X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WindUpBird
    • Dec 2007

Re: What are you reading?

Saramago is among my very favorite writers. He is unique in the way he captures the complexity of human interaction and individuals motivations. Blindness was exquisite. The sequel is good too, but I also recommend All The Names. I always thought the run on sentences were the authors.

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

The run-on sentences are most certainly Saramago's! They can be a bit tiresome, particularly in his denser, historical novels. But Blindess is so spare and swift in style....they didn't bother me at all.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Nixus
        • Dec 2007

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-style: italic;">All The King's Men</span></p>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-style: italic;"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-style: normal; ">Robert Penn Warren </span></span></p>

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

American Pastoral - Philip Roth</p>

[/quote]</p>

This book is turning my guts inside out.</p>
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
            • Oct 2006

Got some easy fluff from a good friend of mine: "The Beautiful Fall" documents the rise and rivalry of YSL and Karl Lagerfeld back in the 60s and 70s. Beyond the fact that I love it since it tells all about the period I missed before I really got into fashion, the writer is actually quite good.

Comment

• gusgusterson
              • Mar 2007

Aha! I've been trying to remember the name of "The Beautiful Fall", thank you!</p>

I read "No Country For Old Men" and "The Road" last week. The later has left me worn out.
              </p>

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="gusgusterson"]

Aha! I've been trying to remember the name of "The Beautiful Fall", thank you!</p>

I read "No Country For Old Men" and "The Road" last week. The later has left me worn out.
                </p>

[/quote]</p>

A friend of mine with trustworthy literary taste has been raving about it nonstop.</p>
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
                  • Mar 2007

I had no idea it was an Oprah pick, etc. I bought both at the airport, read No Country on the flight over and The Road on the flight back. Both books affected me, but The Road is sitting in my gut.

Comment

• jowaha
                    • Nov 2007

I'm halfway through Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. It's been a pleasurable read thus far.

Comment

• Svartkatt
                      • Dec 2007

Currently reading the Brothers Karamazov for the 151655 time. Quite possibly the greatest piece of art ever created. </P>

Also reading Georg Trakl, as always. Anyone with the slightest appetite for poetry should check him up immediately.</P>
                      <H1 class=firstHeading></H1>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Faust"]

American Pastoral - Philip Roth</p>

[/quote]</p>

This book is turning my guts inside out.</p>

[/quote]</p>

While I am putting my guts back in, I am starting Kite Runner. I don't think I am going to keep my guts intact for long.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• auch
                          • May 2007

just finished off 'when nietzsche wept', which was fantastic. just began 'the road', which is promising.

Comment

• RADO
                            • Nov 2007

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">I was searching for a new book to get into my hands and bumped into your comments of The Road. I looked for some further information and found the following description.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a post-apocalyptic landscape, several years after a great cataclysm has destroyed civilization and most life on earth. What is left of humanity now consists largely of bands of cannibals and their prey, refugees who scavenge for canned food or other surviving foodstuffs.</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Are wetalking on the same book?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

^Sounds like The Road to me....sounds like all his books, really. </p>

To all of you guys reading Cormac McCarthy, I strongly recommend Blood Meridian.
                              </p>
                              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="RADO"]

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;" lang="EN-GB">I was searching for a new book to get into my hands and bumped into your comments of The Road. I looked for some further information and found the following description.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;" lang="EN-GB">The Road follows a man and a boy, father and son, journeying together for many months across a post-apocalyptic landscape, several years after a great cataclysm has destroyed civilization and most life on earth. What is left of humanity now consists largely of bands of cannibals and their prey, refugees who scavenge for canned food or other surviving foodstuffs.</span><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;" lang="EN-GB"><o:p></o:p></span></p>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;" lang="EN-GB">Are wetalking on the same book?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                                <p mce_keep="true"></p>

[/quote]</p>

yes.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎