X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Yes, FtB, I read it with a dictionary by my side (everyone would).
    Merz, I am convinced that mamaboy, like deleuze, is a one man nation.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
      i never got around to finishing blood meridian...visually it was a very complex book to realize when reading, found it pretty taxing on the attention compared to a lot of what I've read. Maybe I'll get back to it some time when I'm in a more focused state, or even make the cardinal sin of going back to read it after I've watched the movie lulz.
      go back and finish it. there is an awesome scene at the end where they are in a field of buffalo bones that to me was the highlight of the novel and one of the most visceral passages in all literature. that said as my friend put it best the book reads like herman melville crossed with john woo.
      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DamageX View Post
        I'm a big fan of Philip K. Dick, I just finished reading Lies, Inc and Penultimate Truth. Now I'm going through my Alfred Bester books.
        don't stop reading until you've read valis and the transmigration of timothy archer.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ose View Post
          I just got to the end of Crime and Punishment and now I'm just simply exhausted! What a brilliant book..
          that dream sequence with the little girl and suicide are so epic, manic, and wonderful.

Comment

• jamesd
            • Sep 2008

To me, Crime and Punishment is the most well-constructed novel I've read, in terms of plot, story. I haven't read the entire book in Russian (plan to, though, someday), so I can't comment too intelligently on the prose, but it's brilliantly executed. I wonder what Dostoevskii's process was, in terms of planning out his books.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jamesd View Post
              To me, Crime and Punishment is the most well-constructed novel I've read, in terms of plot, story. I haven't read the entire book in Russian (plan to, though, someday), so I can't comment too intelligently on the prose, but it's brilliantly executed. I wonder what Dostoevskii's process was, in terms of planning out his books.
              1. Wake up
              2. Think of how much the world hates you and how much more talented you are than those famous hacks.
              3. Project your hatred on the Jews.
              4. Yell at your wife and tell her how bad she looks
              5. Think about how broke you are.
              6. Go gamble and lose some money to bring yourself down even lower.
              7. Get snubbed by a waiter or some other servant to really rile you up.
              8. Write.

Read Summer in Baden-Baden by Leonid Tsypkin
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                1. Wake up
                2. Think of how much the world hates you and how much more talented you are than those famous hacks.
                3. Project your hatred on the Jews.
                4. Yell at your wife and tell her how bad she looks
                5. Think about how broke you are.
                6. Go gamble and lose some money to bring yourself down even lower.
                7. Get snubbed by a waiter or some other servant to really rile you up.
                8. Write.

Read Summer in Baden-Baden by Leonid Tsypkin
                It's on my list -- fictional, though, no?

Comment

• LustMord
                  • Mar 2009

The Shadow of the Wind (Spanish: La sombra del viento) is a 2001 novel by Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The novel, set in post- Spanish Civil War Barcelona, concerns a young boy, Daniel. Just after the war, Daniel's father takes him to the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a huge library of old, forgotten titles lovingly preserved by a select few initiates. According to tradition, everyone initiated to this secret place is allowed to take one book from it, and must protect it for life. Daniel selects a book called The Shadow of the Wind by Julián Carax. That night he takes the book home and reads it, completely engrossed. Daniel then attempts to look for other books by this unknown author, but can find none. All he comes across are stories of a strange man - calling himself Laín Coubert, after a character in the book who happens to be the Devil - who has been seeking out Carax's books for decades, buying them all and burning them. In time this mysterious figure confronts and threatens Daniel. Terrified, Daniel returns the book to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books but continues to seek out the story of the elusive author. In doing so Daniel becomes entangled in an age old conflict that began with the author himself. Many parallels are found to exist between the author's life and Daniel's and he takes it upon himself to make sure history does not repeat.

(Plot summary from Wikipedia)

A very impressing novel;which I never would like to read due to the fact that it is a world bestseller but i read it anyway because one of my friends gave it to me, and I will never miss it...

Sorry for my bad english by the way
                  Lu

Comment

• DamageX
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                    don't stop reading until you've read valis and the transmigration of timothy archer.
                    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll read those next!

Comment

• business
                      • Mar 2009

Was told to read marquis de sade ''120 days of sodom''........ Still trying to finish it, can't get close though, too full on.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jamesd View Post
                        It's on my list -- fictional, though, no?
                        Written as a novel, yes, but drawing very much from Dostoyevsky's life - the author has done considerable research.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

Dostoevsky's one of those writers I've always meant to check out...but I wonder how much is lost by reading a translated version. A main reason why there's a lot of 'classic' texts I haven't attempted, something about the filtering process just strikes me as strange, a weird tic. Don't imagine I'll be picking up Russian any time soon...
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• mamaboy
                            • Mar 2008

de sade for me could be too technical ....like a manual.....but some lines r very touching.....and stories from old whores r good.....theres nothing like shugar daddy stories.....even proust....swan loves total whore.....but how tuoching the story is.....so romantic...
                            but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

genet felt too gay for me.....but i never made an effort......but he liked bukowski.....russians do not get bukowski......they do not go behind drink and shit.....its hard to see "that little flame".....

Comment

• mamaboy
                                • Mar 2008

by the way ....did anybody noticed how houellebecq puts down nabokov,harmonie korine and lary clark in his last book.......im afraid im alone again....

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎