• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
    Has anyone had the chance to read this book?

Didn't pick it up, since I thought this guy was a bit of a hype right now, but just read this article about him in the New Yorker and now I'm a bit curious.
    Someone able to share some thoughts on the book?
    Funny, I read the same article and I am not in the least bit curious
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
      • Sep 2014

In an effort to revive this thread...

Almost finished with A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, really unique read, the jargon makes it oddly entertaining... Kind of reminds me of 1984 due to the "brainwashing" the protagonists' endure in both novels. Interested to see Stanley Kubrick's take on the novel tonight.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Nearly done with and highly enjoying Jonathan Franzen's book of essays, How To Be Alone. Especially "Why Bother?", an excellent contemplation on the role of the novelist in contemporary culture. The essays are not as brilliant as those of David Foster Wallace, who was an unparalleled observer of our world, but still very much worth a read.

As my brain is becoming fucked by Internet induced ADD, essayism is becoming a genre I want to get into more. Any recommendations are welcome.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• finite-
          • Dec 2014

journey to the end of the night by celine. better than any french existentialism ;0

Comment

• GucciAmen
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by finite- View Post
            journey to the end of the night by celine. better than any french existentialism ;0
            This one is definitely on my to read list, it served as an inspiration to Jim Morrison when he wrote the lyrics to "End of the Night".

Reading Crime & Punishment by Dostoevsky, second novel I've attempted by the writer (Brothers Karamazov being the first), only issue I have with his work his how long it usually is, keeping me from other novels I wish to read haha.. But the personalities of his characters are so articulate and interesting which does compensate for the length.

Looking at Japanese authors now for future reads, namely, Haruki Murakami, (Norwegian Wood looks very intriguing), Kenzaburō Ōe is one I just found today, does anyone have any recommendations?

Comment

• derpington
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
              Reading Crime & Punishment by Dostoevsky, second novel I've attempted by the writer (Brothers Karamazov being the first), only issue I have with his work his how long it usually is, keeping me from other novels I wish to read haha.. But the personalities of his characters are so articulate and interesting which does compensate for the length.
              If you want to read a short novel by Dostoevsky, you can always read Notes from Underground. It is amazingly relevant even 150 years after it was written and really just a brilliantly influential piece of literature.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Agreed. Incredible work. Brothers Karamazov is worth every one of its 900 pages. Can't say the same about CaP.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
                  • Sep 2014

I'm starting to sadly notice that myself Faust.. Brothers Karamazov is my favourite novel I have read thus far, the development of the relationships between the characters in that novel was unlike anything else I have ever read. Very interesting how Dostoevsky was regarded as a philosopher (showed in his work quite easily) when he never personally viewed himself as one (to my knowledge).

Comment

• kamsky
                    • Jan 2007

I've only ever read "Notes..." and "Crime and Punishment", and while I sort of take issue with the translations that I read of these novels, they never sagged for me, interest never waned. "C & P" especially was fascinating in the ways that the narrative perspective shifts drastically in the epilogue and brings Sonya into prominence, making her the central character of the last section of the novel.

With regards to Kenzaburo Oe, he's been spoken about to some extent here -- I'm only passingly familiar but if you search for his name (without the diacritical marks, if I remember correctly), you should be able to find some titles that might be of interest.

Comment

• bukka
                      • Sep 2011

Looking at Japanese authors now for future reads, namely, Haruki Murakami, (Norwegian Wood looks very intriguing), Kenzaburō Ōe is one I just found today, does anyone have any recommendations?
                      If you want to give a try to Ôe, I recommend you to start by the beginning with the short stories that made him famous: Lavish are the dead,Seventeen and a third one called Le ramier in french (I don't know how it was translated to english). Or give a try to his first novel Nip the buds, Shoot the kids.
                      I don't know if you thought about it but you might want to start with Mishima as he had quite an influence on Ôe (it becomes more visible in what he calls his Late Style). If you to start Mishima, go with Confessions of a Mask, pure marvel which condensates all his major themes.
                      Have fun
                      Last edited by bukka; 01-05-2015, 11:42 AM.
                      Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• GucciAmen
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                        If you want to give a try to Ôe, I recommend you to start by the beginning with the short stories that made him famous: Lavish are the dead,Seventeen and a third one called Le ramier in french (I don't know how it was translated to english). Or give a try to his first novel Nip the buds, Shoot the kids.
                        I don't know if you thought about it but you might want to start with Mishima as he had quite an influence on Ôe (it becomes more visible in what he calls his Late Style). If you to start Mishima, go with Confessions of a Mask, pure marvel which condensates all his major themes.
                        Have fun
                        This is truly invaluable information for me bukka, thank you so much. When I saw the author's portrait online, I had a feeling you would comment.. Just did a quick search on "Confessions of a Mask", looks like a fantastic novel. I'm definitely going to follow your advice and start off with it.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I'm starting to sadly notice that myself Faust.. Brothers Karamazov is my favourite novel I have read thus far, the development of the relationships between the characters in that novel was unlike anything else I have ever read. Very interesting how Dostoevsky was regarded as a philosopher (showed in his work quite easily) when he never personally viewed himself as one (to my knowledge).
                          Dostoyevsky was an anti-Semitic misanthrope gambler who tormented his wife their entire miserable marriage and who always thought that he never got the recognition he deserved. Doesn't take away from his work though...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                            • Feb 2012

Story of the Eye – Bataille

a nice way to get back in the reading habit...

other "Obscene" recommendations? i'm only familiar with e.g. Obelisk press
                            _
                            Last edited by PoubelleMaBelle; 01-12-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• gregor
                              • Oct 2014

haven't read much lately, but i picked this up for my colombo-london flight, and i couldn't hold off. it's such a weird setup for a surrealist comedy of the end. i loved werckmeister harmonies enough that it was only a logical transition to Krasznahorkai's (in my opinion) opus. worth a read for anyone into heavier themes, as well as beautifully surreal, and infinitely dark comedic undertones.

one day hopefully i'll be able to read it in it's original hungarian, but that day is not today.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                                • Sep 2014

Just finished Fathers and Sons.

Interesting take on the time period (late 19th century Russia), with a focus on the coming emancipation of the serfs and the growing popularity of nihilism. Turgenev writes it all beautifully, does anyone have other novels by him they would recommend to me?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎