hidden park in santa cruz sounds great must make the drive
      *Hidden Peak.

Do so as soon as possible. It's lovely.

http://hiddenpeakteahouse.com

Comment

• Anomie
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by trentk View Post
        re: bonny doon winery. Owner (Randal Grahm, in his words "Founder, Winemaker, Terroirist/Vinarchist and Prez-for-Life @BonnyDoonVineyd, Defender of Misunderstood and Underappreciated Doon-trodden Cépages of the Earth") is strange as hell... in a good way. When Le Cigare Volant was still in business, Randal had footnotes within footnotes and all kinds of strange shit like scholastic philosophy, quantum physics, wine-phenomenology, qualia, chemistry, literary/poetic passages etc... on the wine menu. Check out his blog: http://www.beendoonsolong.com/blog/
        He is an interesting erudite guy who speaks and writes well. However, in my opinion he is really not taken seriously in the wine world and I don't recall the last time I saw someone actually drink one of his wines.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
          He is an interesting erudite guy who speaks and writes well. However, in my opinion he is really not taken seriously in the wine world and I don't recall the last time I saw someone actually drink one of his wines.
          I had one last month. It was delicious. Simple, not something super notable, but really nice. More the pity people don't give his oddball grapes a try more often.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Gents, does the following places makes sense?

Day 1, LA to Santa Barbara to Hearst Castle, stay at Ragged Point Inn

A must-see, landmark travel destination. The gateway to Big Sur and only 15 miles from Hearst Castle. Often called the 'Million Dollar View'. See it for yourself!

Day 2. From there through Big Sur and stay at night in Carmel.

Day 3. Early start, Carmel or Monterey to SF
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

While driving through Big Sur, stretch your legs at:

They have some good bands go through there too. Make sure to check their hours first if you do check it out.

If you get car sick easily, take proper precautions. The drive is one of the prettiest, but one of the most winding ones as well.

Comment

• Skye X
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post

A must-see, landmark travel destination. The gateway to Big Sur and only 15 miles from Hearst Castle. Often called the 'Million Dollar View'. See it for yourself!

That sounds like an excellent itinerary. The Madonna Inn is conspicuously absent, however.

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

the Monterey Bay Aquarium is one of the coolest places I have ever been. Worth a visit.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Skye X View Post
                    That sounds like an excellent itinerary. The Madonna Inn is conspicuously absent, however.
                    That looks totally scary
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                      • Apr 2010

If you can try and stay in Big Sur that night. It'll be like waking up in Rivendale, you'll drink the eternal dew of life, it's magical.
                      Originally posted by Shucks
                      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                      Originally posted by interest1
                      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Skye X
                        • Oct 2010

That looks totally scary
                        Scary? No way. Very unique, though. It's a bit kitsch, but the amazing decorations of many of the rooms more than make up for it. It's also great for photo shoots.

Comment

• jippos
                          • Mar 2007

Halfway between Monterey and SF (hour and a half) stop at Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero for breakfast: half green chili/half artichoke soup (to share), artichoke and cheese omelette, olallieberry or rhubarb pie. If you've got time, walk 10 minutes and visit the goat farm (Harley Farms, good cheese); right now is baby goat time!

Comment

• Anomie
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                            Great list Anomie! I've a few agreements, disagreements, and additions.

------agreements/disagreements--------
                            I adore state bird provisions. It's not the best food you can get in SF, but it's about as great a meal experience as you can have. The great food in dim sum style is just so fun.

Commonwealth did not really do it for me, I found the food wonderfully presented but a bit bland.

Benu is consistently very good, and the dim sum style dishes are phenomenal. The wine list is quite nice, and surprisingly full of delicious reasonably priced bottles.

Bar Agricole really didn't live up to its reputation for us. We found the drinks good but not great, and the food tasty but not phenomenal.

Central Kitchen was sporadically brilliant. We were there right after they opened, so I imagine they are consistently brilliant now.
                            ---------additions--------
                            Aziza - phenomenal Moroccan food. Deserves all its acolades.

Cotogna - simple, satisfying, rustic italian food. So, so good.

Saint Vincent - Excellent food, so much great affordable wine, fun environment.

Namu Gaji - Tasty, cheap, fun.

Nopa - delicious. I believe started by Zuni alums with a bit more of a fun menu.

There are a handful of always very satisfying but never quite memorable restaurants - Baker & Banker, Beretta, Canteen, Delfina, Foreign Cinema, Range, are all places I go when I want good food, but don't want to think about it.

Skippable places - Alembic (except on the last Sunday of the month), Bar Agricole, Commonwealth, Frances, Hakkasan, Slanted Door, Spruce, Wayfare Tavern.

A few updates:

Saison - I tried the new bar tasting menu. It was ok. I just don't feel the place. I think they are trying too hard. I called to see if I could get a reservation at 6:00 for one and they said 6:30 yet when I came the entire place was empty and it was still empty save for one table at 8:00.

AQ - Finally tried it and loved it.

State Bird - Two more great meals since my last post.

St Vincent - I also tried and only had a few things. I would go back.

Locals Corner - Another great lunch.

Rich Table is on my short list for next trip.

Comment

• comedyzen
                              • May 2009

I discovered a new spot. Radio Africa & Kitchen in the hood. Started off as a Pop Up now full blown brick n mortar. Make sure chef Eskender is at the helm that night because sometimes he is off doing a catering event and the wifey cooks. It's still good, but not as good.

It is best described as Cal-African. Organic produce and meats. Tasty and healthy.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Gents, I have a lunch meeting in Hayes Valley - any restaurant of note from the ones mentioned above?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎