• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: What are you reading?

That sounds beautiful, but I can't help but wonder how nostalgia helps him realize the full experience of another life. Is he thinking along the lines of Proust here?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

Faust, I don't read the grammar here as meaning that nostalgia helps him understand other people. He only says that he is in a state of nostalgia when he tries to do this. I think "nostalgia" also means homesickness in Italian and here I think it refers to a lonesome, sentimental kind of reverie. I understand the lovely stanzas Laika quoted as meaning something like this:
      "In a lonesome reverie, cut off from my fellow people, I make myself concentrate on the small details of life, try to understand everything. Eventually this allows me a window into other people's experience, but I wish I had a more natural compassion and real fellow-feeling for other individuals."
      Excuse the literal, Empson-style paraphrase, but you know I like a bit of careful reading.
      </p>

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Thanks, dbc - that makes sense. I guess the word "full" threw me off - how can one possibly realize the full experience? seems like wishful thinking no matter what one's state is.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

I think you're right though, when he says "fully" it implies that a complete sensation comes to him suddenly, in its entirety. This is a very Proustian idea.</p>

I'm reading Musil's "The Man Without Qualities":</p>

"There is something special about youthful friendships: they are like an egg that senses in its yolk its glorious future as a bird, even while it presents to the world only a rather expressionless egg shape... He tried to remember these conversations. It was like reaching on awakening for the last vasnishing, dreamlike thoughts of sleep. And he thought, in mild astonishment: When we were assertive in those days, the point was not to be right--it was to assert ourselves! A young man needs to shine, far more than he needs to see something in the light. He now felt the memory of the feeling of being young, that hovering on rays of light, as an aching loss."
          </p>

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

The whole thing? I've always wanted to read that book.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hanajibu
              • Jan 2007

Varlam Shalamov's "Kolyma Tales" (recommended to me by our art director's father-in-law, since I was looking for 20th century Russian writers in translation) ? really stark/bleak stuff, written with the brevity of Chekhov.<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>and completing Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain" for the second time. I'm near the end where Hans meets Mynheer Peeperkorn so I read a chapter of this then a few of the stories from Shalamov's book.</DIV>

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="hanajibu"]Varlam Shalamov's "Kolyma Tales" (recommended to me by our art director's father-in-law, since I was looking for 20th century Russian writers in translation) ? really stark/bleak stuff, written with the brevity of Chekhov.<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>and completing Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain" for the second time. I'm near the end where Hans meets Mynheer Peeperkorn so I read a chapter of this then a few of the stories from Shalamov's book.</div>

[/quote]</p>

Read this. Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the quality of translation.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hanajibu
                  • Jan 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

Read this. Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the quality of translation. </P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Ha! I should have said, he recommended Erofeev as well (and Vassily Grossman), so I am on a search for these. Thanks!</DIV>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Ok, cool! BTW, not my personal recommendation, but as I've said a page or so back here, Summer in Baden-Baden is getting rave reviews everywhere.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Eternal Life?
                      life after death as a Medical, philosophical and theological problem- Hans Kung</p>
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

I understand the lovely stanzas Laika quoted as meaning something like this:
                        "In a lonesome reverie, cut off from my fellow people, I make myself concentrate on the small details of life, try to understand everything. Eventually this allows me a window into other people's experience, but I wish I had a more natural compassion and real fellow-feeling for other individuals."
                        Excuse the literal, Empson-style paraphrase, but you know I like a bit of careful reading.
                        </p>

[/quote]</p>

I think that's exactly right; and incidentally, I first encountered that poem in an essay by John Berger, wherein he tries to relate the [lost] art of paying close attention to details to human compassion.
                        </p>

I like a bit of careful reading too. Lovely Musil passage, btw--emotional, vivid, yet perfectly exact and clear. And it reads especially nicely after Faust's mention of Proust, especially the comparison of "trying to remember," to awakening...that is very Proustian as well.
                        </p>
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

-Walter Benjamin, Iluminations

-Baldessare Castiglione, Book of the Courtier

Just finished The Master and Margarita - terrific stuff.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                            • Sep 2006

Yeah, Du côté de chez Swann, has the famous opening page which is actually the reverse of this - the imagination goes wandering as Marcel falls asleep. It was published in 1913 and I presume that Musil had read it before he embarked on his book because the kind of social satire he set out to write owes a great deal to Proust.</p>

I polished off another 100 pages of The Man WIthout... this afternoon while my son had a marathon cat-nap. It's very page-turning stuff. Not the hard slog I expected. I already have a pet-hate character plus a couple of allies in the book who are trying to bring about his downfall.
                            </p>

Comment

• qnc.hst
                              • Oct 2007

Currently barreling through Peter Carey's His Illegal Self... fairly enjoyable, very fast read...
                              I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• PCabrelli
                                • Mar 2008

Reading a great pop novel: American Tabloid, James Elroy. Fantastic period (60s) detail. Check it out if you have the chance. </p>

Also impressing myself by reading some Nathaniel Hawthorne short stories.</p>

</p>

Paolo</p>

----------</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡