X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

^ what a load of bs (on their part, not yours). First off, if Vitra wants to reproduce something, they just reproduce it...I hardly think G-star would be the saving financier.

Second, grey adds nothing to the black that they'd typically use, and again, if Vitra wanted to add colour, they would...they'd previously released the standard dining chair in a rainbow of colours. The whole concept is stupid and frankly, reduces the appeal for me completely.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• bestial
      • Jun 2008

I'm interested in hearing what Vitra has to say about this. It is my general opinion that they have the funds to do whatever they want. All the revenue they get from the Eames production should generate enough money to make this happens.

I see this as a way to get out to people that don't really now Prouvé but know G-Star and make money on their brand.

With that said, a lot of people who likes Prouvés work will probably be glad that it now will be easy accessible. I understand the less appealing side of the discussion, but is it really that different from a regular reproduction? As long as there ain't a big RAW logotype it could easily go by as just a Vitra-edition. But then again, it seems like an easy way for companies to make a buck on branding.

At least Diesel made something new with Foscarini.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

I don't really think it makes it any more accessible...it will still be at Vitra prices (so, high). It will no doubt make some g-star fans more aware of the Vitra brand...I won't comment on that.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• bestial
          • Jun 2008

Maybe a bad call on my side, I don't have any good background info on how easy it is to get pieces (original or newly produced) by Prouvé. But when news like this comes up it often gets a lot of attention, at least by the magazines, and people buy it.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by bestial View Post
            Maybe a bad call on my side, I don't have any good background info on how easy it is to get pieces (original or newly produced) by Prouvé. But when news like this comes up it often gets a lot of attention, at least by the magazines, and people buy it.
            Sorry, I meant accessible in general.

Comment

• nycd
              • Oct 2006

Original Prouvé pieces were not too expensive until Patrick Sequin hyped them in the early 90's. After that, original chairs were around $5-$10k and cabinets around $20-$40k in the mid/late 90's. I can't remember the exact year the Prouvé estate licensed to Vitra - I think it was early 2000's. And it was very limited.

Comment

• surver
                • Oct 2007

actually i agree re the lameness of this 'collaboration'; it would've been much more interesting if G-Star actually co-designed/co-produced a new piece with vitra, rather then re-issuing old items, slapping on logos and calling it a day... but then, in today's superficial consumer culture where everyone is trying to use every other one to help each other out by 'crossover-ing' isn't this the most typical? that said, there're sooo much junk in terms of 'design' out there that of course people are 'forced' to turn back to classics to play with rather then working with the majority of the one-liner overnight design starlets out there...

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by surver View Post
                  actually i agree re the lameness of this 'collaboration'; it would've been much more interesting if G-Star actually co-designed/co-produced a new piece with vitra, rather then re-issuing old items, slapping on logos and calling it a day... but then, in today's superficial consumer culture where everyone is trying to use every other one to help each other out by 'crossover-ing' isn't this the most typical? that said, there're sooo much junk in terms of 'design' out there that of course people are 'forced' to turn back to classics to play with rather then working with the majority of the one-liner overnight design starlets out there...
                  Really? Would it have?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

So, I did my furniture rounds in SoHo yesterday. FUCK, everything is expensive!!! I liked a couple of things from B&B Italia and Moroso. Now I have to find some knockoffs. I will write to Camerich, surver.

I also realized that I no longer like Artemide. Flos is a new fave. I think I might pick this up.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

^ no knockoffs!

That lamp is beautiful...but too large in scale for my tastes. No head over to Ingo Maurer.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I just don't have $7k for a couch. :(

I am also wondering if the lamp is too big, but I think I like it. On that scale it becomes a piece of furniture in itself. Ingo Maurer is way too expensive for what you get, although I like the designs (the broken porcelain light is just f-ing brilliant).
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

You found a sofa for $7000 in that neighborhood? Score!

Here's some advice that I wish I had taken for my own space - stop thinking of individual prices and think of a total, long-term budget. If you think of spending $7,000 on a sofa, it seems over the top. If you think about buying that lamp (at what, $2000?), you could take those funds and invest it in something that (a) you actually use everyday, and (b) has more overall impact.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is - after all the years of spending $500 here and $1000 there on accessories, etc., I could have saved a ton and started off with the object that meant the most.

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Speaking of impact for less money, this Maurer lamp is about $400:

It's small, beautiful, and catches your eye. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

To compare - I bought the set of Flos Glo-ball lamps (tables & floor...almost $3000), and ended up getting rid of them because they were just too...much.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              You found a sofa for $7000 in that neighborhood? Score!

Here's some advice that I wish I had taken for my own space - stop thinking of individual prices and think of a total, long-term budget. If you think of spending $7,000 on a sofa, it seems over the top. If you think about buying that lamp (at what, $2000?), you could take those funds and invest it in something that (a) you actually use everyday, and (b) has more overall impact.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is - after all the years of spending $500 here and $1000 there on accessories, etc., I could have saved a ton and started off with the object that meant the most.
                              I know, it's exactly what I did for my first furniture round, 11 years ago. I just gave myself a budget and plunged into it and it was the best decision I've ever made. I intend to keep the bed and the bookcases that came out of that round forever. I'd keep the couch and the chair too, but its time has come for functional reasons, not for the aesthetic ones.

That Mauer lamp IS beautiful!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Also digging the ligne roset mama lamp.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎