X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rider
    eyes of the world
    • Jun 2009

I know Riedel but I'm thinking more of highball type glasses for distilled spirits. We have some at home that are probably from the 60's, angular, thicker on the bottom and more fragile on top. They have beautiful crisp lines yet hold the liquid like its suspended.
    I dont know the glass designer but I have a feeling there are artists doing this along the same lines as the furniture.

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

not angular, but i have these for water/cocktails/beer. marc newson for iitala. not in production anymore though, so u might have to dig around a bit.

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

yes, more like it. thanks.

these are by malfatti

Comment

• zen dog
          • Jan 2014

And here is something appropriate to keep your drinks cold:

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Furniture is the next fashion. It's the last frontier that has not been made sexy yet. I'm getting into that space more and more.
            Really? Furniture and apt design is like a fetish for the same population as fashion IMHO, urban dwellers with little space and no cars. Being in NYC I'd think you'd see it all the time.

Now I'll easily concede that on a case by case basis I am often surprised by the amount of people who are "into fashion" but don't care about interior design,visual arts, music, cinema, graphic design, architecture and so on so forth. It is hard to separate an interest in "aesthetics" from it's various applications but it seems to be done with some regularity.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• zen dog
              • Jan 2014

Yes, Fuuma. The stereotype and dismissal of "nerd"- one who is obsessed with a singular subject (usually computers, science) to the exclusion of all else (usually human interaction) has rightly been lessened if not dispelled. I'm about ready to bring it back to a degree for the narrow focus you mention. You come at it from fashion, I've come at it from other disciplines, but the same blinders are worn, they are just pointed in a different direction.

I've become more of a generalist over the years. I know my original core knowledge has slipped but there is such a richness in the world, all its elements and how they interact that its been a good trade off. I am a visual artist and am not backing off that pursuit (no sense in being a nerd generalist!) but I see people wallowing in their singular passions and then missing so much.

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                Really? Furniture and apt design is like a fetish for the same population as fashion IMHO, urban dwellers with little space and no cars. Being in NYC I'd think you'd see it all the time.

Now I'll easily concede that on a case by case basis I am often surprised by the amount of people who are "into fashion" but don't care about interior design,visual arts, music, cinema, graphic design, architecture and so on so forth. It is hard to separate an interest in "aesthetics" from it's various applications but it seems to be done with some regularity.
                i don't think faust has the target public in mind (which is obviously close to the fashion's one), but more the production side, implying that the furniture designers are not yet swallowed by the shitstorm fashion designers are stuck in. honestly, i have zero idea whether he is right or not.
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                  Some people just get so into their things that it's enough for them, and any time spent on other things is time not spent on their favorites. I have this one friend, I've never met anyone who's better versed in music and independent movies than him, but he doesn't read. It's frustrating when I want to talk to him about Capote, but he just can't be bothered. But that's why he's so well versed in music/film and able to introduce me to great music I haven't heard. He knows what he likes is OK with that.
                  bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Nickefuge
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                    Some people just get so into their things that it's enough for them, and any time spent on other things is time not spent on their favorites. I have this one friend, I've never met anyone who's better versed in music and independent movies than him, but he doesn't read. It's frustrating when I want to talk to him about Capote, but he just can't be bothered. But that's why he's so well versed in music/film and able to introduce me to great music I haven't heard. He knows what he likes is OK with that.
                    I think it´s different with aesthetics, because it´s something that permeates a lot of fields of interest: furniture, clothing, architecture, photography, graphic design etc.
                    There are probably some people who are like your friend, but I don´t understand them (no offense). I cringe every time I see a badly dressed designer (not in terms of taste, but fit, color palette and so on).
                    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                      i don't think faust has the target public in mind (which is obviously close to the fashion's one), but more the production side, implying that the furniture designers are not yet swallowed by the shitstorm fashion designers are stuck in. honestly, i have zero idea whether he is right or not.
                      Yeah well less people make meme using contemporary furniture designers if that is what you mean. I've yet to hear of rappers name-dropping them either so maybe they're less of micro-celebrities. There a video of Ice Cube talking about Eames but the later is not contemporary.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post

This is the stool:

It would also make a great side table. Of course, Vitra sells it for a ridiculous price, but I´m afraid I´ll manage to cut off both my arms during the process of rebuilding it. :/
                        I have that one, and indeed it makes a perfect side table. my 15" notebooks fits so good on it that some people think the table were made for it (or vice versa).
                        Don’t underestimate the construction though, in case you want to build one yourself: the finger joints are pretty small; there are also two different woods — beech namely, in addition to the conifer base. but that only matters if you are really into the details. the design would look great in MDF, too, with some simple beveled joints and a connecting plane (instead of the round stick)

on another note — and to chime in to the vitsœ chairs we just discussed: a fellow vitsœ lover

Comment

• Nickefuge
                          • Nov 2014

Thanks on the input! I´ll probably have the parts cut by a professional and then just assemble it myself (because I´m a wuss).
                          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                            Correct. I am more interested in the production side. Of course the consumption side is indispensable to it. There are "rock stars" in that space and interesting things going on in terms of design, but it's nothing compared to the way fashion has catapulted to the forefront of culture. Even "starchitects" don't really have the recognition that a major fashion designer does on the major scale. Also, the industry is incredibly mismanaged and disorganized. But it has potential.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                              • Aug 2009

i bought the most perfect bed pillow at abc. i was told it's the staff favourite and believe it because it feels fucking amazing..

i've always used down, but these things won't collapse. tried it at the store three times before buying them. worth every penny...

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I am more and more fascinated by marble. Seems like a very SZ material - primal, textured, beautiful in itself, needing only elemental forms.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎