Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Illithid Dude
    • May 2013

Halfway through with Infinite Jest. Took about 300 pages for me to get into it, but when I got in, I got in. Amazing book.

Comment

• Macro
      • Apr 2008

Finished WOMEN by Charles Bukowski. Feel disgusting.

Starting on JUSTINE by De Sade.
      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• MJRH
        • Nov 2006

no, if it's disgusting you want, you should taste juliette instead
        ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• fireflygrave
          • Aug 2012

Just finished:

Just started:

I can't stop...
          put a tiger in your tank

Comment

• profondo nero
            • Aug 2012

This is more or less:

Comment

• MJRH
              • Nov 2006

the diagram mostly makes sense, but in what setting would you pretend you'd read 50 shades of grey?

Comment

• profondo nero
                • Aug 2012

Welp, let's say this is the part where it doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

The entire thing makes no sense to me. Though I am in need of sleep right now...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MJRH
                    • Nov 2006

it's just one literary critic's idea of snark is all. the left-hand column is comprised of commonly-discussed books which, so the list insinuates, are not really worth reading. if you dislike dickens or salinger, it might make you snicker...

Comment

• LOVE
                      • Dec 2007

Replying from something in WAYWT as to not derail.

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                      DFW was all over everything. I can hardly think of another being of our time who was so aware of all things avant-garde. Check out his extremely self-conscious interviews on Charlie Rose

Thanks for the story tip. I'm all all over that, too! It saddens me that I can't correspond with him to discuss his thoughts on that matter, which he undoubtedly held in great detail (because like Aristotle, DFW had an opinion about just goddamn everything.)

MBD
                      He's so avant-garde that he seems much more at-home in this 1996 chat room session than any other interview format I've seen him in.

Funny you mentioned Aristotle at the end because I was going to say he was probably the last person before DFW to know so much about so much.

Out of all the video I've seen ft. him he's probably in top form here, he's got the bandanna on, after all. The post-Infinite Jest interview for some German station is hard to watch. You can really tell how much effort he's putting into just staying alive at that point.
                      Last edited by LOVE; 07-21-2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• profondo nero
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
                        it's just one literary critic's idea of snark is all. the left-hand column is comprised of commonly-discussed books which, so the list insinuates, are not really worth reading. if you dislike dickens or salinger, it might make you snicker...
                        It was captioned as follows: 'Literate Liars and the Lying Lies We Tell'

Comment

• DamageX
                          • Dec 2008

I finally read this for the first time, and being a huge fan of Philip K. Dick, I naturally loved it. It was a fantastic read.

That being said, I thought Hampton Fancher's adaptation was much better than the original text. I am a bit biased because Blade Runner is my favorite film, but I preferred how the script focused more on the Androids wanting to be human and their fear of death and the meaning of existence/life.

I just bought PKD's Clans of the Alphane Moon and Maze of Death which I'm looking forward to reading next.

Comment

• DamageX
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Such a sick book, Macro! I know you will enjoy it (though "enjoy" is not exactly the right word for it.)
                            Oh, you can enjoy it! I thoroughly enjoyed the brutality of that book, it is beyond epic!

Comment

• Macro
                              • Apr 2008

These are my two favorite works by Murakami i've read, Hard Boiled Wonderland being my personal favorite and Wind-Up Bird, well, it's his masterpiece. The novella South of the Border, West of the Sun is a wonderful, terribly sad book I highly recommend.

Originally posted by fireflygrave View Post
                              Just finished:

Just started:

I can't stop...
                              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Macro
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
                                no, if it's disgusting you want, you should taste juliette instead
                                i'll get around to all of his cannon eventually, this was the first book of his i've gotten around to reading. 'Disgusting' literature is fun to read... it gives the conscious mind a taste of freedom... of 'Libertinage.'
                                So far, enjoying Justine, save for the style of writing. I understand it was a popular technique to be tumid during the puplication of this book, but jesus, from a 2013 perspective it's akin to reading law.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎