• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Re:

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

[quote user="Faust"] I did find him incredibly witty right off the bat.
    [/quote]</p>

Me too. And I read those first 400 pages in just a few days of staying up late in bed.</p>

But unlike "A La Recherche..", which everyone always compares this book to, I don't have the impression so far that there are thousands of pages of witty psychological insight there for me to savour. Once the plot set-up is complete, the joke kind of stays the same. Not sure about the translation. Received opinion has it the the new English one I am reading is a great improvement on the previous version, but it's by no means a work of art. Has it been translated into Russian more than once? If so, that's pretty surprising!
    </p>

[/quote]</p>

I would imagine this is the first translation. The book is not of good quality, even though it aspires to be. It's peppered with typos. Ever since printing has become an industry driven by profit after the fall of SU, the choice of titles has drastically expanded, but the quality of printing went to shit. I hate capitalism. The Swedes should see what they did to my beloved Karlsson on the Roof - fucking butchered it. I bought the book wanting to replay my childhood to my daughter, and I actually threw it out. Thank god the old translation has been resurrected.
    </p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• justine
      • Jan 2007

Okay, since nerds book are allowed, I picked this up it's a very pleasant read: </p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

If you don't read Master and Margarita, in Russian or otherwise, I will hunt you down and kill you. Heart of a Dog is awesome in its own right. You should watch the film (if your Russian is good enough for it).
        </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

I just saw someone carrying this on the subway...</p>

I started to read</p>

Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea</p>

and </p>

The Road</p>

but both are a standstill because of too much work.</p>

I two weeks I am falling off the grid for 4-5 days, hopefully finish these and some others then.</p>

</p>
        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• mamaboy
          • Mar 2008

tennesse williams -yes
          but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• iSuck
            • Mar 2008

Brideshead Revisited

Comment

• sharkweek
              • Apr 2008

currently inching my way through the Tao Te Ching

Comment

• Rubbish
                • Jul 2008

[quote user="Faust"]If you don't read Master and Margarita, in Russian or otherwise, I will hunt you down and kill you. Heart of a Dog is awesome in its own right. You should watch the film (if your Russian is good enough for it).
                [/quote]</p>

With regards to the film, do you know if there's a subtitled version? I'm looking at Russian DVD right now, and it seems the copy they're selling does not have subs. My Russian is usually good enough to get through a movie, but sometimes things go over my head, at which point even the horrendous Russian to English subs that seem to have been added to most movies as an afterthought appear downright heaven sent.
                </p>

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Rubbish"]

[quote user="Faust"]If you don't read Master and Margarita, in Russian or otherwise, I will hunt you down and kill you. Heart of a Dog is awesome in its own right. You should watch the film (if your Russian is good enough for it).
                  [/quote]</p>

With regards to the film, do you know if there's a subtitled version? I'm looking at Russian DVD right now, and it seems the copy they're selling does not have subs. My Russian is usually good enough to get through a movie, but sometimes things go over my head, at which point even the horrendous Russian to English subs that seem to have been added to most movies as an afterthought appear downright heaven sent.
                  </p>

[/quote]</p>

Unfortunately not. I know this for a fact, because my friend's parents bought it for her American husband only to find out that it has no subtitles.</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"][quote user="Faust"]

If you don't read Master and Margarita, in Russian or otherwise, I will hunt you down and kill you. Heart of a Dog is awesome in its own right. You should watch the film (if your Russian is good enough for it).
                    </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

I just saw someone carrying this on the subway...</p>

I started to read</p>

Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea</p>

and </p>

The Road</p>

but both are a standstill because of too much work.</p>

I two weeks I am falling off the grid for 4-5 days, hopefully finish these and some others then.</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

IMHO, Master and Margarita is the best book of the 20th Century. Thumbs up for The Road.
                    </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• insidertrading
                      • Mar 2007

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• JSebbe
                        • Mar 2008

Comment

• destroyed
                          • Nov 2006

Wow. This thread got huge!</p>

I am reading Norwegian Wood by Murakami. I am determined to like him but I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it (I have a few of his books under my belt). Mann's Magic Mountain keeps on being brought up in the novel (the protagonist is reading it) and the mere mention of that book makes me melt (I honestly have to stop reading and :le sigh:); shouldn't Murakami have that same effect?</p>

</p>

I expect I will keep reading more Murakami until I get it. (Having reached my quota of parenthetical asides, I will end this post here.)
                          </p>
                          broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="destroyed"]

Wow. This thread got huge!</p>

I am reading Norwegian Wood by Murakami. I am determined to like him but I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it (I have a few under my belt). Mann's Magic Mountain keeps on being brought up in the novel (the protagonist is reading it) and the mere mention of that book makes me melt (I honestly have to stop reading and :le sigh:); shouldn't Murakami have that same effect?</p>

</p>

I expect I will keep reading more Murakami until I get it. (Having reached my quota of parenthetical asides, I will end this post here.)
                            </p>

[/quote]</p>

My reaction exactly! And I think Norwegian Wood is one of his best. Couldn't get through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - too drawn out.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• destroyed
                              • Nov 2006

I think I will try Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next and maybe that will have that EUREKA! moment...
                              broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="destroyed"]I think I will try Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next and maybe that will have that EUREKA! moment...
                                [/quote]</p>

If you don't fall asleep first.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎