• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
    jumpoff, I would read The Book of Laughter and Forgetting and then maybe Immortality.
    Agreed, but I would reverse the order. Immortality is my favorite of his. TBLF is great as well. Laughable Loves is also worth reading.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Finally finished The Name of the Rose. Great book, interesting, entertaining, informative, and well-written.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Per Petersen - Out Stealing Horses. I'm struggling through this. The prose is nice, even in translation, but the reader is not made to give a fuck about the dude's life.

Greg Bear - Darwin's Radio. Shockingly good for a random sci-fi pickup to read on a plane.

Can't Recall - Framing the Future. Useful political book, not very fun.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• destroyed
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I heard good things about Goethe, although I still don't understand where the "r" comes from in pronunciation. Where to kop?
          you should check out the sorrows of young werther. you may just find yourself wanting a yellow leather waistcoat afterward.
          broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by destroyed View Post
            you should check out the sorrows of young werther. you may just find yourself wanting a yellow leather waistcoat afterward.

I have checked it out. Still not willing to commit suicide.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• destroyed
              • Nov 2006

i have a soft spot for suicide in the arts. not so much in practical application.

i am reading the adventures of augie march now; my first shot at saul bellow-----hopefully it ends with self murder!

Comment

• kofi3159
                • Feb 2009

Lately I have been reading The lady with the little dog by ANTON CHEKOV

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kofi3159 View Post
                  Lately I have been reading The lady with the little dog by ANTON CHEKOV
                  Dude it's a short story. How long does it take? :)

Foreskin's Lament by Shalom Auslander. Really funny.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cabl3
                    • Dec 2008

"If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
                    - Wilde

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by destroyed View Post
                      i have a soft spot for suicide in the arts. not so much in practical application.

i am reading the adventures of augie march now; my first shot at saul bellow-----hopefully it ends with self murder!
                      try mishima
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• note
                        • Dec 2008

Earlier in the month I re read Gibson's Neuromancer and Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dreams of Electric Sheep.

But now I'm onto a contemporary piece of literature by an author from Brooklyn ... Dumar Brown's The World Screaming Nov.

Comment

• cabl3
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by note View Post
                          Earlier in the month I re read Gibson's Neuromancer and Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dreams of Electric Sheep.

But now I'm onto a contemporary piece of literature by an author from Brooklyn ... Dumar Brown's The World Screaming Nov.
                          Gibson is one of my favorite authors and Neuromancer was the first book of his that I read. If you liked it I recommend that you finish the "Sprawl Trilogy". Neuromancer being the first part, followed by:

Count Zero
                          Mona Lisa Overdrive

I also read Neuromancer twice over, and I found that I understood it better the second time around.
                          I found Count Zero to be way better than Neuromancer, you really see his writing improved for that book; everything seems to flow much better and the story is just amazing.

One of his newer books Pattern Recognition is also really good, and I loved how it delves quite a bit into the fashion/marketing and cult following (almost avant garde?) art industries. Plus the main character's general "look" fits in with SZ a bit.

Philip K. Dick is a really good author and I want to read many of his other books. The novel for A Scanner Darkly is sooo much better than the movie.
                          - Wilde

Comment

• cabl3
                            • Dec 2008

I was also kind of excited to hear that Chris Cunningham was supposedly working on a script for a Neuromancer movie...but that was years ago, and I dont think it will ever get finished.
                            - Wilde

Comment

• destroyed
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cabl3 View Post

One of his newer books Pattern Recognition is also really good, and I loved how it delves quite a bit into the fashion/marketing and cult following (almost avant garde?) art industries. Plus the main character's general "look" fits in with SZ a bit.
                              ha i am wearing my buzz rickson "pattern recognition" ma-1 right now (well, it is on my chair, as i am indoors)

i wouldn't say either dick or gibson are good writers
                              their ideas are fantastic but not great stylists
                              gibson is something of a wordsmith----i will give him that

i found gibson's last, spook country, disappointing
                              i saw him speak when he was touring that book
                              huge guy
                              had an acronym bag
                              dry fella

Comment

• Magician
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by cabl3 View Post

Philip K. Dick is a really good author and I want to read many of his other books. The novel for A Scanner Darkly is sooo much better than the movie.
                                I'm a huge fan of Philip K. Dick and have read most everything he's written. That being said I thought the Scanner Darkly film was one of the most perfect novel adaptations I've ever seen.

Why do you say the book is sooo much better?
                                Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎