• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: What are you reading?

[quote user="Fuuma"]<p mce_keep="true"></p>

It was published in 1988, I'm not sure it was translated in english. Basically part of his african myth studies. I wanted to get Non-spaces (thanks for the recommendation) but for some reason its still on order at my library.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Looks like it was never translated...perhaps I will try and get through the original.</p>

Reading Marcel Mauss, The Gift.
    </p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• klangspiel
      • Apr 2007

A Voice From Elsewhere</p>

by the dude in my avatar
      </p>

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Orhan Pamuk - Snow
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Orhan Pamuk - Snow
          [/quote]</P>

How's the english translation? I'm asking because a good friend of mine who'se literary taste I hold in high esteem tried to get through "My name is red" and couldn't finish it because the translation used a lot of very french expressions that looked quite peculiar in a turkish period novel.</P>
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user="Faust"]Orhan Pamuk - Snow
            [/quote]</p>

How's the english translation? I'm asking because a good friend of mine who'se literary taste I hold in high esteem tried to get through "My name is red" and couldn't finish it because the translation used a lot of very french expressions that looked quite peculiar in a turkish period novel.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Huh! Funny you should mention that - the first thing I thought is that the translation sucks. It must be infinitely better in Turkish.</p>

Reading Notes on Camp by Susan Sontag in tandem. Time for a new blog entry...</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• justine
              • Jan 2007

<p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana"><span style="font: 12.0px Arial">I finished "</span>Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster" by Dana Thomas. It was interesting overall, it reads like a quick history of the various popular brand "de luxe" (Vuitton, Gucci,...); and their evolution from small quality shop to a 'Brand'. It is not a sociological/philosophical text on what is Luxury.</p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana">I was close to immune to big brands before the book, I'm pretty much really immune now :) </p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana; min-height: 15.0px">
              </p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana">The last chapter asks the question "if the luxury brand are not the real luxury anymore, what is?" ; she mentions couple of brand like Hermes, a high-society mall (Daslu), and the new Tom Ford brand. I had thoughts of CPP when thinking about what's luxury today. </p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana"> </p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana">Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-How-Luxury-Lost-Luster/dp/1594201293/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5306348-4779829?ie=UTF8&amp;s=books&amp;qid=1194232520&amp ;sr=1-1</p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Verdana"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 19px; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 14px;"></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 17px; "> </span></span></p>

Comment

• sea of stitches
                • Oct 2006

gilles lipovetsky the empire of fashion

Comment

• seb
                  • Feb 2007

just finished e.t.a. hoffmann - der sandmann (the sandman) a really great book!</P>

now i`m going to read eduard von keyserling - wellen (waves)</P>
                  ________
                  UNIQUE BOWL
                  Last edited by seb; 08-23-2011, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="sea of stitches"]gilles lipovetsky the empire of fashion
                    [/quote]</p>

How are you liking it? It's on my shelf, but I haven't gotten to it yet.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• loveless
                      • Feb 2007

Just finished choke by chuck palanuik (sp?) love love loved it....hillarious sedistic and well written, next is blindness

Comment

• DHC
                        • Jul 2007

Aldous Huxley: <u>Point Counter Point</u> yet again.
                        Originally posted by Faust
                        fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="loveless"]Just finished choke by chuck palanuik (sp?) love love loved it....hillarious sedistic and well written, next is blindness
                          [/quote]</p>

I cried so much reading Blindness, that my boyfriend nearly took it away. [:$]</p>

I'll be very curious to hear what you think of it...I thought it was amazing.
                          </p>

</p>

</p>
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="loveless"]Just finished choke by chuck palanuik (sp?) love love loved it....hillarious sedistic and well written, next is blindness
                            [/quote]</p>

I think it's his best book after Fight Club. The rest of his writing is marginal. Saramago is gut-wrenching, no wonder Laika cried.</p>

American Pastoral - Philip Roth</p>

The Culture of Complaint - Robert Hughes</p>

Dictator's Dictation - Robert Boyers</p>

All at the same time...

</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• loveless
                              • Feb 2007

blindness is getting better, at first i was kind of annoyd by his run on sentences but the story line is so good its been keeping me going.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="loveless"]blindness is getting better, at first i was kind of annoyd by his run on sentences but the story line is so good its been keeping me going.
                                [/quote]</p>

the writer's or the translator's? [66]</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎