X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maldoror
    • Jun 2007

Re: Re:

[quote user="Real Real"]Yeah, fair enough (and I agree about Elementary Particles' ending). I should have said "twist" - those twist "a-ha!" endings, not just something surprising. What I meant was that I can think of a number of movies I've enjoyed with true a-ha twist endings, but very few good novels.
    [/quote]</p>

completely agree. it's really strange though, because I can't explain why the twist ending should be more compatible with cinematic narrative than literary narrative form. will have to give this some thought . . .
    </p>

Comment

• Real Real
      • Feb 2007

Well, genuine twist endings (I'm thinking Memento or the Departed) are tricks for a cheap thrill, I guess. They can be very entertaining, but they don't mean anything...that's the point...unless the suggestion is that nothing makes sense, which isn't a compelling way for a novel to end.

Miss Lonelyhearts is a great novella/short story (that makes a difference) with something that might qualify as a twist ending.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Real Real"]Well, genuine twist endings (I'm thinking Memento or the Departed) are tricks for a cheap thrill, I guess. They can be very entertaining, but they don't mean anything...that's the point...unless the suggestion is that nothing makes sense, which isn't a compelling way for a novel to end.

Miss Lonelyhearts is a great novella/short story (that makes a difference) with something that might qualify as a twist ending.[/quote]</p>

I'd say the Memento ending is quite meaningful. I mean it gives the protagonist's life meaning!!! In general though I agree - it is a matter of the audience.</p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

[quote user="Real Real"]

How many <u>great</u> books actually have <u>surprise</u> endings (not surprise events), endings you weren't meant to see coming?

[/quote]</p>

How about the greatest book of them all, The Brothers Karamazov?</p>
          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• odette
            • Oct 2007

at the moment - doris lessing, martha quest
            One, just one night in Rio... in Rio... we had two, two glass of champagne...

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

New cover of The Road based on the film.

Looks awesome - I'm buying.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endtroducing
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                New cover of The Road based on the film.

Looks awesome - I'm buying.

Nice post - I am quite trepidatious about this being made into a film; however, I think if anyone can do it successfully, it would be John Hillcoat. The Proposition was TREMENDOUS! I can't wait to see the disaster Ridley Scott makes out of Blood Meridian. Did anyone else think that No Country For Old Men was a great book, crap film?
                Cheers.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Absolutely agree on No Country for Old Men as an inadequate film, and I haven't even read the book, but I'm sure it's infinitely better. I love Scott Ridley though. Not sure if he's the right guy to do Blood Meridian (just finished it, it nearly f-ing killed me). There was a false rumor on IMDB that The Road would be part of the NY Film Festival in September. I got all excited about it, but now I gotta wait with the rest of the proles till November :-(

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bestial
                    • Jun 2008

Just read this from Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist

"Let the right one in"

Couldn't let it go until it was over, first book I've read for almost a year.

Everything is taking place in a suburb to Stockholm, called Blackeberg, in the early 80's. 12 year old Oskar is bullied in school and don't have anyone to trust himself to, besides his morbid collection of articels and such about murderers and other criminal maniacs.

A gruesome murder shows himself nearby Blackeberg, killing a young boy by emptying him of blood, and speculations starts to wander.

Oskar meets a little girl by the swings a couple of nights later. A girl that see's perfectly in the dark and has a pretty disgustings smell... almost like a corpse.

It's a well written story and well worth your time! Will continue with his other books in the same genre.

Comment

• Real Real
                      • Feb 2007

Taking Beckett's Molloy, Mallone Dies, and the Unnameable to Maine this weekend. Anyone else have Labor Day weekend book plans?

Comment

• endtroducing
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Absolutely agree on No Country for Old Men as an inadequate film, and I haven't even read the book, but I'm sure it's infinitely better. I love Scott Ridley though. Not sure if he's the right guy to do Blood Meridian (just finished it, it nearly f-ing killed me). There was a false rumor on IMDB that The Road would be part of the NY Film Festival in September. I got all excited about it, but now I gotta wait with the rest of the proles till November :-(
                        No Country is definately worth a read - you'll laugh having seen the film as every decent shot that the critics gave the Coen's accolades for comes straight from the text (Scuff marks of the shoes on the floor in a struggle...etc). I don't think ANYONE is capable of making Blood Meridian.
                        PS. How incredible of a book is it, eh? It is the greatest book ever written in my opinion. McCarthy is a better master of langauge than Joyce or Kafka or anyone. I think THE JUDGE is one of the greatest characters ever created. How would one even CAST that? Its a film that should not and can not be made.
                        PPS. Everyone should read OUTER DARK. It would be fair to call it a "prelude" to Blood Meridian.
                        Cheers.
                        m.

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
                          [quote user="Real Real"]Yeah, fair enough (and I agree about Elementary Particles' ending). I should have said "twist" - those twist "a-ha!" endings, not just something surprising. What I meant was that I can think of a number of movies I've enjoyed with true a-ha twist endings, but very few good novels.
                          </p>

completely agree. it's really strange though, because I can't explain why the twist ending should be more compatible with cinematic narrative than literary narrative form. will have to give this some thought . . .
                          </p>[/QUOTE]

Hitchcock said he generally preferred suspense to surprise.

Suspense: holy shit, there's a bomb that's about to blow up. Will that dumbass hero find out about it in time and save the prime minister

surprise: Nothing happens, then *kabooom*

The former has sustained emotion and tension...
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Real Real
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by endtroducing View Post
                            It [Blood Meridian] is the greatest book ever written in my opinion.
                            Damn, it's a great, great book, but I wouldn't go that far. Just sticking to novels written in 20th century, Ulysses was far more ambitious, accomplished far more, showed a far greater mastery of the English language.

Blood Meridian's a 550 ft home run, Ulysses was a triple play in the 9th to win the World Series.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                              • Nov 2007

Is Cormac McCarthy that good? I've only read The Road which was a fun, engrossing read but not earth-shattering or life-changing. I feel any number of J.G. Ballard's books - which are similar in theme - are at least as good if not superior. I intend to read more McCarthy so maybe my opinion will change.
                              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
                                Taking Beckett's Molloy, Mallone Dies, and the Unnameable to Maine this weekend. Anyone else have Labor Day weekend book plans?
                                Ummm, you are supposed to rest on vacation.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎