Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Time & Space
    • Jan 2008

I would take your time and make it 3 days..

LA to Santa Barbara stay the night there. @90 miles
    Eats in Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara to San Simeon @145 miles
    Hearst Castle Tour
    Sea Lions

Drive to Deetjan's spend the night @15miles
    Esalan Hot Tubs
    Pfieffer State Beach
    Hikes

Drive to Pacific Grove stay in Monterey @15 miles
    Pt. Lobos
    Carmel

Then Drive to San Francisco along the coast as far as you can, go through Pacifica. Don't go inland, the coastline North of Santa Cruz is gorgeous, stay on the coast. Go north of San Francisco, and go to the Pt. Reyes Beach and Lighthouse and Bodega Bay..

Big Sur is a very windy road and is best taken slow, stop at all the overlooks and take pictures of all the famous bridges, and locations. Take your time, let it settle in. It is one of the most photographed Highways in the world. Take advantage of the area. You must do Eselan Hot Tubs... If you try to drive it to fast you will miss way to much. Highway 1 is not the Highway to take to get to a destination, it is the Highway to take for the journey and experience.

There are two Julia Pfieffer parks, one is located South of Big Sur, and one is located in Big Sur. The one in Big Sur is the 3 mile drive to the beach, and the one that is not marked.. Just FYI..

Some pics..

San Simeon Coast

Sea Lion that I walked up to.. Be careful, they can chase you down, but to get this close is always fun.. There are sea lions spread on the coast not only at the rookery. So if you want to find one by yourself, I suggest you stop at the old Hotel at the North End of the San Simeon Coast. Its a white building with Blue Trim, closed down. There are often Sea Lions on the beach there and know restrictions or Park People bothering you.. LOL ..

Famous WPA Bridge, where they always shoot car commercials.

Ragged Point-- This is where the San Simeon Coast meets the mountains, and your last point before going into the drive along the mountain Highway. You are pretty much in the mountains til you hit Monterey for the most part, some lowlands etc. Ragged point has a lot of old ships that sunk there back in the 1800s.

Djeetan's Cabin-- Get a solo cabin with fireplace, don't stay in the dorm cabin..Read the Books of other travelers, hilarious stories sometimes.

Pt. Sur Lighthouse north of Big Sur
    Last edited by Time & Space; 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM.
    "With all due respect to Jesus Christ, Elvis was the greatest philanthropist of all time" -- Elvis Impersonator

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

I second that. Faust go to Esalan!!!! Also JULIA PFEIFFER STATE PARK in Big Sur is AMAZING! Don't forget the Henry Miller Library too!

cheers to Time & Space! I just moved to Cali. and this is an amazing list!

edit :

Here's a shot I took of my last hike up in Big Sur. Magic Hour!

Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
        I second that. Faust go to Esalan!!!! Also JULIA PFEIFFER STATE PARK in Big Sur is AMAZING! Don't forget the Henry Miller Library too!
        Esalen tubs are public only from 1 to 3 AM, right? Wonderful tubs, weird weird place otherwise.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Time & Space
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
          Esalen tubs are public only from 1 to 3 AM, right? Wonderful tubs, weird weird place otherwise.
          The tubs are available from 12am to 4 am, sometimes 1 am.

I disagree about Esalen. I think it is awesome place and experience. Its a health and wholeness retreat for people exploring massage therapy and introspective search of the human experience and self awareness, and VERY $$$, and has been there a long time... If you find that weird, well okay.. LOL
          "With all due respect to Jesus Christ, Elvis was the greatest philanthropist of all time" -- Elvis Impersonator

Comment

• fncyths
            • Apr 2010

We did the midnight soak. It's only weird if you feel uncomfortable opening up your third eye for mystic visions and communing with the celestial vibrations of the universe.

Aside from that it's just a warm bath tub with a pretty view
            Originally posted by Shucks
            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
            Originally posted by interest1
            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Time & Space View Post
              The tubs are available from 12am to 4 am, sometimes 1 am.

I disagree about Esalen. I think it is awesome place and experience. Its a health and wholeness retreat for people exploring massage therapy and introspective search of the human experience and self awareness, and VERY $$$, and has been there a long time... If you find that weird, well okay.. LOL
              I did a few seminars there, and while I found the seminars quite enjoyable, the place itself was very strange. Shockingly regimented, and heavy handed. That being said, none of that would impact the midnight soaks.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Time & Space
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                I did a few seminars there, and while I found the seminars quite enjoyable, the place itself was very strange. Shockingly regimented, and heavy handed. That being said, none of that would impact the midnight soaks.

regimented and heavy handed.. yes I would agree with that for sure..

Comment

• Anomie
                  • Jan 2011

Many great wineries and restaurants along the way. Let me know if you want suggestions for wineries in Santa Cruz, Pas Robles, Los Olivos and Santa Ynez.

San Francisco is in my opinion the best restaurant scene in the country at this time.

Top Three Favorites:

1.) State Bird Provision
                  2.) Commonwealth
                  3.) La Ciccia or Atelier Crenn (depending on your mood - simple/pure versus intellectual/visual)

*for lunch - Locals Corner
                  *for a snack Una Pizza

SF RESTAURANTS:

Expensively Priced:

Atelier Crenn - I had a stunning meal here a month or so ago. I went back a 2nd night.

Dominique Crenn is the chef and owner of the three-Michelin-starred restaurant Atelier Crenn in San Francisco, where artistry is at the forefront, cuisine is a craft, and the community is an inspiration. “Atelier” can be defined as a workshop or studio, a concept that drives Chef Crenn’s modern vision for fine French cuisine. Her highly distinctive French heritage and imaginative gastronomic lair behind the stove at Atelier Crenn is a clear reflection of her unique life story.

Benu - Former French Laundry Chef

Since opening in 2010, Benu has become a San Francisco destination. Widely recognized as a leading restaurant, Benu was the first in San Francisco to receive three stars from The Michelin Guide in 2014. We aim to provide you with friendly, warm service and our chefs prepare a fixed menu each evening

Coi - An Institution and only overshadowed slightly by the amazingness of all of the newcomers on this list.

COI WE ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED. WE WILL POST AN UPDATE AS SOON AS WE HAVE ONE.MUCH GRATITUDE TO EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO OR DINED AT COI OVER THE LAST FIFTEEN YEARS. LOVE,DANIEL

Sons and Daughters - They have their own garden. The vegetarian tasting menu option is awesome. Small portions even for my tastes.

Saison - They now have a smaller tasting menu available in the Bar Salon Area

Medium Priced:

AQ - I have not been but hearing good things from people I respect.

Bar Agricole - Very good comfort styled food in a Brooklyn type place. Very good list. Anywhere else this would be a no-brainer.

A single origin spirits company. With a name inspired by the farmhouse rums of the French Caribbean, Bar Agricole was established in 2010 as an urban tavern that pioneered a craft distillery-focused approach to bar programs.

Central Kitchen - From the Flour and Water Crew. I like it a lot. There is a Salumeria in front that is open during the day.

Commonwealth - Love this place and the $60 tasting menu if fantastic.

La Ciccia - Authentic pure Sardinian cuisine by a Husband and Wife team. Comfort food of the highest calibre. Excellent focused wine list put together by the Chef who is a serious wine lover.

La Ciccia is an intimate restaurant located on the edge of Noe Valley. La Ciccia will take you to a culinary journey through the Italian island of Sardinia. The chef is committed to use the freshest and the most authentic ingredients from this incredible Island, resulting in pungent, lively, flavor

State Bird Provision - The most exciting restaurant $ for $ in the U.S. Not fancy but one I want to keep going back to over and over. Go early and put your name on the list. I usually stand (yes stand when alone) next to the kitchen in front.

The Red Trout dish is a must!

Located in San Francisco Fillmore District, State Bird Provisions and The Progress from husband-and-wife team Stuart Brioza and Nicole Krasinski has both earned a Michelin star, won numerous wards like the the James Beard Award for best new restaurant, and has been the city's hottest spots.

UNA Pizza - The owner/chef is a master and he built the place around his beloved oven which he had made in Italy.

Very Reasonably Priced:

Farmers Market - Go for breakfast on Saturday morning.

Mission Chinese - I still like the original the best.

Locanda - Excellent Italian food with a good winelist and cocktail program.

Locals Corner - Excellent tasty comfort food in a neighborhood setting. Excellent lunch spot (though closed on Monday)

Outerlands - Incredible value and unique setting in the outer sunset near the ocean. Bring your surfboard! The Terrior boys do the small winelist.

Locally sourced, organic fare served in a warm, handcrafted setting.

Terrior Wine Bar - Best natural wine Bar in the U.S.

OUTSIDE SF:

Chez Panise - Needs no introduction (sadly just had a fire and will be closed for an indeterminate time)

Commis - In Oakland. Chef worked at Manresa. Stunning place and value.

Commis is an Oakland restaurant by chef James Syhabout.

Manresa - One of my favorite restaurants in the world. The West Coast version on Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

BentoBox offers restaurants beautiful, mobile friendly websites that drive revenue and customers — complete with a simple, hospitality-focused management system, hosting and exceptional customer support.
                  Last edited by Anomie; 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Great list Anomie! I've a few agreements, disagreements, and additions.

------agreements/disagreements--------
                    I adore state bird provisions. It's not the best food you can get in SF, but it's about as great a meal experience as you can have. The great food in dim sum style is just so fun.

Commonwealth did not really do it for me, I found the food wonderfully presented but a bit bland.

Benu is consistently very good, and the dim sum style dishes are phenomenal. The wine list is quite nice, and surprisingly full of delicious reasonably priced bottles.

Bar Agricole really didn't live up to its reputation for us. We found the drinks good but not great, and the food tasty but not phenomenal.

Central Kitchen was sporadically brilliant. We were there right after they opened, so I imagine they are consistently brilliant now.
                    ---------additions--------
                    Aziza - phenomenal Moroccan food. Deserves all its acolades.

Cotogna - simple, satisfying, rustic italian food. So, so good.

Saint Vincent - Excellent food, so much great affordable wine, fun environment.

Namu Gaji - Tasty, cheap, fun.

Nopa - delicious. I believe started by Zuni alums with a bit more of a fun menu.

There are a handful of always very satisfying but never quite memorable restaurants - Baker & Banker, Beretta, Canteen, Delfina, Foreign Cinema, Range, are all places I go when I want good food, but don't want to think about it.

Skippable places - Alembic (except on the last Sunday of the month), Bar Agricole, Commonwealth, Frances, Hakkasan, Slanted Door, Spruce, Wayfare Tavern.
                    Last edited by theetruscan; 03-09-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Anomie
                      • Jan 2011

theetruscan - you also seem to know your restaurants. I think I simply like the style of food more at Commonwealth. I have eaten there 10 times and really enjoy it and this is coming from someone who lives in NYC and eats out regularly there as well as in Paris.

Cotogna is good and one that I should add. I do like Locanda better and La Ciccia is outstanding (if you have not been to I would highly recommend it).

St Vincente is a place I need to check out (thanks for pointing it out).

Have you tried Atelier Crenn?

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
                        Have you tried Atelier Crenn?
                        I did. I came away conflicted, which is why I didn't comment. At its best, I found the food creative, inspired, and delicious. At its worst, I found the food fussy, overly clever, and a little bland. I only went once, and need to go back before I have an opinion.

To be fair to commonwealth, I've eaten there only once, so it could have been an off night.

And, yeah, I do know my restaurants. There's a reason I'm nearly 100kg. Though, that being said, Sons and Daughters and Saison are still on my to visit list.

Comment

• Skye X
                          • Oct 2010

I'm not quite sure if it's been mentioned, but I highly recommend the Winchester Mystery House if you do end up heading up the 1 into Santa Cruz.

DEFINITELY stop at the Hidden Peak teahouse in Santa Cruz. The owner is fantastically knowledgeable, and previously had a shop called Chaikhana where I bought all of my tea when I lived in the bay area.

The Bonny Doon winery is a great stop on your way up the 1 from SC to SF. They're great people with fantastic vines, and (aesthetic bias alert) have my favorite labels of any winery (Ralph Steadman is their artist of choice).

Also on the food list in San Francisco should be Millenium and Cha-Ya.

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

re: bonny doon winery. Owner (Randal Grahm, in his words "Founder, Winemaker, Terroirist/Vinarchist and Prez-for-Life @BonnyDoonVineyd, Defender of Misunderstood and Underappreciated Doon-trodden Cépages of the Earth") is strange as hell... in a good way. When Le Cigare Volant was still in business, Randal had footnotes within footnotes and all kinds of strange shit like scholastic philosophy, quantum physics, wine-phenomenology, qualia, chemistry, literary/poetic passages etc... on the wine menu. Check out his blog: http://www.beendoonsolong.com/blog/
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Skye X
                              • Oct 2010

I knew he was weird, but not HOW weird... I like him even more now.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Thank you, gents, I have my work (and a rigorous exercise routine after it) cut out for me.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎