X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
    the topic interests me, but I recall reading that Hofstadter's politics eclipses his skills as a historian in this book. i really hate that and have never bothered picking it up...probably unfair on my part.

I'm curious to know what you think of Sarah Thornton's book. I have not read it, but I've read other works by sociologists who "infiltrate" elite insider worlds in the name of ethnography and have found them all rather lame and disappointing.
    I read most of it in a day (that was also occupied doing other stuff), it's like beach reading. Nothing fantastic and more about being "clever" than anything else. I guess it's good light reading if you like the topic, you're not going to learn incredible stuff unless you don't know about criticism or fairs. Some of the "players" remarks are enlightening, particularly the Christie's girl who explains how painting that are red or blue go for higher in auctions or stupid stuff like that. Art prices =bullshit, but you already knew that.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      I read most of it in a day (that was also occupied doing other stuff), it's like beach reading. Nothing fantastic and more about being "clever" than anything else. I guess it's good light reading if you like the topic, you're not going to learn incredible stuff unless you don't know about criticism or fairs. Some of the "players" remarks are enlightening, particularly the Christie's girl who explains how painting that are red or blue go for higher in auctions or stupid stuff like that. Art prices =bullshit, but you already knew that.
      Thanks for the review. It sounds like you were reading mostly for information, but what did you make of her "argument," if there is one? Isn't the premise something about contemporary art as religion? And I guess I can ask, since it's you, do you feel like the book has sociological or anthropological merit?

i don't mean to push, just curious to get an [informed] perspective from outside the field.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
        Thanks for the review. It sounds like you were reading mostly for information, but what did you make of her "argument," if there is one? Isn't the premise something about contemporary art as religion? And I guess I can ask, since it's you, do you feel like the book has sociological or anthropological merit?

i don't mean to push, just curious to get an [informed] perspective from outside the field.
        The argument isn't developed or significantly present, just gives something to say in the cover intro.

I have no idea if the book has any ethnological merit (that's what it is, contemp. ethnology) as we don't get a glimpse in her process and there is almost no analysis aside from on the cusp ones. This would make sense if it was rigorous observation that is merely a source for future books but not for a self-contained, directed at a large public one. In fact I'd say it's more like 7 long articles on the theme of the contemporary art world, it has this "in the moment", subjective quality which makes it quite entertaining but no dice academically.

One of the problems I have with the book is that it seems to be directed at people who know nothing of the topic, the author feels she need to define naive art and when the chapter on Murakami starts you get to learn what superflat is .
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• josef_k
          • Jul 2008

the yearly book sale just started so I just picked up nabokov's lolita, don't usually read a lot.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by josef_k View Post
            the yearly book sale just started so I just picked up nabokov's lolita, don't usually read a lot.
            You should read some Kafka before this. I recommend the Trial.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• josef_k
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              You should read some Kafka before this. I recommend the Trial.
              i already have, started off with Metamorphosis and moved on to trial eventually.

i tend to puss out when choosing books. in the end I always stick to the classics and the authors our literature teacher showed down our throats back in school (can't get flaubert out of my head yet).

im about to get "on the beach" by carl hansen for a change, maybe a inappropriate choice for exploring contemporary authors, but what the hell miami beach baby

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by josef_k View Post
                i already have, started off with Metamorphosis and moved on to trial eventually.

i tend to puss out when choosing books. in the end I always stick to the classics and the authors our literature teacher showed down our throats back in school (can't get flaubert out of my head yet).

im about to get "on the beach" by carl hansen for a change, maybe a inappropriate choice for exploring contemporary authors, but what the hell miami beach baby
                Dude, I know - I was commenting on your username
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• josef_k
                  • Jul 2008

WELL IM TIRED. We are all out of oranges = energy critical. You should check out goethe? hehööö

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I heard good things about Goethe, although I still don't understand where the "r" comes from in pronunciation. Where to kop?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Wiggles
                      • Sep 2008

again

Comment

• jumpoff
                        • Jan 2008

Just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Sorry I didn't read it before.

Feel like reading more Kundera, any tips?

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

jumpoff, I would read The Book of Laughter and Forgetting and then maybe Immortality.
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Magician
                            • Jul 2008

Just grabbed a bunch more Philip K Dick (Flow my tears the policman said is the first). I can't think of too many author's that seem more SZ appropriate (in aesthetic terms at least). Maybe William Gibson on the pulpier end, or Pynchon on the other...

Also on my goal of reading more contemporary Jewish authors:

Shalom Auslander A Foreskin's Lament One of the most revealing meditations on religious fundamentalism in modern life. Brings a ( darkly comic) personal spin that many of the bestselling academic works on this subject lack.

Micheal Chabon's Kavalier and Klay - I know I've been sleeping on this. Loved the Yiddish Policman's Union so I'm excited.
                            Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Nikov
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jumpoff View Post
                              Just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Sorry I didn't read it before.

Feel like reading more Kundera, any tips?

The Joke

one of his best IMO

Comment

• kbi
                                • Feb 2009

I'm readin Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.. somewhat hilarious I find myself laughing all the time on my way to school. Ah yeah and before I tried to read The Great Gatsby in school but couldnt finish.

If someone needs tips for good german books I can stand by

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎