• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DHC
    • Jul 2007

Re: What are you reading?

[quote user="mamaboy"]

[quote user="DHC"]Early Bukowski is great. South of no north is fantastic. Wish I could say the same for the body of his work produced later in his life.
    [/quote]</p>

try his letters,he had this period,early,raw,,just letters 3 fu... volumes, "..to keep this little fire..."--</p>

[/quote]</p>

Recently (last decade) compiled Black Sparrow printings? </p>
    Originally posted by Faust
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• theRenaissance
      • Jan 2007

Not sure if anyone here is into graphic novel, i'm currently enjoying Alan Moore's watchman. [75]

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

I'm re-reading ...</p>

The Parameters Of Postmodernism</p>

Nicholas Zurbrugg </p>

A challenging positive view of postmodern cultur, a demonstration
        on how contemporary artistic creativity discredits popular apocalyptic theories,
        through artist, writers and performers like Anderson, Baudrillard, Beckett, Cage,
        Glass, Rainer, Wilson, Monk, Barthes, Bourdieu, etc.</p>

[8-|]
        </p>

[/quote]</p>

Postmodernism is dead. Hail pospostmodernism!</p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
          • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

I'm re-reading ...</p>

Nicholas Zurbrugg </p>

on how contemporary artistic creativity discredits popular apocalyptic theories,
          through artist, writers and performers like Anderson, Baudrillard, Beckett, Cage,

[8-|]
          </p>

[/quote]</p>

[/quote]</p>

[74]</p>
          Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]right now i'm reading William Burroughs' Naked Lunch
            [/quote]</p>

SELL OUT</p>

Not that you shouldn't read the book, of course.</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="mamaboy"]no offence,but i kinda surprised that fashionish crowd reads..... so f... weard[/quote]</p>

no offence, but i kinda surprised that you read and post on fashion boards... oh, wait, you don't read.
              </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

I'm re-reading ...</p>

Nicholas Zurbrugg </p>

[8-|]
                </p>

[/quote]</p>

[/quote]</p>

I know, I'm being very nostalgic here! [86] ... though I have never been much for these labels! [79]
                But the artist, writers and performers Mr. Zurbrugg discuss here has mouthwatering prospects.
                There is a short little passage titled Beuys, Adorno, and the Silence of Marcel Duchamp where
                Joseph Beuys challenges Adorno's assumption that there can be "no poetry after Auschwitz."
                which is quite compelling, I think even Laika would have to approve! [83]
                </p>
                Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[quote user="Faust"]haha, indeed. And, knowing Jim, I wouldn't be surprised at your assessment, although it seems that since Butler invoked Adorno, he's fair game.
                  [/quote]</P>

If you read the JB quote that becoming-intense posted, along with this exceptionally lucid and brief piece from the Times, and if you are pretty well acquainted with Adorno, I think the difference in position between him and Judith is pretty unmistakeable. It's the intentional conflation of this difference by Miller that I take issue with, not the mere fact that he compares the two.</P>

edit: and I swear that no provocation will entice me to mention her name again!!!! [79][86]</P>

[/quote]</P>

I've rarely read a short piece with which I've agreed more than the one posted, however it should be obvious to forumnites by now that I've drank my culture from the same well than Mrs Butler, even though, I am actually quite unfamiliar with her writing, aside from short articles here and there.</P>
                  <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I'm reading heartbreak tanto by Manuel Puig, finished Wong Kar-Wai from the BFI world directors series.</P>
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"] <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I'm re-reading ...<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA">The Parameters Of Postmodernism</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA">Nicholas Zurbrugg</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">A challenging positive view of postmodern cultur, a demonstration
                    Glass, Rainer, Wilson, Monk, Barthes, Bourdieu, etc.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">[8-|]
                    <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">[/quote]<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Postmodernism is dead. Hail pospostmodernism!<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">[/quote]<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I know, I'm being very nostalgic here! [86] ... though I have never been much for these labels! [79]
                    But the artist, writers and performers Mr. Zurbrugg discuss here has mouthwatering prospects.
                    There is a short little passage titled Beuys, Adorno, and the Silence of Marcel Duchamp where
                    Joseph Beuys challenges Adorno's assumption that there can be "no poetry after <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Auschwitz</st1:place>."
                    which is quite compelling, I think even Laika would have to approve! [83]
                    <o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">[/quote]<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-CA style="mso-ansi-language: EN-CA"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">I believe Beuys had a distinct surrealist streak, seeing mysticism and transcendence as a salve to heal the wounds of modernism, a position thinkers who espouse a rational and analytical approach to discourse would definitely have opposed no matter their specific creed.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
                    <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

[quote user="Fuuma"]<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="" lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><o:p></o:p></font></font></span></p>
                      <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="" lang="EN-CA"><o:p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></o:p></span></p>
                      <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="" lang="EN-CA"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">I believe Beuys had a distinct surrealist streak, seeing mysticism and transcendence as a salve to heal the wounds of modernism, a position thinkers who espouse a rational and analytical approach to discourse would definitely have opposed no matter their specific creed.<o:p></o:p></font></font></span></p>
                      <p mce_keep="true">[/quote]</p><p mce_keep="true">Yes, you're right there is indeed a "spiritual necessity" in Beuys and his favoring of an "anthropological art" that he associates with "humankind's creative strudtures and senses" and with "thought, feeling and the giving power" is a rejection of postmodern cancerous art theories and the whole notion of "modern" art. [51]
                      </p>
                      Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• mamaboy
                        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="mamaboy"]no offence,but i kinda surprised that fashionish crowd reads..... so f... weard[/quote]</P>

no offence, but i kinda surprised that you read and post on fashion boards... oh, wait, you don't read.
                        </P>

[/quote]</P>

u people sound soooo intelegent,deep, ...i just never saw well dressed academician,forget tastefully or fashionably dressed</P>

i suspect yo fashion interesse is very much theoretical, and academicians never have any money, and my fashion involved friends so vain , so superficial they never read shit...and bukowski could not dress at all.....but maybe i am wrong</P>
                        but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="mamaboy"][quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="mamaboy"]no offence,but i kinda surprised that fashionish crowd reads..... so f... weard[/quote]</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

u people sound soooo intelegent,deep, ...i just never saw well dressed academician,forget tastefully or fashionably dressed</p>

i suspect yo fashion interesse is very much theoretical, and academicians never have any money, and my fashion involved friends so vain , so superficial they never read shit...and bukowski could not dress at all.....but maybe i am wrong</p>

[/quote]</p>

well, don't give away our hiding place, ok?!</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
                            • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="mamaboy"][quote user="Faust"]

</p>

[/quote]</p>

u people sound soooo intelegent,deep, ...i just never saw well dressed academician,forget tastefully or fashionably dressed</p>

i suspect yo fashion interesse is very much theoretical, and academicians never have any money, and my fashion involved friends so vain , so superficial they never read shit...and bukowski could not dress at all.....but maybe i am wrong</p>

[/quote]</p>

well, don't give away our hiding place, ok?!</p>

[/quote]</p>

i appologise if i sound condescending ,i mean no disrespect ....it is just ..... my observations....
                            </p>

and russians that i met [i guess a lot of russians in this forum]dress not fashionably at all,more utilitarian .....</p>

this crowd i guess is very unusual and very interesting,i love it,i am full of shit myself..</p>

</p>
                            but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

<span style="font-style: italic;">Modernism: The Lure of Heresy</span> - Peter Gay.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Still working through this and wondering why I am reading it. One of those books - you know you know it all already but hope that you'll find out something new that's worthwhile...</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

Pasolini, Roman Poems and Poems</P>

I force myself to understand everything,</P>

ignorant as I am of any life that isn't</P>

mine, till, desparate in my nostalgia,</P>

</P>

I realize the full experience</P>

of another life; I'm all compassion,</P>

but I wish the road of my love for</P>

</P>

this reality would be different, that I</P>

then would love individuals, one by one.</P>

[51]</P>
                                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎