• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Mark Flood - Lace Paintings

/\ Seventh told me that Robert Hughes is a callous conservative bourgeois who has no appreciation for finer things in life, and reading him is in bad taste. I disagreed [:P]
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
      • Dec 2006

^^^ More or less... [;)]
      I just think Hughes likes to cover the history of art with broad strokes and (esp. in 20th and contemporary art) misses out on a lot of subtleties. He tends to throw artists into groups, and groups into movements, so that it can facilitate whatever story or theory he has about the history of art. It is kinda a minor point, but it promotes a way thinking that the actual looking at art is secondary to the historical story "behind" the work. When you read him, you realize that he hardly ever writes about the actual painting or object in a way that opens it up for interpretation and respects it as its own entity. Instead, I feel like he is always trying to explain it away, to make it fit his larger point--the paintings become footnotes. I like writers that are generous in their language and with their eyes, and open things up, react, admit their conflicting reactions, live and love the work that they are writing about.

So I find his writing is pompous and rather boring. Like a professor telling me what to think.

Some writers I enjoy include: Peter Schjeldhal (his essay on Sigmar Polke is totally brilliant), Thierry de Duve, Robert Storr, Arthur Danto, Dave Hickey (the Invisible Dragon book, not as much his later stuff), I'll probably think of more later... I honestly prefer to read interviews and writings by artists than by critics in general (Francis Bacon's interviews and also Philip Guston's come to mind...) And, it doesn't really fit into any of these categories, butt I think that Delueze's book on Francis Bacon is one of the best books (of any sort) that I have ever read.

Laika, silverpoint is where its at! It is actually can be a little tricky, but I am a freak about weird old techniques... Painting-wise, I really don't think there is much good painting out there (bit of a curmudgeon about these sorts of things--I tend to think we are lucky if we get one decent painter a decade). I am really, really hopeful about Neo Rauch (although I lost my hope about Peter Doig), I have a soft spot for Elizabeth Peyton (probably undeserved), Polke is great, Kiefer has his moments, as does Lucian Freud, Guston was great, Bacon (of course), back-in-the-day Soutine... I could go on but perhaps we should put this in another thread...
      </p>

skecr8r, I also would be interested in seeing some of the fabirc paintings you made (if your willing to show them, of course[:)])
      </p>

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

It reminded me of this Jurgi Persoons show invite (which is the most brilliant thing ever - just read what it says on the right side)</p>

</p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

Goddamn brilliant.
          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎