• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
    Some review about Sontag that talks about camp in the most recent London Review of Books (Faust?)
    Link? Would be interested.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
      • Apr 2007

Mann's "Felix Krull." Also two Edward O. Wilson books, "On Human Nature" and "Consilience."

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

You have to pay for the article to see it online - this is it, though:

This was interesting (and it's free):

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Funk that, I'm not paying :-( Thanks though!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
            • Feb 2007

We've got at least a few people reading 2666 right now, right?

Where have you guys gotten to in the book? I'm in the midst of the Part about the Crimes - riveting, but so fucking harsh.

Comment

• eaglewood
              • Feb 2007

I am a bit past that if I am right about what you are referring to. It picks up a bit after where you are. I found it difficult to get into. But I am OK now. I abandoned the single volume and purchased the 3 vol set. The smaller volumes are easier for me.

Comment

• mumma
                • Oct 2008

henri michaux - un barbare en asie

before

d.h. lawrence - woman in love
                LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
                Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
                www.loupeon.com

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

I bought a whole bagful of books at the Strand today, and none of them for work...have not indulged myself like that in ages.

Memoirs of a dog Daido Moriyama (essays + photographs)
                  It's beautiful here, isn't it? Luigi Ghirri (photographs)
                  No one belongs here more than you Miranda July (stories)
                  I was told there would be cake Sloane Crosley (essays)

Also, Bataille's book on prehistoric art, a book on Saharan rock paintings, and some essays on Giacometti by Jacques Dupin.

yes, i have been reading all of them, at the same time.
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• dontbecruel
                    • Sep 2006

I also bought that Moriyama book from Strand last time I was in NY about 5 yrs ago. They must have had a box-full!
                    The really covetable Daido for me is a book called Kageru (Mayfly) from 1972. The only copy I've ever seen was about $5000 though. If anyone spots it in messed up condition in a flea market somewhere please let me know: my collection would be complete.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

dbc, do you specifically want the 1972 edition? Because the strand also had this, which I spent some time admiring. I guess you've seen it though, since it's on amazon.

and of course, it's Memories of a Dog, not memoirs, silly me.
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• diamonds
                        • Dec 2006

i dont usually read but i'm reading Seven Pillars of Wisdom right now.

Comment

• eaglewood
                          • Feb 2007

I really like Daido Moriyama. I have a collection of his works published as broadsheet prints. It is published by Michael Hoppen Gallery in UK.

I was going to pull it apart and tack the prints in the walls at home alternating them over time. I couldn't find room on the walls and they have just remained in the broadsheet. I would really like to have them up though. He is such a great photographer. I missed what looked like an excellent exhibition of his works in Tokyo about 5 years ago which was big disappointment.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

I'm reading seven days in the art world so you don't have to, I have a feeling it'll be "the tipping point" of it's particular topic (in other words, bullshit).

Also ordered some books from amazon, while I was on the topic I'll finally read "the $12 million stuffed shark":

1 of: The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art
                            1 of: May '68 and Its Afterlives
                            1 of: Anti-Intellectualism in American Life
                            1 of: Art After Conceptual Art (Generali Foundation Collection)
                            1 of: Chris Marker

I rarely order books in english so this will be good practice.
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

I'm surprised no one has read the Hofstadter book or has anything to say about it, supposedly a classic and was published in 64.
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                                I'm surprised no one has read the Hofstadter book or has anything to say about it, supposedly a classic and was published in 64.
                                the topic interests me, but I recall reading that Hofstadter's politics eclipses his skills as a historian in this book. i really hate that and have never bothered picking it up...probably unfair on my part.

I'm curious to know what you think of Sarah Thornton's book. I have not read it, but I've read other works by sociologists who "infiltrate" elite insider worlds in the name of ethnography and have found them all rather lame and disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎