X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbt
    • Jan 2007

Re: What are you reading?

[quote user="Yan"]Platform by Houllebeq. hard work but worth it.[/quote]</P>

How so, Yan?</P>

Comment

• eaglewood
      • Feb 2007

Savage Detectives - Roberto Bolano - Excellent book - I find it very funny too</p>

The Yacoubian Building - Alaa al Aswany - Worth reading especially if you know Cairo</p>

</p>

E </p>

Comment

• pbt
        • Jan 2007

[quote user="eaglewood"]

Savage Detectives - Roberto Bolano - Excellent book - I find it very funny too</p>

The Yacoubian Building - Alaa al Aswany - Worth reading especially if you know Cairo</p>

</p>

E </p>

[/quote]</p>

Have just started in with the Bolano myself.
        </p>

Comment

• Real Real
          • Feb 2007

Rereading Henry Fielding, Joseph Andrews...haven't read it since college.

Comment

• eaglewood
            • Feb 2007

There is supposed to be more Boleno being translated and published in English later this year. I must say that he is one of the best writers that I have come across in the last 5 years. I hope that you enjoy it Pbt.<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>E</DIV>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

George Steiner - Language and Silence</p>

Walter Benjamin - Illuminations</p>
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• iSuck
                • Mar 2008

Just finished Life of Pi and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Currently reading Bringing Down the House after seeing 21.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Walter Benjamin - Illuminations</p>

[/quote]
                  </p>

I'd be interested to know what you think of "The Image of Proust"</p>

I know you dislike a lot of the writing that has been influenced by Benjamin, but this is a beautiful tear-jerker for me.</p>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

why do you say that, dbc? what writing in particular? i will let you know after i read the essay (I love Proust). I like Benjamin's writing, it's so f-ing weird and beautiful.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                      • Sep 2006

Well, I think a lot of the po-mo post-post-structuralists are very influenced by Benjamin's oddness. They don't seem to have quite got the "and beautiful" bit though!

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

I too, get teary when I read the Proust piece.</p>

...Jean Cocteau was able to say in a beautiful essay </p>

that the intonation of Proust's voice obeyed the laws of night and honey.</p>

By submitting to these laws he conquered the hopeless sadness within him,</p>

and from the honeycombs of memory he built a house for the swarm of his thoughts. </p>

Cocteau recognized what really should have been the major concern of all readers of Proust </p>

and yet has served no one as the pivotal point of his reflections or his affection.</p>

He recognized Proust's blind, senseless, frenzied quest for happiness.</p>

It shone from his eyes; they were not happy, but in them lay fortune as it lies in gambling or in love.</p>
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

ps. Faust, the Baudelaire essay is also very wonderful. Not as tightly crafted at the Image of Proust, but still marvelous. And also the key to the Arcades Project, according to many. Please do keep us posted on what you think of it all.
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• mamaboy
                            • Mar 2008

i was so obssessed with proust--smugled 1922 edition when moved to us
                            but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

celine calls him: "..o proust who was half a ghost"

Comment

• mamaboy
                                • Mar 2008

[quote user="Yan"]Platform by Houllebeq. hard work but worth it.[/quote]</P>

i am hufe fan,but of other books,by the way he just shot the movie "possibility of the island"</P>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎