• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Acéphale
    • Apr 2010

Arkadii Dragomoshchenko, Dust

«

Evenings, as usual, seemed endless to him. Time passed, even though he never quite understood the meaning of that phrase. Take a couple of objects, for instance: are they immersed in time, or does each one of them actually reflect time? In the first case, the picture is reminiscent of a stream (a ritual scene: obsidian knives, an old cupboard, a rock flying through a web of glass, etc.) filled with stones/objects that form eddies, become compressed: preserved. In the second, everything is much more complicated. I know what tomorrow will bring. This is a story about a man who once got really frightened. He was walking down the street and suddenly felt fear entering into him through his diaphragm, a sensation that reminded him of how he would have felt if he was falling in love. The meaning of the phrase "time passed" was gone, though its "disappearance" was itself beyond his perception. He had started doubting his premises, the numerous shells that were lying around him—particularly their "appearances," the "expansion" of their radiant moiré into the air around them. As in Trakl's black gardens.

Before, when he'd repeated some habitual phrase with a carefree regularity, he used to think of something (that now, in retrospect, seems) completely different. We are moving around an axis of assumptions. Gesticulations. The "eternal" turned out to be a single evening, its increasingly tattered threads of light dangling from the corner of his eye, or else a sentence without a subject. A destruction or restoration of balance—nothing more: when a period of non-writing begins, it's necessarily followed by a period of non-speech, because the intent to create has been deliberately constrained. Past this point we use different systems of measurement to sound reality's depths, despite the fact that this demarcation is nothing more than an auxiliary device. Length is measured by the speed of a moving shadow. Is seaweed beautiful? A change in a narrative's temporal modality rids us of our Cartesian arrogance—it's autumn now, but back then it was spring. Is it possible to say that seaweed is much more beautiful than the dryness in your mouth? She walks under the shadow of a red brick wall. Warm dust seeps through the cracks; small, dry acacia leaves; the shadow of a train lies behind or on top of all this.

»
    ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• trentk
      • Oct 2010

"He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Acéphale
        • Apr 2010

H. L. Mencken, A Book of Burlesques

«

Babies smelling of camomile tea, cologne water, wet laundry, dog soap,
        Schmierkase. Babies who appear old, disillusioned and tired of life at
        six months. Babies that cry "Papa!" to blushing youths of nineteen or
        twenty at church picnics. Fat babies whose earlobes turn out at an angle
        of forty-five degrees. Soft, pulpy babies asleep in perambulators, the
        sun shining straight into their faces. Babies gnawing the tails of
        synthetic dogs. Babies without necks. Pale, scorbutic babies of the
        third and fourth generation, damned because their grandfathers and
        great-grandfathers read Tom Paine. Babies of a bluish tinge, or with
        vermilion eyes. Babies full of soporifics. Thin, cartilaginous babies
        that stretch when they are lifted. Warm, damp, miasmatic babies.
        Affectionate, ingratiating, gurgling babies: the larvæ of life
        insurance solicitors, fashionable doctors, Episcopal rectors, dealers in
        Mexican mine stock, hand-shakers, Sunday-school superintendents. Hungry
        babies, absurdly sucking their thumbs. Babies with heads of thick,
        coarse black hair, seeming to be toupees. Unbaptized babies, dedicated
        to the devil. Eugenic babies. Babies that crawl out from under tables
        and are stepped on. Babies with lintels, grains of corn or shoe-buttons
        up their noses, purple in the face and waiting for the doctor or the
        embalmer. A few pink, blue-eyed, tight-skinned, clean-looking babies,
        smiling upon the world....

»
        ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I wish Mencken was mandatory reading in American schools (better yet, sucked in with mother's milk). I also wish we had a modern Mencken here. I guess Hitchens tried to pick up that flag, but didn't really happen.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mnml crmnl
            • Dec 2009

just finished steppenwolf by herman hesse. i have read narcissus and goldmund and demian.

im officially smitten by the man. any suggestions for other authors?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mnml crmnl View Post
              just finished steppenwolf by herman hesse. i have read narcissus and goldmund and demian.

im officially smitten by the man. any suggestions for other authors?
              You should read The Glassbead Game and Siddhartha. And, of course you should get the StyleZeitgeist magazine, the men's editorial shoot is based on Narcissus and Goldmund.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
                • Sep 2010

Being stuck in bed for most of the Summer = lots of reading time (want to read more from Berg's Dress, Body, Culture series)
                Thinking of reading Master And Margarita next though because I've been wanting to read it for ages.
                "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Holy, moly. The men's fashion reader sucked though. The fashion system - good luck with that one. If you get through it, I will personally buy you a drink in London. Adorned in Dreams is good. Japan Fashion Now, as anything by Valerie Steele is great.

You should also get stuff by Caroline Evans - she is fantastic. Fashion at the Edge is particularly good.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
                    • Sep 2010

Yeah I know right? It was rather boring and they kinda recycled chapters from other books which sucked.

Haha and already finished The Fashion System. Didn't really understand a lot of it , but I'll read up on his other work and tackle it again so that I'm confident (it reminded me of reading Derrida, although not as frustrating ). Definitely love Valerie Steele, her writing is fantastic, and I thought JFN was one of the best exhibition catalogues in a while.

Oh, and Fashion At The Edge is on my Amazon wishlist, I've read a bit here and there but haven't had the chance to sit down with it, can't wait
                    "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Honestly, I don't see the reason for reading Barthes on fashion. It's esoteric to the point of being irrelevant. One good essay was Blue is in Fashion This Year, about the arbitrary nature of assigning meaning in fashion, and even that could've been halved.

And stay away from anything by Christopher Breward.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
                        • Sep 2010

They referenced him several times in Fashioning The Frame, because they were from a literary background I suppose, so I thought it would be worthwhile giving it a read. I agree it's more about language than fashion, but I think it's important to have that understanding especially when tackling fashion from the point of view of its structures and reading dress in paintings and historical documents. Plus it's always better to read and disregard most of it than never to read it at all.

Oh and yeah Breward is for chumps, but it's easy reading.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Acéphale View Post
                          Arkadii Dragomoshchenko, Dust

Arkadii Dragomoshchenko, from PHOSPHOR

One would have to be an idiot to speak of a "sequel" to the
                          new. This is impossible to explain to artists. It's
                          utterly impossible even to explain it to the man who sits
                          rubbing the crystal eyes of the fish swallowed into the
                          museum's lottery drum. Ball lightning, rocking, froze over
                          my grandfather's glass of vodka and after a few moments
                          crept in through the window, where my grandmother, because
                          of her nearsightedness, took it for one of the demons living
                          in the kitchen in her glass jar which had somehow slipped
                          past the cockroach patrols. The terra-cotta colored morocco
                          leather of the book bindings, the faded imprint embossing
                          the leather, the copper coolness of the sextant, the
                          mother-of-pearl sheen of blackened silver inlaying the
                          yellow
                          bone paper knife--that day is no different from yesterday.
                          There are two types of suicide (of course, it's possible
                          there are more). First, when your will and the world's
                          desires meet and you are shattered while attempting to
                          enclose them in your own existence--you become too strong,
                          sturdy, bulky, heavy--and I don't pity you--like a porcelain
                          Christmas bird. Second, when you suddenly find yourself in
                          a realm of deafness, where nothing reflects anything else
                          and where for a while a terrifying image of a false world is
                          erected: what surrounds you surrounds you, fingers flowing
                          into the porous substance of matter, every second thought
                          finding uniquely correct solutions. No questions exist.
                          You are born, you die, you eat, you explain the essence of
                          phenomena, enumerating all of them. Or you don't enumerate
                          them. In which case, I don't pity you.
                          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

rereading writing and difference, cover to cover. this makes so much more sense the second time around.
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Big Punisher
                              • Aug 2009

Working on Catch 22, hilarious read.

Comment

• Synthese
                                • Jul 2010

Ugh. Bad luck with books, lately. I just finished Lev Grossman's The Magician King, and found it infuriatingly condescending, pointless, and didactic. Depressing only for the sake of being depressing, to show that he could make the damn thing depressing. Has anyone else read this?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎