Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

I'm pretty impressed with Michael Palmer & Arkadii Dragomoshchenko right now.

http://writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/x...moshchenko.php (see the first two videos on the page)

(As it seems there are alot of russian speaking people on this forum, I'll ask a question: do the english translations of dragomoshchenko adequately capture the russian originals? (the reading is bilingual). PennSound is an excellent resource for poetry readings in general btw.)
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
      • Apr 2013

is house of leaves worth reading?

I'm trying to get into some interesting literature because I'm not reading enough western things past fashion articles and other kinds of papers.

Also does anyone have any good knowledge on some nice horror novels not written by Stephen King?
      Originally posted by unwashed
      Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
      Originally posted by Ahimsa
      I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• jackg
        • Oct 2011

Leak the leaks!

Comment

• FOREVER
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
          is house of leaves worth reading?

I'm trying to get into some interesting literature because I'm not reading enough western things past fashion articles and other kinds of papers.

Also does anyone have any good knowledge on some nice horror novels not written by Stephen King?

Certainly worth it. It's a very cool gerne-bending book. Will have you up all night for a while.. enjoy the journey!

Just finished up the leaked Three Stories yesterday. The Ocean Full Of Bowling Balls was particulary amazing, saved me a trip to Princeton!

Comment

• radio-aktivität
            • Jan 2011

I read hologram for the King by Dave Eggers and loved it. In fact, I think it was the most enjoyable of the last five books I had. He writes unpretentious, yet manages to keep a sense of closeness. It’s difficult to describe. Maybe I just felt a happy relief to read something easy after having way too much demanding literature.

Already on the bed table: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Who read the Circle? I’m curious, but usually technology books playing in the Bay Area aren’t my thing (yes, I point at YOU, Mr Penumbra!)

Comment

• Macro
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
              I adored 2666. It's the only Bolano I have read. Sumptuous book. Interested in the Savage Detective comment dontbecruel.... I was thinking of reading that.

I'm currently reading (amongst all the academic texts) Thomas Ligotti's Teatro Grottesco. It is excellent, really enjoying it.

Also enjoyed recently:

Umbrella by Will Self (pretty intense book you need to apply yourself to).

Memories of The Future by Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky

The Soft Machine and The Wild Boys by Burroughs

Faust - did you ever get round to HSJ's The Room?

I must admit, Malcolm Lowrys' Under The Volcano may be my favourite book. I just cannot think of another book I've engaged with so so deeply, not since Dostoevsky's Demons. Deleuze loved Under The Volcano.
              viv,

how did you like Soft Machine against Wild Boys?
              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• viv1984viv
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                viv,

how did you like Soft Machine against Wild Boys?
                Well, I read Soft Machine partly for research, I came to it knowing that there would be certain passages I could use. But basically Wild Boys has a stronger narrative thread in comparison to SM and NL... it also hit my soft spot for mexico.

EDIT - I cannot recommend Thomas Ligotti enough. You read Foucault? You read Deleuze and Guattari? You read Poe and HPL? - Train yo eyes on Teatro Grottesco
                Last edited by viv1984viv; 11-30-2013, 08:19 PM. Reason: Ligotti
                Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• imho_essno
                  • Jun 2013

just started

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ I always wonder about books like that. Are there actually religious people who would read this and have their faith shaken? Or is simply preaching to the converted (pardon the idiom), giving arsenal to atheists? Because I really don't see how this has any value, in 21st Century.*

*Disclaimer: this is from someone who has read and reviewed god Is Not Great and interviewed Hitchens at length.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Picasso
                      • Jul 2013

Personally I like those sorts of books, I'm agnostic and don't care to solve the mysteries of the world but reading others views is always interesting.

Currently reading Jim Marrs' Rule by Secrecy..
                      I enjoy conspiracy theories and thus far he makes a ton of sense, maybe ill post some excerpts in this thread if that's okay,

Comment

• viv1984viv
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        /\ I always wonder about books like that. Are there actually religious people who would read this and have their faith shaken? Or is simply preaching to the converted (pardon the idiom), giving arsenal to atheists? Because I really don't see how this has any value, in 21st Century.*

*Disclaimer: this is from someone who has read and reviewed god Is Not Great and interviewed Hitchens at length.
                        Pretty much on the same page as you. I'd go further and say it is just people skilfully articulating arguments everyone knows and has already made a choice on. I don't think the arguments have persuaded. Just reinforce the pre-existing positions of those in agreement.

Also - TriggerDiscipline - kill two birds with one stone and read House of Leaves. Excellent book. Then try Poe, HPL, Thomas Ligotti.
                        Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• MadMarc
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
                          I don't think the arguments have persuaded. Just reinforce the pre-existing positions of those in agreement.
                          They (the Four Horsemen of the Non-Apocalypse, namely Dawkins, Harris, Dennett and Hitchens) claim to receive "a ton of" emails by people who have completely lost their faith by either one of their many novels, or through the debates they attend/win, and I am inclined to believe them (or Harris, who stated this, rather).

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Yeah?! I wonder if their claims are true.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MadMarc
                              • Aug 2012

Yeah, here's the link if you anyone bothers watching it - it's two hours long. Ferociously riveting, though, if one cares about the subject.
                              (Not sure if I can post it in this thread. Sorry, if not.)

Comment

• kamsky
                                • Jan 2007

Presently reading Flaubert's "L'Éducation sentimentale." Read "Mme Bovary" not too long ago, and finding his prose to be a pleasure to engage with.

Curious to hear anyone's thoughts on him, or if anyone has read "SalammbĂ´" or "Bouvard et Pecuchet"?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎