Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viv1984viv
    • Feb 2008

"The Death of Ivan Ilyich" is poignant tale.

Hanajibu - care to post an amazon link to the P&V Tolstoy shorts??

Read Robert Louis Stevensons "The Body Snatchers" - dark stuff, imagine lots of viridi-anne clad, ruffians carrying out abhorrent deeds in the woods at night..
    Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• mamaboy
      • Mar 2008

tolstoy is boring
      but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
        • Mar 2008

never could finish "war and piece"....fuck that

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

/\ second. not boring, but still couldn't finish it. it's an arduous book and I praise those who finish it.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hanajibu
            • Jan 2007

@ viv1984viv: i don't think there is one yet, the p+v translation's publication date is nov 22 of this year. my first time reading "master and man" — THAT was poignant.
            @ faust: "war and peace" felt like two novels to me, and i've only read p+v's translation since i do not know russian. i.e. the society scenes, which i found exhilarating/captivating, and the war scenes that were way over my head and i plodded through.

Comment

• viv1984viv
              • Feb 2008

Ah - right, will have to keep an eye out for it then.

War and Peace feels like the wire, a continuous soap opera, growing attached to such beautifully rendered characters and following them through thick and thin..... conversely Tolstoy intended it to be a pretty accurate historical account.... so I guess extra details took precedence over constructing gripping crescendos in some places.

The second epigraph at the end, his notes on histories, cannons etc is pretty much the most important part of the book for me. Really transforms your understanding of the experience you have just lived through when reading the book.

I wish I read the P&V translation but unfortunately they released it after id finished the maude and maude version from everymans library... Id like to re-read War and Peace but would do the P&V this time round, im probably not going to start it anytime soon as there are just so many other great books out there vying for my attention..

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
                Ah - right, will have to keep an eye out for it then.

War and Peace feels like the wire, a continuous soap opera, growing attached to such beautifully rendered characters and following them through thick and thin..... conversely Tolstoy intended it to be a pretty accurate historical account.... so I guess extra details took precedence over constructing gripping crescendos in some places.

The second epigraph at the end, his notes on histories, cannons etc is pretty much the most important part of the book for me. Really transforms your understanding of the experience you have just lived through when reading the book.

I wish I read the P&V translation but unfortunately they released it after id finished the maude and maude version from everymans library... Id like to re-read War and Peace but would do the P&V this time round, im probably not going to start it anytime soon as there are just so many other great books out there vying for my attention..
                The other way around, my friend - soap operas are kitsch based exactly on books like that.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                  • Feb 2007

Read Hadji Murat, it's Tolstoy, it's really good, and it's only 100 something pages.

Comment

• Aleks
                    • Feb 2009

does anybody else read with a pencil and notebook?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
                      When I am writing an article on the said book :-) Always a good practice though - there is so much we miss.

I read an interesting thought in a recent article (don't remember which, how telling!), people used to read a 100 books in their life time very carefully and would be considered educated, we now skim 1,000 books in our lifetime and don't know them deeply.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
                        I use a pencil to underline/make notes in my books. I just can't stomach using something permanent like pen even though I know I'll never erase the pencil marks and, even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to erase all traces anyway.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Reading The Cellist of Sarajevo by Stephen Galloway, which is as good as they say. 'Them' being the likes of Richard & Judy (won't mean much if you ain't from the UK), which usually isn't the kind of endorsement I would go for. But made all the more poignant by having lived pretty closely through the Yugoslavian conflict. I recommend.
                          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            The other way around, my friend - soap operas are kitsch based exactly on books like that.
                            Ha - yeah - thats a it of a crude comparison...

But I just felt it didnt have as defined a plot arch or finale as other books....overall...so thats not to say it didnt have them- it did - but just so so many - im to tired, I cant easily sum up the experience..

But alot of Russian books were released in journals or periodicals spread over months. Nowadays I think - maybe for some people - its too easy to dismiss a Dostoevsky or something due to fear of not being able to finish it in 3 sittings and not getting the best out of it... this is simple not the case, take the time, read it bit by bit and relish each page.

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

"obstetric anesthesia".....just kiddin......i saw this book in somebodys house and thuoght i looked into this ,let me put it on sz

Comment

• cda6
                                • Aug 2009

Dune

Dune!
                                its great after the first 40 pages.
                                "What Remains is Future..."

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰