X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

loving by henry green

not sure whether to put this down or continue with it to the end. it's very well-written but a bit mannered for my tastes. has anyone here read this or anything else by the author? his titles are fantastic if nothing else.
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Vanna
      • May 2008

E=mc2 by Bodanis. Funny how some of the worlds greatest scientists were such catty bitches.
      Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• deius
        • Jul 2009

@ jamesd,
        I read Jonathan Strange last year, I'd have to say I struggled through it; it seems to have largely favourable reviews in general despite being long winded and, in parts, very contrived (mainly because of the self-conscious narration). It can be funny though, and at times highly original.

Worth finishing I'd say, if you rush through it. In future though, I think if I'm going to take the time to read a 500 page plus novel I'll make sure it's a "classic" or at least decent lit.

Comment

• doldrums
          • Dec 2008

Original version (for the cover art of course):

Comment

• comex9
            • Jan 2009

Any Ann Rand is the schnizel, but Firehouse by Dvid Halberstam, a Hiroshima for 911

Comment

• jamesd
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by deius View Post
              @ jamesd,
              I read Jonathan Strange last year, I'd have to say I struggled through it; it seems to have largely favourable reviews in general despite being long winded and, in parts, very contrived (mainly because of the self-conscious narration). It can be funny though, and at times highly original.

Worth finishing I'd say, if you rush through it. In future though, I think if I'm going to take the time to read a 500 page plus novel I'll make sure it's a "classic" or at least decent lit.
              Thank you for your thoughts on it. I'll probably finish it eventually.

Now reading Ask the Dust by John Fante

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
                Original version (for the cover art of course):

seminal, pun intended
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• ose
                  • Mar 2009

balzac, le cousin pons. ah i was near crying in the end! now i'm not that well versed yet in western literature on the whole and literature in general but the relationship of pons and schmucke must be one of the most beautiful, and most tragic ever portrayed.

got an itch i can't stratch now except by delving into his work more thoroughly, is there any recommendations as to where i should go next? or should i just plunge into whatever picks out from the library shelf, i understand his body of work is HUGE..
                  Last edited by ose; 07-29-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

It is. You should probably try Les illusions perdues or Eugenie Grandet

Comment

• BSR
                      • Aug 2008

Or try La Cousine Bette which is the twin novel with Pons (part of the "Les Parents pauvres" set). It is probably also both Balzac's masterpiece (with Les Illusions perdues and Goriot to my taste) and one of the peaks of tragic in literature. This time you will cry for sure (or you're heartless!).
                      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Saramago will do that to you. I have that feeling abou orham pamuk. Granted, I only read snow.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• raddy
                          • Oct 2008

Finished The Magicians and can't say I liked it. =\

Deciding between What Remains by Kirino or finally reading Dune

I remember reading Loving in undergrad and loving/hating it. Beautiful lines like "Her voice with thick with love. She shut the door." And then pages of near impossible to follow rambling.

I'm pretty impatient. If I don't love the protagonist or author's voice in first 5 pages, it's hopeless.
                          Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• laughed
                            • Jul 2009

Wondering if anyone has any nice artist monograph recommendations? Just picked up a book by the artist Michael Borremans and it is incredible. Also ordered an Urs Fischer book.

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

my favored "interviews with francis bacon"
                              but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• doldrums
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                                seminal, pun intended
                                no kidding. wish I could actually wade through it...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎