is a hangboard at my club, but i wouldn't want that in my apartment. my goal is to gain another 20 lbs so climbing will be even harder. everyone i've seen who've climbed difficult routes on top rope have been featherweight and short. i haven't seen a lot of big guys do well in this decipline..

bouldering is even harder for me because you can't rest on a harness. there was a girl in my bouldering class doing drills. she climbed so hard, she didn't realize the skin on her fingers were peeling off. pretty fucking gross...
                        Gain 20 lbs? That won't help you at all. If anything, climb with a weight vest on after you've began to master your technique and finger strength. Honestly, that won't come for a long time. I didn't throw resistance weights on until I hit my v10 and 5.13b plateaus. I don't lift or anything either, strictly cardio and yoga on the side. Unfortunately, my scoliosis and tendonitis this past year has caused me too great of pain to climb at all though.

Comment

• deleuze
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
                          For full body? how many sets/reps per exercise?
                          HAve been trying to figure out how to stay the same weight & lean out at the same time
                          I generally stick to 3 sets/5reps per exercise not including warm-ups. My program pretty much looks like this:

Day 1: Rack Pulls, Bench Press, Lunges
                          Day 2: Deadlifts, Pull-Ups, Dips
                          Day 3: Squats, Push Press, Face Pulls

I'll throw in some core work (leg raises, pallof presses) every now and then. On days I lift I'll keep my mileage to 3-4 miles and usually do it after the workout.

Comment

• Senpai
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
                            figure out how to stay the same weight & lean out at the same time
                            A good method to cut fat while avoiding burning muscle includes foods that train your body to metabolize fat, in addition to post fasted cardio. I occasionally replace breakfast with warm lemon water + cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, and green tea for breakfast before I go on a morning run. Another helpful food for this is replacing empty calories in your diet with coconut butter, as the fatty acids train your body to burn fat instead of carbs for energy.

Comment

• Picasso
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by deleuze View Post
                              I generally stick to 3 sets/5reps per exercise not including warm-ups. My program pretty much looks like this:

Day 1: Rack Pulls, Bench Press, Lunges
                              Day 2: Deadlifts, Pull-Ups, Dips
                              Day 3: Squats, Push Press, Face Pulls

I'll throw in some core work (leg raises, pallof presses) every now and then. On days I lift I'll keep my mileage to 3-4 miles and usually do it after the workout.
                              Wouldn't running first get your body warmed up making it easier to burn calories during the rest of your work out?

Comment

• stagename
                                • Oct 2011

I know the pain lowrey =/

Thanks deleuze. I agree! We have pretty similar work programs.

Originally posted by Picasso View Post
                                Wouldn't running first get your body warmed up making it easier to burn calories during the rest of your work out?
                                Running after working out is good to burn fat as your body is low in glycogen. Compounds done hard also drain lots of energy (at least for me) so it would make sense to do the cardio afterward. a light 5-10 jogs is enough as a warm up before work-outs.

also on the subject of compounds, i read your issue with strani back apathy and it might have to do with your core muscles not following your legs? Squats and dead-lifts are demanding for the core, I'd make sure to work the core before starting lifting heavy agian.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎