X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

has anyone tried acupuncture?

i went for the first time today. it was for inflammation from a minor cartilage tear on my wrist and rotator cuffs. being a skeptic prior to this, i have to say it kinda worked...there was still pain and my doc prescribed PT, but it felt like it was relief that would have taken more than a week of rest. i also got heat cups. wasn't sure if that did anything, or the magnetic lamp..

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

Acupuncture isn't some miracle cure but it can absolutely be a legit way of treating muscular/tissue dysfunctions.

Comment

• Senpai
        • Apr 2014

Acupuncture actually really helped my brother's allergies, which I thought was interesting. Pretty incredible the wide range of issues it can target

Comment

• stagename
          • Oct 2011

On the subject of acupuncture, I researched the subject when my mother suggested it to me. I used to think it was yet another alternative medicine wagon thingy, but there are several articles that have been published in established medical journals that showed that it works. My research was on allergies, I wouldn't know for anything else.

Comment

• nonomomo
            • Oct 2009

Acupuncture has actually helped me quite a lot.
            Whilst in the army, I injured my back and have a fracture and movement at my lumbar spine. Nothing gravely serious now though I expect complications in the future. Because of this I have frequent muscle strains along my hamstrings and lower back. I found acupuncture to relieve this very effectively, much better than stretching or physio for most parts.

However I think it is important to find a legitimate practitioner to administer this treatment. I have heard of a few horrors regarding this but most of them are very positive.

Comment

• Law
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by move_ment View Post

On the staying lean while lifting heavy topic, the most successful way which I absolutely swear by (for me, at least) to cut fat while lifting heavy, has most definitely been the Lean Gains/Intermittent Fasting approach from Martin Berkhan (http://www.leangains.com/). I didn't search, but would assume it's been discussed here before? Either way, the basic outline is:

- Fast 16hrs a day (I go ~9pm-1pm)
              - Get all of your calories within the remaining 8hr period (I go ~1pm-9pm)

*Bulking: aim for caloric surplus on work-out & rest days.
              *Cutting: aim for caloric surplus on work-out days, and caloric deficit on rest days.

Training fasted is ideal, but make sure you have BCAA's before working out at the very least. Make sure you have your big meal directly after training (in my case, lunch time), and then taper off caloric consumption into the evening.

Interested by what adding Yoga into this mix would do, actually. Might give it a try.
              The problem with cutting fat severely ,is that it will severely effect your testosterone and DHT levels, which will by default plummet, creating an additional domino effect of issues such as a loss of libido, motivation, not to mention hindrance on your recovery times.

The easiest way to keep you fat levels down whilst bulking, is to be on point at any given time as to what your maintenance level caloric requirements are and not stray too far over 500 additional calories. Then simply on rest days you eat at maintenance.

Comment

• move_ment
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Law View Post
                The problem with cutting fat severely ,is that it will severely effect your testosterone and DHT levels, which will by default plummet, creating an additional domino effect of issues such as a loss of libido, motivation, not to mention hindrance on your recovery times.

The easiest way to keep you fat levels down whilst bulking, is to be on point at any given time as to what your maintenance level caloric requirements are and not stray too far over 500 additional calories. Then simply on rest days you eat at maintenance.
                I do agree with you, and wouldn't recommend it for an extended period of time. But would recommend it for anyone wanting to get their body fat % down fast. I begun to struggle getting all my calories in that 8hr period (4000+), so found some middle ground via a more normal eating schedule, while fasting 16hrs 1-2 times a week.

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

The last few posts point to variability in the human body. When I cut fat (and keep calories ~the same), I gain fat mass. When I cut carbs in the same situation, I tend to lean out.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

why is running so hard on the track than on a machine?

after running in an indoor track for 1/2 a mile, i'm wasted. but i can do 5+ miles on a treadmill. is it the surface?

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

I think the biggest difference is that on a treadmill the surface is moving below you whereas on the ground some energy goes to your feet having to push you forwards. There is also wind resistance, but I believe both of these can be offset by using a small incline on the treadmill.

Another factor is pace, the treadmill controls it for you whereas outside you need to do it, which can result in varying speed and form. I think for very experienced runners this makes much less difference though.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

i don't think i knew how fast i was running or how to pace myself. and the mental picture of how much further you need to run to complete the circuit wasn't helping all these new leg pains that crept up. plus i wasn't wearing the right shoes. nike hurrache cross trainers. before i was on flyknites 3.0 which was good only for the 100m dash..

Comment

• Law
                          • Dec 2013

Because basically as Lowrey said, the treadmill is doing a lot of the work for you.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

I had to google it since I vaguely remembered reading about it; apparently a 1-2% incline will simulate running on the ground as closely as possible. Its still not the same thing though and apparently its good to vary the incline to make it more realistic and get some variation.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Senpai
                              • Apr 2014

Anyone here a crossfitter? I've been thinking about getting into it, as conceptually it makes a ton of sense. My only thing is I'm not trying to get "big" and every crossfit enthusiast I know is pretty damn muscular and large.

Comment

• Rommel
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by Senpai View Post
                                Anyone here a crossfitter? I've been thinking about getting into it, as conceptually it makes a ton of sense. My only thing is I'm not trying to get "big" and every crossfit enthusiast I know is pretty damn muscular and large.
                                I've participated in some crossfit events although I don't train for crossfit. There's definitely pros and cons to it. The workouts can be really great as you're doing it all, lifting, cardio, etc. However, it's important to have a solid understanding of the form for these movements as you can really injure yourself.

I'm also not a fan of what they do with some of the movements, i.e. there's strict pullups that they modify into kipping pullups which I think are fine since your still getting full motion with some help from your lower body and core.....but then there's these butterfly pullups which look like they don't really engage anything and you're really just using some strange momentum to do "reps".

Also, for some reason the memberships are really expensive...like $150-$200 a month in my area. Gym memberships here are like $20-$30 a month.

"muscular and large" is quite subjective as to me bodybuilders are large whereas crossfitters have a generally athletic and lean build.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎