Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadboy
    • Jul 2013

Yeah. I've been wanting to get a more holistic knowledge of the industry including the parts of it I personally don't care for, so I decided to read some of the books that are at the top of people's lists.

I figured that after reading The Beautiful Fall a while back, I could handle all the opulence etc. And it's entertaining at times... but it's hard to take all the, "My, don't the colorful negroes just look lovely? Isn't the Empire wonderful?" stuff.

On that note, if anyone has suggestions for great fashion books that aren't a) about individual designers usually discussed here, b) general overviews and c) boring as hell, I'd love to hear them. Much appreciated.

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

Paul Morand's book on Coco Chanel is really fun

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
        Yeah. I've been wanting to get a more holistic knowledge of the industry including the parts of it I personally don't care for, so I decided to read some of the books that are at the top of people's lists.

I figured that after reading The Beautiful Fall a while back, I could handle all the opulence etc. And it's entertaining at times... but it's hard to take all the, "My, don't the colorful negroes just look lovely? Isn't the Empire wonderful?" stuff.

On that note, if anyone has suggestions for great fashion books that aren't a) about individual designers usually discussed here, b) general overviews and c) boring as hell, I'd love to hear them. Much appreciated.
        Here is a whole thread. Mixed with coffee books, but some text based.

If it's too much to go through, this was fantastic - both a coffee table book and great analysis/history.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

you can read:
          The End of Fashion by Teri Agins

Also "The Designer Scam" by Colin McDowell

this os also a good read:

Last of the Dandies by Nick Foulkes. Its about the life and times of Count D'Orsay

my Library is in storage now so there is more i cant remember

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• deadboy
            • Jul 2013

Thanks very much for the suggestions zamb, Faust and galia. And of course there's a thread already, should have checked.

Comment

• GucciAmen
              • Sep 2014

About halfway through Les Fleurs Du Mal by Charles Baudelaire - loving it - and wondering if anyone can recommend me some similar collections of poetry -- of course having dark, cynical traits and focusing on beauty/anomie?

Thanks!

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Arthur Rimbaud, maybe?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

Interesting selections, guys. Currently reading this excellent piece:

An expansion of the already excellent article: http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/1755...rs_in_africa_/

Comment

• GucciAmen
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Arthur Rimbaud, maybe?
                    Just gave him a quick look, he sounds perfect so I think I'll pick up "Illuminations" this week.

Thanks!

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Haha, dude, I think I've asked you before, but are you auto-didacting? I mean no offense, and it's really heartening to see a young man take interest in serious literature these days when our culture has largely gone to shit, but this is 101 stuff (which, of course, you must read and I encourage you by all means!).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

Faust 101 stuff for people around my age is Lollipop by Lil Wayne when it comes to poetry.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Haha, dude, I think I've asked you before, but are you auto-didacting? I mean no offense, and it's really heartening to see a young man take interest in serious literature these days when our culture has largely gone to shit, but this is 101 stuff (which, of course, you must read and I encourage you by all means!).
                          Haha, yes I am. There is sadly no external influence - aside from this thread and some recommendations between a few of my friends - for me in this culturally barren wasteland -- the amount of top 40's/mall culture is staggering in my - albeit small - city.

I take it as a compliment, no worries. It is unfortunate though how personally alienating it is to take an interest in what has become such a neglected area of literature - or generally speaking, for any of my other interests: music, film, fashion, art - but I keep at it because I'd rather not homogenize myself with the rest of society.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Well, keep at it!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gawkrodger
                              • Jun 2013

Finally getting round to reading more than just snippets of Walter Benjamin

and some Italian post-autonomia

Comment

• bukka
                                • Sep 2011

Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎