X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maldoror
    • Jun 2007

Re: Re:

Yes I think they are principally about rhythm, or, as you say, more specifically about breaking rhythm. However, they also effect, for me, an unsettling of narrative visualization, which operates alternately as subliminal guides of, and cues for, depicturing the reading. If they were purely and directly illustrative of the text, I think the effectivity would be questionable. As it is however, the abstracted and often tangential quality of image choice has more in common with a rorshach-esque associative molding of response than the literal didacticism of e.g., science text book illustrations. Also, the source-less scrapbook quality of image assemblage throughout the text, its essential otherness to me (as reader), the story, and (the) writing as such, ties into Sebald's overarching concerns re: memory and history by implicating the reader into the equation as a schizophrenic hybridization of observer and participant, thereby confusing self and other, reader and text and author (how I read the narrator's story as my own / how the "I" of the narrative and the "I" of (my)self are both the same and different) . . . Sorry if I'm doing a bad job of explaining myself. I could write a whole essay on Sebalds use of photographs, and it would probably take the full length of that essay to clearly explain my thoughts.
    </p>

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I like the way you write, maldoror.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• JSebbe
        • Mar 2008

Reading a book called Beat Poets, well I read it from time to time. Have it more like a coffee table-book. </p>

When I'm drinking my coffee and smokes a fag.
        </p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• maldoror
          • Jun 2007

thanks faust! I've always felt more myself in written word than in speech.

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"]I like the way you write, maldoror.
            [/quote]</p>

yes, for every unknown this forum destroys, a maldoror quietly rises to stardom. </p>
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

[quote user="philip nod"]</p>

for every unknown this forum destroys
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

or vice versa :) </p>
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• stickliy
                • Jan 2008

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]

Le Spleen de Paris Charles Baudelaire</P>

</P>

[8-|] [51]</P>

[/quote]</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I read this a few months back </P>

awesome read [Y]</P>

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="justine"][quote user="Faust"]Why Orwell Matters - Christopher Hitchens[/quote]Good timing on Orwell. His "foundation" is publishing his diaries in the form of a blog. One entry at a time, exactly 70 years after it was written. It's at: http://orwelldiaries.wordpress.com/
                  [/quote]</p>

Thanks a lot [G]</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="maldoror"]

Hmm, neither the photographs nor the lack of paragraph breaks strike me as gimmicky per se. I think he was earnestly trying to do something novel formally, an alternate approach to controlling narrative rhythm. Without it, I don't think his texts would be able to achieve the same hypnotic quality, reach the same dreamy heights, but I completely understand how someone would feel differently, especially if the reading is mandated by subway snippets. Everything about Sebald's style lends itself to langorous stretches spent with the work rather than clipped and distracted encounters. The subtlty of the work is more than just subtlty, it's all there is. If his writing were music, it would never rise above pianissimo.
                    </p>

[/quote]</p>

Ok, it's now kicking into high gear (page 135 where he is in the Liverpool Station, whose description is a work of art in its own right) [Y]</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

BTW, do any of you have autographed volumes in your home libraries? I have Hunter Thompson, Kurt Vonnegut, and Ray Bradbury.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

nice ones [Y]</p>

i have autographed artist books, but not any literature ones.</p>

i have thought about collecting them, however, right now i do not have the space...but hopefully will very soon.
                        </p>
                        Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

Hm, I have autographed copies of the Gentleman's Companion and the South American Gentleman's Companion (all-time classic food and cocktail books) that I am very proud of but are falling apart due to overuse, and I have autographed copies of a couple of books on Ulysses. That's about it. No novels. I always wanted to start collecting first editions...getting autographs in them never really interested me, though.

Comment

• maldoror
                            • Jun 2007

I've never purchased an autographed edition, but I have a few books that I've gotten autographed at readings, most significantly a copy of rising up &amp; rising down. I also have a copy of the great and secret show that I got clive barker to autograph for me after a he hosted a screening of hellraiser when I was in middle school. even if my literary tastes have changed since then, the sentimental worth of this book has only grown over time.

Comment

• maldoror
                              • Jun 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

Ok, it's now kicking into high gear (page 135 where he is in the Liverpool Station, whose description is a work of art in its own right) [Y]</p>

[/quote]</p>

[8-|]!</p>

glad you stuck with it
                              </p>

Comment

• hanajibu
                                • Jan 2007

about to read Mark Harman's translation of Franz Kafka's "Amerika"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎