X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deius
    • Jul 2009

Graham Greene - Monsignor Quixote
    A very light, comedic modern retelling of Don Quixote (though I haven't read it, I'm tempted to). Plenty of discussion of belief and religion.

After racing through a huge string of modern classics I feel like something recent and "edgy", like a post-punk novel or a smart thriller. Nick Cave has just released a new book, it might be what I need.

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

Oh really? What's it called? I remember loving loving loving And The Ass Saw The Angel a few years ago...

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

Arno Schmidt's Vaches en demi-deuil ; full of minor science, terribly cunning, sarcastic and funny. One of the very few writers that can make me laugh, strangely - always taking me by surprise. And he's got this very special talent for metaphors that reminds me of Jean Paul.

Also a selection of Noh theater. I love it - the way bribes of ancient poetry merge in the words of those who speak, the way one begins a sentence that will be finished by the other, the way the main character sometimes speak of himself as if he were someone else, saying "And slowly he disappears" while he's walking away.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• mamaboy
          • Mar 2008

proust again....no hope for me.....at least i am not llstening to "leningrad" all the time
          but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• deius
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by galia View Post
            Oh really? What's it called? I remember loving loving loving And The Ass Saw The Angel a few years ago...
            Haven't read that, it's called the Death of Bunny Munro, a new release. Mixed reviews though, I've seen 2 saying that it's well written but ultimately mediocre.

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

Cool I'll try to check it out

Comment

• klangspiel
                • Apr 2007

revisiting this literary gem after attending the documentary on gysin and the dreammachine. book reads better than i remember it.

Comment

• tarzan63
                  • Aug 2009

Did you read already 'Whistling a happy tune'? Not many other books have appeared about him. And those who did are sold out. Coming up soon a book on his paintings. Join the Borremans admirors ;-)

Comment

• tarzan63
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                    Wondering if anyone has any nice artist monograph recommendations? Just picked up a book by the artist Michael Borremans and it is incredible. Also ordered an Urs Fischer book.
                    Did you read already 'Whistling a happy tune'? Not many other books have appeared about him. And those who did are sold out. Horse hunting, Weight, The Performance... Coming up soon a book on his paintings.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

galia and Mail-Moth, your manners of literary description are very enticing!

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                      Also a selection of Noh theater. I love it - the way bribes of ancient poetry merge in the words of those who speak, the way one begins a sentence that will be finished by the other, the way the main character sometimes speak of himself as if he were someone else, saying "And slowly he disappears" while he's walking away.
                      i literally dashed to the bookshelf to take down my own neglected volume of Noh.
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• ose
                        • Mar 2009

thank you, galia and BSR! i borrowed both, la cousine bette and eugenie grandet, also because my father couldn't praise either one enough, he is quite the balzac enthusiast.. seems rather like he wants to turn me into one too

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

I really need to read more Balzac, last time I read him I was in high school (shame)

I am currently reading El Aleph, a book of short stories by JL Borges. As usual, it is absolutely splendid and tortuous. I haven't finished it, but so far everything seems to be based on the image of the labyrinth, the stories are built on the idea of reversal and the unveiling of a reality that is a dramatic opposite of what it seems. I'm sure I'm not the only Borges fan here, so I'll leave it at that.

Before that, I read The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan, who is probably my favourite living author. I liked it a lot ; it was, in true McEwanian form, extremely eerie, and downright creepy at times. The writing is magnificent, precise and wrought to the extreme. However, to me it is not his best book, as I tend to feel he has been getting better and better with time (which is good, as usually it is the reverse, especially with "pop" writers). The perversion was much more in-your-face in his early work, and I love how it is still fully there now, but in an almost invisible way. To me his last one, On Chesil Beach, was a perfect example of that, since the (SPOILER ALERT) incest is never mentioned, even though it is the cornerstone of the psychology of the female character and therefore of the whole story. On Chesil Beach is a masterpiece anyway, I'm sure I'll re-read it many times.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I don't know how it is in French, but in English these stories are collected into a volume that's called The Labyrinths.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

Well apparently there was a first partial collection of these short stories called Le Labyrinthe, because not all of them were translated at first. Some time later, the remaining stories were published in French and then both were combined under the original title, L'Aleph

(There is an introduction to the book, I'm not that geeky in real life)

Comment

• cabl3
                                • Dec 2008

Currently in the middle of Snuff by Chuck Palahnuick

Next in line (as in Ive bought too many books and need to read them, haha):

1984, George Orwell
                                Atlas Shrugged, Ayrn Rand
                                The Picture of Dorian Grey, Oscar Wilde
                                Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
                                Spook Country, William Gibson

A friend of mine swears by The Picture of Dorian Grey, says its his favorite novel ever. Anyone have recommendations as far as finding a novel as (i havent read it) enthralling and amazing, and stylistically similar to it?
                                "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
                                - Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎