X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Nearly done with and highly enjoying Jonathan Franzen's book of essays, How To Be Alone. Especially "Why Bother?", an excellent contemplation on the role of the novelist in contemporary culture. The essays are not as brilliant as those of David Foster Wallace, who was an unparalleled observer of our world, but still very much worth a read.

As my brain is becoming fucked by Internet induced ADD, essayism is becoming a genre I want to get into more. Any recommendations are welcome.
    I'm reading "Shooting an elephant" by George Orwell, if you haven't read it already, I suggest that you give it a try, it's extremely fun and a lot of it is still surprisingly relevant, and corresponds perfectly to what you seem to be looking for

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
      Just finished Fathers and Sons.

Interesting take on the time period (late 19th century Russia), with a focus on the coming emancipation of the serfs and the growing popularity of nihilism. Turgenev writes it all beautifully, does anyone have other novels by him they would recommend to me?
      I remember enjoying "A nest of gentlefolk" and "First love"

Comment

• GucciAmen
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by galia View Post
        I remember enjoying "A nest of gentlefolk" and "First love"
        Thank you for the recommendations, both of these novels look very interesting. Both give me a Werther vibe.

Comment

• MJRH
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by PoubelleMaBelle View Post
          other "Obscene" recommendations?
          You have read this already? Even more succinct than the eye.
          ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
            Ha, never seen it translated like that. I suppose "gentry" and "gentlefolk" are both equally old-fashioned words now. Funny how fast the language has changed.
            I had to google the english title, this is what came up, sorry if it isn't the most available one

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
              I'm reading "Shooting an elephant" by George Orwell, if you haven't read it already, I suggest that you give it a try, it's extremely fun and a lot of it is still surprisingly relevant, and corresponds perfectly to what you seem to be looking for
              Read that some years ago. A good one for sure.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• qcqc
                • Oct 2012

Comment

• deadboy
                  • Jul 2013

Funny, I just finished that book (and I think that pic might be life-sized). Reminded me at times of The Crying of Lot 49 with some Fear and Loathing thrown in, really fun read.

Comment

• bukka
                    • Sep 2011

I'm done reading the complete translated works from Mishima. A lot to say. It's now probably the author I read the most, around 20-25 books. There's everything: essay, novel, short stories, plays. He's only missing poetry, even if some of his early works are clearly prose poetry. I've been reading a few critics (Nathan, Yourcenar, etc) but they don't add much to what you learn from Mishima's essays. They help to structure his work though.
                    I'm still translating the novel; it takes longer than expected due to kanji being written in classical style but slowly I'm getting there.
                    In a nutshell, I'll not write a complete review now (it would take too much time and English.) but here is my list of recommended works (I might be wrong with the English title):

Confessions of a mask
                    School of Flesh
                    The Sailor who fell from grace with the sea (translated by John Nathan who also wrote an excellent biography)Death in midsummer and other short stories (with "patriotism" inside, that one is fundamental)
                    Sea of Fertility (do not start with this...)
                    Sun and Steel (Sorry Aka, it's great but definitely not are start)

Feel free to ask whatever if you're interested.

I also read Beckett's trilogy, you guys were right. The unnamable was breathtaking. Both interesting and moving. I selected and copied a few pieces that made me speechless, they are in french though so if you want it let me know and I'll post them.

Faust, I'm currently reading Foucault Les mots et les choses, I would recommend it if you're interested in the epistomology of human sciences. If not, don't bother, it's quite a "long" read.

Oh and I also watched L'Abécédaire from Deleuze, great introduction to his work if you didn't read any.
                    Last edited by bukka; 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM.
                    Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• evilchevy
                      • Apr 2013

"think and grow rich" by Napoleon hill.
                      Meant to read this long time ago but only got to start it...

Comment

• Osseovs
                        • Oct 2012

Unintentionally found a copy of this in Toronto last month, and the KuroKiyo fan in me had a fit.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by evilchevy View Post
                          "think and grow rich" by Napoleon hill.
                          Meant to read this long time ago but only got to start it...
                          Let us know how you turn out in ten year. Also, read Huckleberry Finn.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                            Faust, I'm currently reading Foucault Les mots et les choses, I would recommend it if you're interested in the epistomology of human sciences. If not, don't bother, it's quite a "long" read.

Oh and I also watched L'Abécédaire from Deleuze, great introduction to his work if you didn't read any.
                            I've given up on that stuff a long time ago.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              I've given up on that stuff a long time ago.
                              Haha, I thought so but who knows, you might want to give it a try again.
                              L'abécédaire is definitely something to watch though, Deleuze is surprisingly funny
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                                Haha, I thought so but who knows, you might want to give it a try again.
                                L'abécédaire is definitely something to watch though, Deleuze is surprisingly funny
                                I did LOL reading that!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎