X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpcec
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Keep looking at it every day sitting on my shelf, but I need a break from McCarthy, or I will commit suicide.
    This will actual be the first book I've read of his. Heard a ton about him and have a friend who really loves him so I got this one up. I just dropped a class last week or else I wouldn't even be thinking of picking up a book to read for pleasure.

Having read multiple (I assume) books of his do you think this book is a good starter?

E: Posted before seeing Maldoror's comment. I think it's a combination of both as you said. No Country was the jump off point from which the few guys I know who read McCarthy got into him. But from there I know they've read a few others, I've heard about Blood Meridian, The Road and Suttree a lot since then.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I agree, maldoror. He is a challenging writer. I think The Road is very popular because it's the most accessible one. Mpcec, I would recommend this one to start with - it features lots of recurring themes, but is very simply and well written. Besides, the film is coming out in November, so you can compare the two, which is always nice.

I had no idea The Road was on Oprah - that's surprising. I think you may see a McCarthy theme here, because I introduced myself to him only recently, and I haven't been that excited about a new writer since I discovered Delillo 4 years ago, and that did not last very long. Having read plenty of contemporary duds before The Road, such as Kite Runner and The Russian Debutante's Handbook, this was refreshing. Naturally I posted about him here like a million times...
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mpcec
        • Jun 2008

Mpcec, I would recommend this one to start with - it features lots of recurring themes, but is very simply and well written. Besides, the film is coming out in November, so you can compare the two, which is always nice.
        I'll check The Road out from my library then. I just looked up the entry for The Road on IMDB and it looks like Michael K. Williams is gonna be in it! (Which means I'm going to see it opening night for sure haha.)

Comment

• Jon
          • Apr 2008

what a strange coincidence... I'm gonna try starting The Road next week. It'll be the first piece of fiction I've read in 4 years, I think. (and then Doris Lessing's The Cleft)

I've been slugging my way through every piece of non-fiction I can get my hands on (right now, Anthony Beevor "The Fall of Berlin 1945" and Thomas Homer-Dixon's "The Ingenuity Gap"), while ignoring fiction. To be honest, the great discussions in this thread have made me reconsider my position on that. I'm so trendy.

A peace offering a la Mona:

(Never been so jealous: Jay Walker’s 3-level personal library - Yes that is a Sputnik)
          Originally posted by merz
          perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• unujnha
            • Sep 2008

"Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen."

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              what a strange coincidence... I'm gonna try starting The Road next week. It'll be the first piece of fiction I've read in 4 years, I think. (and then Doris Lessing's The Cleft)

I've been slugging my way through every piece of non-fiction I can get my hands on (right now, Anthony Beevor "The Fall of Berlin 1945" and Thomas Homer-Dixon's "The Ingenuity Gap"), while ignoring fiction. To be honest, the great discussions in this thread have made me reconsider my position on that. I'm so trendy.

A peace offering a la Mona:

(Never been so jealous: Jay Walker’s 3-level personal library - Yes that is a Sputnik)
              I am completely opposite - every time I want to pick up a non-fiction book and I see a fiction book next to it, I gravitate towards it. But, I will be reading God Is Not Great next.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by unujnha View Post
                A++++

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                  • Mar 2007

Farewell my Lovely - raymond chandler

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Is there a website that tracks new book releases? Something akin to new movie releases.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jcotteri
                      • Jun 2008

whilst at uni i seem to never be able to find the time to sit down and read a good book. Before uni i would read maybe two to three books a week. Now i would only read two to three every six months. I need to step my game up. Any Australians want to reccomend how they go about buying or accessing books without going to a library?
                      WTB: This

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jcotteri View Post
                        whilst at uni i seem to never be able to find the time to sit down and read a good book. Before uni i would read maybe two to three books a week. Now i would only read two to three every six months. I need to step my game up. Any Australians want to reccomend how they go about buying or accessing books without going to a library?
                        The classics are easy - it's the ones that are copyrighted are hard to come by for free.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jcotteri View Post
                          Any Australians want to reccomend how they go about buying or accessing books without going to a library?
                          Do you guys not have bookstores?

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

I recently finished reading this (had read while in transit, ironically enough in one of those non-places and needed a refresh).

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Places-Int.../dp/1859840515

Still reading this:
                            http://www.amazon.fr/Si%C3%A8cle-int...3572512&sr=1-2

And this:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Field-Cultural...3572641&sr=8-3

Anyone read this one, a major work of 60s american history but not sure I'd enjoy it now:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Intellect...=1IP4SW0VW8HIU
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

That last one should be filed under Current Affairs.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

That last one should be filed under Current Affairs.
                                Well the overaching topic is of actuality, I'm just wondering if the book approach and scope escaped the ravages of time unscathed.
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎