Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

goddamn that cover is unbelievable. im puttin that on my list.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
      http://www.bibliomania.com/

"A Good Man Is Hard to Find"!

Garden of Forking Paths http://courses.essex.ac.uk/lt/lt204/forking_paths.htm

Extricating Young Gussie
      OJOL77 merupakan provider server Thailand yang selalu bisa mengantarkan kemenangan kepada seluruh membernya baik yang di kota maupun daerah seluruh Indonesia

(and a lot more Wodehouse, all pure gold: http://www.readbookonline.net/stories/Wodehouse/103/)

Hadji Murad http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/tolstoy/leo/t65h/

I could swear Miss Lonelyhearts was online somewhere, but I can't find it. Hadji Murad and Miss Lonelyhearts are novellas, though, I guess.
      thank you very much kind sir
      www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
        does anyone know of any good online resources with a vast collection of good short stories readily available in text form? I like reading em, but got no idea where to start...i managed to find The Swimmer by John Cheever during a random google search, most other searches have been futile.
        It will be hard to find anything that is within the copyright realm. But for classics, there is the Gutenberg project. And, well, if you were Russian... hurray for disregarding copyright laws!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          It will be hard to find anything that is within the copyright realm. But for classics, there is the Gutenberg project. And, well, if you were Russian... hurray for disregarding copyright laws!
          ahh...so close yet so far.

Yeah I don't think us, your southern neighbors, care much for copyright laws, or laws in general either...problem is my grasp of simplified Chinese isn't too great.
          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• destroyed
            • Nov 2006

fade---i am not very well versed in short stories (they don't fit into my life very well; i strongly believe they should be read in one sitting and i have to read in fits and starts [i typically only read on the train, or before going to sleep at night]) but some indispensable short story writers, in my opinion, are donald barthelme, flannery o'conner, and jorge borges. i see someone has already linked you to a couple of those writers.
            broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Jonn
              • Mar 2008

not sure if chinese novels will get any love here. i enjoy reading Pai Hsien-yung's(白先勇) short stories. i havent seen any translated work of him though.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                • Jan 2008

À la recherche du temps perdu: Du côté de chez Swann Marcel Proust

It has started again ...

By the way, anyone with a desire for Proust should
                pick up this little book:

Proust Et Les Signes Gilles Deleuze
                Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• destroyed
                  • Nov 2006

^ You reading it in French? If so, I am jealous.

I read the first two books of Remembrance of Things Past. Once I'm done with this Dylan Chronicles (which is a breeze) I think I may resume with Guermante's Way next.
                  broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

^No unfortunately, my french is not good enough!

I'm reading a danish translation, the title probably wouldn't
                    have made much sense to any of you.
                    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• mamaboy
                      • Mar 2008

proust proust proust proust.....did i mentioned proust ....
                      but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                        • Mar 2008

there is a book just came out "paintings in proust"---or something like that....for big proust fans...
                        i had 1922 proust in russian with lunacharski introduction that i smuggled to us....bitch took it....anybody feels my pain ?
                        but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

finishing up The Road after a detour of several other books...up next are Immortality and Blood Meridian
                          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Test
                            • Dec 2008

Fade: how did you feel about The Road? It's odd, it felt someone formulaic at the time I read it but has actually gained power in the months after. I can still visualize most of the key scenes in my mind without resorting to a personal memory or movie scenes, which is extremely rare.

Also, I would suggest finding a cheap copy of the original Grimm's Fairy Tales. It's great subway reading as they're usually no more than 5-6 pages long and very simple. But it's fun to speculate on the values (or bizarre lack thereof) in each story.

I'll be picking up Venus in Furs at the end of the week.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

yeah it's formulaic, but what makes the book for me are the flashing glimpses of lyrical brilliance in the prose, some of which really captures strong feelings for me. I like how the author looks at his characters with a very human and empathetic eye, then again from what I've read, this is the book most personal to Cormac. It's the first McCarthy I've read, I can't say I was as blown away by it as some of the reviews listed on the book have been, but it's a good read and I like his writing style.
                              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post

I read this....it's well written, but didn't seem to strike much in me other than being an existential meditation of symbols related to chance, life and memories connected together through the vehicle of sexual feelings. The monotony/repetition of sex depicted I think made the reading experience a bit meaningless after a while. I think this piece is a good example of how writing is a very personal exercise. The true point and meaning of this work, while I can appreciate to a certain degree, such as the use of language, is ultimately lost on me and I think is something that belongs to the author and nobody else. Unlike some other good writing I've read recently, this is one piece where I can say it's a good piece of prose that leaves me feeling nothing.
                                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎