• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: What are you reading?

My friend gave me this to read. It's hilarious. I think it would do quite well on Styleforum.</p>

</p>

</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

My friend gave me this to read. It's hilarious. I think it would do quite well on Styleforum.</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...=1236&amp;cs=1</p>

Looks like Johnny is buying the rights for his own production company.
      </p>

</p>
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• hanajibu
        • Jan 2007

scored an uncorrected proof of War and Peace, the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation. I adore Dostoevsky, but after reading Notes From Underground, Crime and Punishment, and Demons back-to-back, I am digging the lighter feeling of Tolstoy's prose. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>then again I'm less than 100 pages in so we'll see...</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>And Faust, from above, Murakami is one of the few contemporary writers I consistently read. I urge you to try The Wind-up Bird Chronicle again! Or maybe After the Quake (short stories)...to get the feel of his style...</DIV>

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

/\ Well, I liked Norwegian Wood, and WildSheep Chase - but this was just too vacuous for my taste.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

George Orwell, "Politics and the English Language." For the n-th time. [Y]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

A Diary in the Strict Sense of the Term-- Bronislaw Malinowski</p>

Utterly repetitious and completely fascinating. </p>
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
                • Sep 2007

World on fire - Amy Chua

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
                  • Sep 2007

I recommend 'The Most Beautiful Women in Town' by C. Bukowski. It's kind of pulpy, made of short stories. Best consumed in small portions and left to soak. Wouldn't want to overdo it. The last story is like something you maybe wish you hadn't read, kind of like an image you can't forget. He has definitely presented me with some of the more crude and vivid imagery I have ever read. Some of his prose is decent(Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame), if you don't mind the translation to words, from the language of a madman drunkards brain. I can say regardless, even if one tires of his voice, which is loud(drunk) and distinct, both grotesque and beautiful, i felt he was very in touch with most aspects of the human condition.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I?m reading Barbarians at the gate; a non-fictional account of the events leading to the fall of RJR Nabisco that reads like a financial thriller. It is a surprisingly fun read, although the characterizations are rather caricatural, but the need to box people in neatly is to be expected of a popular novel. Great plane/beach/bath/whatever read.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">On another note I started reading Le Dieu objet (the object god) by Marc Augé, a fascinating analysis of the worship of gods through or even as physical entities in the Beninese region. Augé seems to be aiming at exploring how the individual approaches otherness and his own identity through the medium of this worship that, on first contact, sounded oppressively alien to the first missionaries, due to its sheer physicality. <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Is that a new Auge, Fuuma? I have never heard of that one before....sounds really good.</p>

I'm reading more Malinowski...Sexual Life of the Savages. [73]
                      </p>
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• tony
                        • Sep 2007

Sergej Sartakow - At the torture chambers of the czar I</p>

And the short story collection of Hans Fallada - Objective report about the bliss of beeing an opium eater ( i hope i ´ve translated it right, great book, reading it the third time).
                        </p>

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="tony"]

Sergej Sartakow - At the torture chambers of the czar I</p>

And the short story collection of Hans Fallada - Objective report about the bliss of beeing an opium eater ( i hope i ´ve translated it right, great book, reading it the third time).
                          </p>

[/quote]</p>

See, I can read that in the original. It'd do you good to learn Russian! [83][66]</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tony
                            • Sep 2007

i speak russian perfektly ;)</p>

gewagt. gewagt :P</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Is that a new Auge, Fuuma? I have never heard of that one before....sounds really good.</P>

I'm reading more Malinowski...Sexual Life of the Savages. [73]
                              </P>

[/quote]</P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

It was published in 1988, I'm not sure it was translated in english. Basically part of his african myth studies. I wanted to get Non-spaces (thanks for the recommendation) but for some reason its still on order at my library.</P>
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
                                • Sep 2007

<SPAN style=""><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 16px;">Fuuma:</SPAN></SPAN><DIV><SPAN style=""><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 16px;">I?m reading Barbarians at the gate; a non-fictional account of the events leading to the fall of RJR Nabisco that reads like a financial thriller.</SPAN></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 16px;"><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: 16px;">for some great non-fiction financial thrills might I recommend Jeffrey Robinson, and as a starting point The Laundrymen: inside the world's third largest business....fascinating material on money laundering, some very interesting stories, bond-esque.......ties into fashion in a few strange places- Gucci, poor chinese immigrants buying Hermes in Paris by the bagful with fistfuls of dollars, not to mention auction resale.......i.e. selling current season items, apparently at a loss? sound familiar?</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 13px;"><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 13px;"><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></SPAN></DIV>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎