X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Yes, some of them are. But others have been demonized simply because they transcend partisan squabbles.

I usually would not put a non-fashion article on SZ, but since a few people seem to be interested, here you go.
    Read it all,
    Great piece,

Next time you can send me a copy
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Thank you. I thought about it, but I don't know your email!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Thank you. I thought about it, but I don't know your email!
        how come? its everywhere!

I even have a web page with up for the last three years!

Its dialogue@zambarrett.com

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

aaaittt.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

aaaittt.
            i just began reading the other book you loaned me, by Umberto Eco,

I am juggling between that and the Law of Civilization and Decay by Brooks Adams............

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I would imagine Eco is the more palatable. This is the end, my only friend, the end. Ok, I am off to try to finish Augie March. What a book. What a writer.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

In the process of reading The Demon by Lermontov in the original russian
                It is much harder than I thought it was going to be, but still extremely enjoyable

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ledger
                  Half way through Haruki Murakami 'The wind up bird chronicles', second Haruki book i have read the other was 'Norwegian Wood', and i have to say i love them both however wind up is looking like it is going to be the better of two.
                  I read Norwegian Wood, it's the first and only book of his I have gone through - coincidentally enough I read it at a time in my life when a book like that was pretty much perfect. Based on what I've been told about his others I have a feeling I'll stop there...my old lady loves his books, but reads the Chinese translations - wonder if those would've been closer to the original texts...
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Everybody has to go through a Murakami phase :-) Same with guys like Palahniuk and Bukowski. You read them when you think you want to be cool before moving on to infinitely better authors. Which reminds me that it's time to rearrange my bookshelves (although I'd rather just buy a third bookcase) :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

Bukowski is like Ginsberg to me - I like the idea and cultural context surrounding them more than I have the will to sit through a lot of their material. If i want to get into a Bukowski-ish frame of mind I'd rather go and listen to some Tom Waits records.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                        If i want to get into a Bukowski-ish frame of mind I'd rather go and listen to some Tom Waits records.
                        To me Tom Waits is more Burroughs than Bukowski
                        I have arguments to back it up should anyone feel inclined to disagree with me

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ledger
                          I’d disagree with this actually (bold); I am not reading them as I am trying to be cool that would indeed be very shallow to think that a book would make me ‘cool’. A friend let me borrow Norwegian wood as she said I would probably like it (I had heard of Murakami before just never got round to reading anything), once completed I went to the book shop and bought Wind up bird because I enjoyed Norwegian wood, personally nothing to do with a ‘cool’ status what-so-ever.
                          It was not a dig at you. At a certain age we don't have much sense of perspective. Perspective comes with experience that comes with age. You hang out with your friends, who are same age, cultural level, etc. - you ask them to recommend a book and they recommend murakami. It's totally fine - no one is saying that they are bad or useless books. God, I sounds like such an old man.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deius
                            • Jul 2009

the depth of literary knowledge itt is amazing.
                            Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo
                            I really had no idea how fresh and vigorous this novel is to read today. The plotting is brilliant.

finished the first novel of the Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy on a friend's recommendation (mentioned on page 37). At first I was critical after going to it straight from Hemingway but it was actually a decent read.

Comment

• MaxM
                              • Sep 2009

Yet to read The Black Swan:The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
                              Seems really interesting

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Ravelstein, Saul Bellow.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎