Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bukka
    • Sep 2011

Italo Calvino's books are perfect for holidays. Fun and well written.
    Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Baddarn
      • Oct 2013

@DudleyGray

Now I haven't read Colorless, but Murakami's endings tend to have "satisfyingly unsatisfying endings" in my experience. Though, as I've chosen to interpret it, Murakami's books are never about the endings, hence purposely left vague because it doesn't matter what actually happens, but rather the character's reactions/development etc.

About a third through "On the Road" right now and I must say so far the story is entertaining. Though maybe what I enjoy the most is with this rhythm Keroauc writes. Though as someone who is admittedly used to "simpler" literature this might be common practice among authors of his "rank".

Comment

• DudleyGray
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Baddarn View Post
        @DudleyGray

Now I haven't read Colorless, but Murakami's endings tend to have "satisfyingly unsatisfying endings" in my experience. Though, as I've chosen to interpret it, Murakami's books are never about the endings, hence purposely left vague because it doesn't matter what actually happens, but rather the character's reactions/development etc.
        It was my first exposure to Murakami, but I agree with your assessment. Mild spoiler alert for discussion, but nothing that would detract from reading the book:

The book was really about abandonment, social isolation, suicide ideation, co-dependency, and all that good stuff, but towards the end, I was afraid that Murakami was going to fuck that up with some moralistic resolution. In my interpretation, the protagonist was doomed, but to write that out explicitly would have been similarly vulgar. The way people speak about him, I should have known better, but in any case, I'm happy to have been surprised.
        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Baddarn
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
          The book was really about abandonment, social isolation, suicide ideation, co-dependency, and all that good stuff, [...]
          Sounds like a standard Murakami.

The reoccurring themes in this work is quite amusing. To the point that there are Bingo cards.

Comment

• MJRH
            • Nov 2006

Just as exciting as playing bingo, too
            ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• MJRH
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by bukka View Post
              Italo Calvino's books are perfect for holidays. Fun and well written.
              You are about to leave the resort and head to the beach where you will begin reading Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveler.

edit: here are some fun ones from a collection of Raymond Queneau's, Stories & Remarks.

Heterogenous Homophones:
              Few men keeps abreast, all women have two.
              He was smoking so much pot he was going to it.
              Atop the Eiffel Tower, we got one of Paris.
              While smoking a butt, he scratched his.
              He drove away from the park because he couldn't.
              Dressed in crepe, she flipped several.
              He turned red after his report card was.
              Removing her veil, she descended into it.
              To ensure that the drunkard wouldn't whine, they gave him some.
              Being well bred, the child ate his buttered.
              He made a call to the delivery room and learned that the baby wasn't born with one.
              Jesus told Paul not to expect to find him in one.
              The duck didn't and hit its head.

A Skeptic's Profession of Infaith:
              I am incontinent because I live on an island and insect because I don't trust any.
              Last edited by MJRH; 07-23-2015, 06:18 PM.
              ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• DudleyGray
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Baddarn View Post
                Sounds like a standard Murakami.

The reoccurring themes in this work is quite amusing. To the point that there are Bingo cards.
                Haha, that's hilarious.

Been picking up and putting down Our Band Could Be Your Life periodically, maybe the closest thing I have to a bible in that regard. Currently on the Minutemen chapter.

Comment

• bukka
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
                  You are about to leave the resort and head to the beach where you will begin reading Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveler.

Reading The Baron in the trees at the moment.

Lately I also read the two first volumes of Leiris' La Règle du Jeu, not recommended. Too self-centered, not really creative from a stylistic point of view either.

Comment

• byhand
                    • Dec 2011

Ubik.

Comment

• Gatsu
                      • Jul 2015

I'm currently reading Arabian nights / 1000 and 1 nights. about 7 books of 500-1000 pages each, directly translated from Arabian to my native language. It's pretty good so far, very poetic and erotic.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

Currently reading and loving The Plague.
                        Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-02-2015, 05:52 AM. Reason: was drunk

Comment

• dduyyy
                          • Jul 2014

Just finished Forest Gump, To Kill a Mocking Bird and Lake by Banana Yoshimoto. Love the simpleness and mysticism of the story he's telling.
                          Just started reading Predictably Irrational.

Comment

• bukka
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by dduyyy View Post
                            Just finished Forest Gump, To Kill a Mocking Bird and Lake by Banana Yoshimoto. Love the simpleness and mysticism of the story she's telling.
                            Just started reading Predictably Irrational.
                            Ftfy.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                              • Sep 2014

Recently finished Cervantes' magnum opus: Don Quixote... This satire on the knight-errantry novels of the time is fantastically diverse in its offerings of different subject matter, ranging from the writer's own musings conveyed through characters in the novel, to the countless ill-fated adventures Don Quixote drags his sire through. I highly recommend it.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Starting reading The Whites by Richard Price but gave up after 100 or so pages. The first RP novel I could not only zip through, but get through.

Which has led me to a question - my attention span has definitely been eviscerated by the Internet to a point where I am second-guessing myself when putting down a book, wondering if it's the book that's bad or if I have ADD. Anyone else have thought along the same lines?

Started Gomorrah by Saviano. Very interesting facts but the melodramatic, over the top language is killing me. I imagine it's much better in Italian and I am dealing with a very shitty translation.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎