X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
    Thinking it is about time to finally start going through some Lovecraft stuff.
    At The Mountains of Madness was the first Lovecraft story I read and remains my favorite:

H. P. Lovecraft's Tale of Antarctic death and madness, unabridged, in twelve chapters; read by William Hart.
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• viv1984viv
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by trentk View Post
      At The Mountains of Madness was the first Lovecraft story I read and remains my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9&feature=plcp
      It's fantastic, mountains are the core of horror. Frankenstein, Dracula etc etc
      Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• laughed
        • Jul 2009

Klang - nice reviews and will have to check those out.
        picked up Edouard Levé's Suicide and a couple more outside of France - Talismano by Abdelwahab Meddeb And Flotsam & Jetsam by Aidan Higgins. Have yet to dive in in, working on this one now -

for some reason i've stayed away from DeLillo....picked up a copy of Underworld (6 bucks for the HB, couldn't pass it up).....has anyone read this? I read reviews that praise it and call it a masterpiece and others say it is the exact opposite.
        Last edited by laughed; 05-20-2012, 09:33 PM. Reason: underworld

Comment

• Tafkap
          • Oct 2006

just got this in the mail today.

Comment

• Tafkap
            • Oct 2006

not so much reading, but what are your favorite photography books/monographs?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

/\ Actually would be a great new thread. I can't believe we still don't have one. Feel free to start (maybe not limit to photography though, but "coffee table" type of books).
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                • Apr 2008

finished:

TROPIC OF CANCER

DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?

=

now onto:

THE ROOM, HUBERT SELBY JR
                every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Magic1
                  • Jan 2011

myth of sisyphus - camus. So far it's phenomenal.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                    THE ROOM, HUBERT SELBY JR
                    This is an amazing book, utterly astounding, I wont say too much now. I was a massive HSJ fan a few years ago, this is his best work imo.
                    Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• Macro
                      • Apr 2008

Good to know. I've read LETB, The Demon, and RequiemFAD already. The demon was my favorite so far, but i've been told by others also this may be his best work.
                      Reading Selby is akin to being thrown under highway traffic, having your soul cleansed in piss. No other writer has truly shaken my very core.
                      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Czx
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
                        myth of sisyphus - camus. So far it's phenomenal.
                        It is, isn't it? Definitely one of my favorites from him, if not from the existentialism works as a whole.

@Macro - Have you watched Blade Runner? How did you liked it in comparision? I still didn't picked up the book and I'm wondering how does it fare against the movie, because I have heard various opinions on this matter.
                        néant
                        Last.FM paranoia
                        Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
                        0 > ∞

Comment

• fncyths
                          • Apr 2010

Revisiting the Make Up this weekend caused me to spend the afternoon thumbing through the lead singer's book :

The Psychic Soviet

Originally posted by Shucks
                          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                          Originally posted by interest1
                          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

slowly working my way through all 8 volumes of Charles Sanders Peirce's collected papers

and, for now, dipping into Borges on the side
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• trentk
                              • Oct 2010

Rilu - Reading all 8 volumes in a single go is a little crazy. Much of what I've been reading lately obliquely approaches Peirce through Category Theory / Contemporary Math, Literature, Painting, Architecture, Philosophy, Artificial Intelligence, Neuroscience etc so I'm more tying up a legion of loose strings than treading virgin land. Still, I'm finding that going through thousands of pages of Peirce is more than a little taxing. I'm sure I'll end up taking a few extended breaks.

Do you work in philosophy of science, or am I thinking of someone else?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I just realized something. Philosophers are the new tax lawyers. They create an artificially esoteric world delimited by a purposefully obscure language and become its self-appointed experts. Their expertise does not necessarily rest on their superior intelligence but on stamina and perseverance to slug it out through mountains of dead language.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎