Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

yeah that thing about Roth, he himself mentions a certain detachment towards his work...while not entirely impossible to a certain degree, one wonders this is at all possible with respect to the craft of writing. It seems the most revealing insights about the self come out in one's portrayal of others, particularly the figment of imagination he has no physical attachment to, hence he can dump his mental self onto it to ease the load a bit, so to speak.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• klangspiel
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by destroyed View Post
      Cyclonopedia
      as in negarestani on repress?

i'm currently reading giordano bruno's the expulsion of the triumphant beast

Comment

• destroyed
        • Nov 2006

^ Yeah, that's the one. I just looked on my desk, 45 degrees to the right of where my very keyboard is, and confirmed, yes, Negarestani on re.press. Have you read it?
        broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• klangspiel
          • Apr 2007

^ nope but i've encountered his article in collapse and it's always hard
          to avoid books on repress since they're local (as in melb, aus).

Comment

• D_S
            • Jul 2008

My girl just got me Chris Harman's A People's History of the World. I think I mentioned it a few years back and she happened to be in the book store this week lol. Zinn speaks highly of it so ill give it a go just to see.

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

crazy. I've been following negarestani ever since his nigredo article as well, and picked cyclonepedia up as soon as possible. even had a back and forth with klang about it earlier on. def never expected it to show up here, but thrilled that it has. I'm on my second read through now and feel that I have a better grasp on the nature of the text at this point. since I was able to let it be what it was, let go of a speculative realist pigeonhole, it's proved to be a much richer work. also makes strange and wonderful bedfellows with the other book I'm reading atm,

the box man by kobo abe. this novel had a huge impact on me in high school and somehow I neglected to revisit it until all these years later. thrilled that I finally have, because it's every bit the darkly enigmatic jewel I remembered.

Comment

• maldoror
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post
                i'm currently reading giordano bruno's the expulsion of the triumphant beast
                what are your thoughts so far? I've had it on my to read list forever but haven't managed to get around to it yet.

Comment

• mamaboy
                  • Mar 2008

kalina krasnaia
                  but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                    • Mar 2008

russkaia babushka..pelmeni...etc.....sorokin is my man...russian marquis de sade......
                    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Raw Edge
                      • Jan 2008

It's great so far (altho I got the title wrong). Very dense like a lot of the books talked about here, but he's one of my favorite authors. I liked savage detectives, and "Last Nights on Earth" stories collection is the best.

Originally posted by qnc.hst View Post
                      Sorry to pull this up so far after the fact, but how are you liking this? Hoping to get it for xmas. I've heard some mixed things, but it sounds like something I'll enjoy (hopefully, for the kind of commitment required).

Just finished Your Face Tomorrow: Fever and Spear by Javier Marias. I've enjoyed everything I've read by him thus far, for more or less similar reasons each time around...

Now I'm back to some more Borges, currently the Aleph and Other Stories... really loving this stuff.

Next year is gonna be crazy-stacked with massive tomes. Not gonna finish these, but aside from Bolaño I'm still gunning for Anathem and now I've been tipped to Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler... and I'm sure plenty more shall invade the radar as well... need a blinder/filter...

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

does anyone know of any good online resources with a vast collection of good short stories readily available in text form? I like reading em, but got no idea where to start...i managed to find The Swimmer by John Cheever during a random google search, most other searches have been futile.
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

800+ texts of classic literature, drama, and poetry together with detailed literature study guides. Large reference book and non-fiction section

"A Good Man Is Hard to Find"!

Garden of Forking Paths http://courses.essex.ac.uk/lt/lt204/forking_paths.htm

Extricating Young Gussie
                          OJOL77 merupakan provider server Thailand yang selalu bisa mengantarkan kemenangan kepada seluruh membernya baik yang di kota maupun daerah seluruh Indonesia

(and a lot more Wodehouse, all pure gold: http://www.readbookonline.net/stories/Wodehouse/103/)

Hadji Murad http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/tolstoy/leo/t65h/

I could swear Miss Lonelyhearts was online somewhere, but I can't find it. Hadji Murad and Miss Lonelyhearts are novellas, though, I guess.

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                            • Apr 2007

Yes, mal, Kobo Abe! He is paradigmatic in my world. God. Japanese writers are just by far the most extraordinary in the sense that their literary tradition is so different from any other. There is Japanese fiction - and everything else (or the other way around, not a value judgement.)

Comment

• maldoror
                              • Jun 2007

couldn't agree more. there's a certain, ineffable commonality of narrative flow among all the great japanese novelists I've encountered, e.g., mishima, abe, and even murakami (despite his claim of stylistic indebtedness to the western literary tradition) that is both without extra-cultural parallel and instantly recognizable. I wish my japanese were good enough to verify if this is merely a quality of the language in translation, or inherent to the language itself. either way, there's only one possible linguistic domain where x can be analogized to "a fake fish, newly conscious of its unreality." unfortuantely, come to think of it, I can't place which abe text this line originates from. I want to say the box man, but it could also be the face of another . . . either way, absolutely brilliant stuff.

also teshigahara did a few, excellent film adaptations of abe's work which you might be interested in checking out if you haven't already (but I get the sense you probably have)

Comment

• Schadenfreude
                                • Jan 2008

this has been on my "to-read" list for ages, i think tomorrow is a good time to finally take it off that list.
                                Originally posted by ddohnggo
                                fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎