Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

Nietzsche isn't that hard go cet into. Just read birth of tragedy and Zarathoustra, easy reads and you'll cet the gist of what he thought. You don't need an introduction

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Rereading for the first time in many years Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard. Some of it is outdated and outmoded (and some of the language is bullshit of the highest order), but still amazing how much he got right and how pioneering many of his observations were. This book has renewed urgency in the age of Instagram, the Internet, and pervasive branding. The proliferation of content and news sources on the Internet and curated life via Instagram are exactly products of the world Baudrillard already saw taking shape in the late 70s.
      Finally ended my slog. The first couple of essays were fantastic. The rest of the book descended into intellectual onanism, as usual.

Picking up the Foucault Reader in the faint hope of being redeemed.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
        He was a big fan of contemporary art:
        http://insomnia.ac/essays/contemporary_art/
        This was fantastic, by the way. Faustian bonus points for quoting Saul Bellow. I believe it's from "Herzog," which you must read!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PUCK
          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post

Also finished The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, don't know why it took me so long to get to it in my reading list... Reminded me of the poem: Heautontimoroumenos by Charles Baudelaire, for G Samsa's transformation into a beetle - appears to me - to be a metaphor for the final product of his own manifestation into a selfless person that sacrifices his own comfort for the betterment of his nuclear family.

I love Kafka, I would recommend if you enjoy his work give The Basic Kafka (blue soft cover book) a read, it's great to read the articles and pieces he wrote on a whim, it feels erratic and gives a great sense of his personality. It's not necessary to go the existentialist route to enjoy his work.

Checkout Poseidon: http://jlet.org/poseidon.html

Reads to me like a Joy Division song put to print.

Personally been on a McCarthy kick lately, Blood Meridian, The Road, etc. For me the thing that captures my attention is how sophisticated his ability to create a mood becomes over the course of his work. It's subtle and some even hate this aspect, but I find it meditative and serene, and love how it contrasts the extreme violence in the overarching story.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

The Road was probably the first book widely discussed on SZ.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PUCK
              • Feb 2016

The Road was probably the first book widely discussed on SZ.
              I can imagine McCarthy being a fan of the SZ. Contemplative reality

Comment

• DiveBlueEagle
                • Mar 2016

Hello, I'm new here! Please be nice!

I am currently reading Foucault's text on "This Is Not A Pipe", as well as some introductory texts on Heidegger.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DiveBlueEagle View Post
                  Hello, I'm new here! Please be nice!

I am currently reading Foucault's text on "This Is Not A Pipe", as well as some introductory texts on Heidegger.
                  I am also dipping into Foucault a bit.

Finished The Plot Against America by Philip Roth, in which he imagines an alternative history of America where the populist and fascist sympathizer Charles Lindbergh defeats Roosevelt in the 1940 election, and who picks Henry Ford, the notorious anti-Semite, as his secretary of state. A very prescient book in the age of Trumpism, which proves that the ignorant, hateful mob in America is alive and well.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mne
                    • Mar 2016

I'm reading 'No God but God' by Reza Aslan, it talks about the origin, evolution and future of Islam, it's a very interesting read, easily written and very informative. It's an eye opener, especially considering what nonsense media is feeding us daily.

I'm sure if you educate yourself enough (meaning beyond watching the news and reading daily paper) you will know better, but this book clarifies many nuances of the culture and Islamic religion, which may help those who find themselves guilty of a certain ignorance towards it.

Comment

• SafetyKat
                      • Aug 2014

Finally ended my slog. The first couple of essays were fantastic. The rest of the book descended into intellectual onanism, as usual.
                      You followed that up with a re-watch of The Matrix right?

Reread "Candide" for some giggles in between tomes of Import/export regulations and Trade Statistics, It helps keep the spark alive. Replaced it with "The Belgians: An Unexpected fashion Story" from the library for my pleasure reading time.

Comment

• mne
                        • Mar 2016

Rick Owens interview with Chris Wallace and Claude Montana

William Gibson has said, “The future is already here—it’s just not evenly distributed.” And we think most of it is located in the Paris headquarters of Rick Owens. Out there, at a safe remove from the fashion mainstream, on the horizon of beauty, behavior, and belief, Owens has made a wrinkle in time, building a new world, a future world, for others of like mind to gather and grow.

This is the only thing I read today, and it made my day.

What resonated with me in particular is how refreshingly self aware Owen's is, and how much distance he's got towards himself creatively and personally. When he asks himself if he's being hypocritical for wanting to be less available but meanwhile appearing everywhere online.. Or loosing his sh** when he didn't get the jacket design quite right and how humbling the experience was..

It makes him that much more relatable as an artist but also resonates with you on a human level :)
                        Last edited by mne; 04-18-2016, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

You should post this in the Rick Owens thread - this one is really for books. Thanks!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Midway through Hunger by Knut Hamsun - fantastic so far. One of those minor modernist masterpieces that are usually under the radar.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by mne View Post
                              http://www.interviewmagazine.com/fashion/rick-owens-2#_

This is the only thing I read today, and it made my day.

What resonated with me in particular is how refreshingly self aware Owen's is, and how much distance he's got towards himself creatively and personally. When he asks himself if he's being hypocritical for wanting to be less available but meanwhile appearing everywhere online.. Or loosing his sh** when he didn't get the jacket design quite right and how humbling the experience was..

It makes him that much more relatable as an artist but also resonates with you on a human level :)
                              This was seriously excellent.

Comment

• mne
                                • Mar 2016

Originally posted by t3hg0suazn View Post
                                This was seriously excellent.

Agreed! you could just picture them three in a room having a good ol' laugh :)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎