X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Went to ABC today. I want to live there. So overpriced though. Came home to find the same things on Ebay for half a grand less.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• i want that Aalto chair too :)

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

never been a huge fan of Aalto's chairs, nor do I find reindeer skins that interesting (you can find them at cheesy gift shops here), but that combination looks really good actually.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
          never been a huge fan of Aalto's chairs, nor do I find reindeer skins that interesting (you can find them at cheesy gift shops here), but that combination looks really good actually.
          Now that Ikea has knocked off virtually every aalto design, it's hard not to think of them as "cheap", when in person they're really quite beautiful (and beautifully made). Great brass lighting too.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Eternal
            When it comes to sofas, I must say there is not too many I personally really like in terms of how they look. I've never been too much fan of the le corbusier ones and so on. Chairs I find to me much easier to find.

I like to think I know a thing or two about "modern" furniture, but this one is not a part of my vocabulary, although I feel like I've seen it before. Probably too rich for me at the moment, and I would want a smaller one, but can anyone ID the model?

First one I really like, beside this pretty basic one from Bolia:
            B&B Italia also have some good ones.

I believe that is the Metro2 (squared?) sofa from Living Divani.

What's your budget...I am happy to help. :)
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Dane, are you in the business?!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Dane, are you in the business?!
                No, just an observer, so not professionally helping, just something I happen to have a large mental inventory for and am happy to share if it's of use to anyone.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

^ looks like you're right, and it sounds like you probably know equal to or more than I!

So is it fair to assume you're looking for a solid-seat sofa with legs? Leather is going to make it a hefty purchase. Also, leather on a solid-seat, as opposed to cushions, means that the leather will stretch and leave creases...I'm not keen on that look personally. So for me, leather = cushions only; solid-seat = fabric.

I have this sofa from B&B...stupidly purchased with a wool/cashmere upholstery that doesn't mix well with dogs:

Very versatile though...each section's seat pulls out to ultimately form a bed, and each back-section tilts up and down.

As of now (sofa is old), a "cushion cover" to replace one of mine ranges in the $1000 area for a higher end upholstery. I literally can't afford to re-cover a cushion. :'(

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Some variations on the idea of the Jorgensen:

MDF Italia "Arch":

Cassina "Toot":

Flexform "Lifesteel":

MDF is a great, underrated company if you prefer very minimalist styling. Cassina has some great options, and their fabric selection tends to outweigh much of the competition. Flexform is an extension of the Cassina brand, but more "contemporary".

B&B Italia now owns Poltrona Frau and Moooi, so their fabric offerings has increased dramatically. Moooi's production tends to be of lesser quality, but often priced accordingly compared to B&B. Poltrona Frau is just ridiculously priced all around.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                      Now that Ikea has knocked off virtually every aalto design, it's hard not to think of them as "cheap", when in person they're really quite beautiful (and beautifully made). Great brass lighting too.
                      not much to do with Ikea on my part as I grew up around Aalto's furniture (my family had some like probably every other household here in the 80's) and don't pay much attention to what Ikea produces (except their wardrobes!). I appreciate the design of course and am a fan of Aalto's work in general (I live in a building designed by him), but always found the light birch on his furniture a bit dull for my taste. somehow it just works nicely with the fur here.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        I live in a building designed by him
                        Seriously? Why is your life your life and not my life?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ I can attest to the building. :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Catfood
                            • Oct 2008

The thing about the UGO is that is so incredibly ubiquitous in Norway at this point.

They are in all sorts of public buildings so I'm pretty sure the state must have made a large bulk order at some point. I've even seen them in high schools.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Eternal
                              Thanks Dane, I like them all but they're not really the perfect sofa to me.

I'm not a huge fan, but this one is designed and made in Norway the recent years, and everyone seems to like it. Expensive though, so not that many people own it, but I've seen a lot in office buildings etc. I guess I prefer the look of a leather sofa for something modern. Unless I'm going for a big pile of cushions and a romantic look.

UGO produced by Hjelle ( Norways says designed it, but the project is discontinued)
                              Furniture is so personal...it's very difficult to make recommendations.

Anyway, if you're not familiar, check out http://www.architonic.com/pmpro/sofa.../3230092/2/2/1. Great site with a lot of information.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I need a new couch and an arm chair. HELP.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎