• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
    Faust - is there anything like Blood Meridian - something as gothic and biblical?? The other McCarthy novels are not quite the same...

Could do with some new fiction after my Brassier binge...
    Nothing that I've read - this was fucking epic. Although, I consider The Road a quiet masterpiece.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• viv1984viv
      • Feb 2008

No, I can't think of anything as macabre and vivid as Blood Meridian - in the macro sense, I'm not interested in particular scene intensity but rather the panoramic scope of its violence and nihilism. The All the pretty horses trilogy seems PG rated by comparison.

The Road is a fantastic book, I always felt it was a restrained and knowing book, a book that could've been longer and pushed itself more - but didn't for the sake of overall effect and structural concision. A great book for dads....
      Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• winst
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by profondo nero View Post
        I can second this!

Also reading Speak, Memory by Nabakov on Nabakov. Beautiful and bad for the airplane when babies are snotting around you

Comment

• Jan 2011

Comment

• CAIN
            • Jun 2013

Les fleurs du mal by Charles Baudelaire

Comment

• Macro
              • Apr 2008

Just finished Blood Meridian, definitely the strongest read by McCarthy.

McCarthy's case for the endarkening soul of the world sprung from abated civilities our contemporary society has enscienced chills me.

The terrible evil the antagonist (no spoilers here) represents rings interminably in the transformative spiritual landscape of American modernity.

Read it.

Now, onto John Berryman's Dream Songs.
              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

We need the official SZ reading list. The last two posts are a good start.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• trentk
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  We need the official SZ reading list.
                  That's actually how I got into the SZ aesthetic. I was aware of it in ~ late 2007 but only really connected with it when I read (in The Paris Review) that Owens likes Huysmans and associated his aesthetic with (among other things, but especially:) the passage from A Rebours where Des Esseintes decides to furnish his room in an "austerely decadent" manner:

"he was compelled to design a room that would be like a monastic cell. But difficulties faced him here, for he refused to accept in its entirety the austere ugliness of those asylums of penitence and prayer.
                  By dint of studying the problem in all its phases, he concluded that the end to be attained could thus be stated: to devise a sombre effect by means of cheerful objects, or rather to give a tone of elegance and distinction to the room thus treated, meanwhile preserving its character of ugliness; to reverse the practice of the theatre, whose vile tinsel imitates sumptuous and costly textures; to obtain the contrary effect by use of splendid fabrics; in a word, to have the cell of a Carthusian monk which should possess the appearance of reality without in fact being so.
                  Thus he proceeded. To imitate the stone-color of ochre and clerical yellow, he had his walls covered with saffron silk; to stimulate the chocolate hue of the dadoes common to this type of room, he used pieces of violet wood deepened with amarinth. The effect was bewitching, while recalling to Des Esseintes the repellant rigidity of the model he had followed and yet transformed. The ceiling, in turn, was hung with white, unbleached cloth, in imitation of plaster, but without its discordant brightness. As for the cold pavement of the cell, he was able to copy it, by means of a bit of rug designed in red squares, with whitish spots in the weave to imitate the wear of sandals and the friction of boots."
                  "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ Nice. Wait, there was an article on Owens in Paris Review?!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                      • Apr 2008

Nothing that I've read - this was fucking epic. Although, I consider The Road a quiet masterpiece.
                      Moby Dick? lol at least that's what he gets constant comparison to with this book, that and Paradise Lost.

viv1984, I thought that to it's own point No Country For Old Men deals in addressing a very similar issue McCarthy addresses with Blood Meridian, albeit to a simpler poignancy. Hell, that's why Blood Meridian gets hailed as a masterpiece, the form suited the ambition.
                      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• k3mist
                        • Apr 2013

just finished this. inspiring to say the least. lots of insight in the philosophy of yohjis artistic thinking. very good read.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                          • Feb 2008

Reading The Castle. Absolutely loving it. The sisyphean soul attrition of bureaucracy in The Trial is tempered somewhat by the best cringe comedy scenes of absurdity and exasperation I've read. Amazing. Keeps me frustrated, grimacing and grinning all at once. Fantastic book - wish I'd picked it up sooner.
                          Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• Gill
                            • Dec 2009

Honestly one of the best book if not, the "best" one on the relationship subject. Recommended.

Comment

• trentk
                              • Oct 2010

/\ Nice. Wait, there was an article on Owens in Paris Review?!
                              well, an interview on the paris review blog which tickled rick owens pink
                              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Shit, I'd be tickled pink, too! Oh, I just love it when intellectuals get caught red-handed loving fashion, lol.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎