X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I'm sorry, I don't get the point of the blog - are they seriously negative or is it a play?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Tourette's maybe?
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I'm sorry, I don't get the point of the blog - are they seriously negative or is it a play?
        They're mocking the cliches you see in magazines, etc.

re: Hudson - how much are we talking? I don't see any prices online.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Oh, I see. I think we've had this discussion before, but I, personally, couldn't care less for all this modernist furniture like le corbusier chases and barcelona chairs, etc. They have become such terrible cliches - dentist offices are chuckful of that stuff now, and frankly, none of them are comfortable or beautiful, IMHO.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

yeah, I just paid 5k and felt like I got a bargain.

also, IMO, lighting is one of those things that can really make a home come alive even if the other stuff is ikea, etc.

Yeah, these days the $10k couch is normal. It's just mental...

Comment

• kunk75
              Banned
              • May 2008

i cannot believe how much expensive furniture is made of mdf and other such shit

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Oh, I see. I think we've had this discussion before, but I, personally, couldn't care less for all this modernist furniture like le corbusier chases and barcelona chairs, etc. They have become such terrible cliches - dentist offices are chuckful of that stuff now, and frankly, none of them are comfortable or beautiful, IMHO.
                I respect it, just as I respect a classic Chanel suit...but I don't necessarily want any of it. I have one "classic" piece...a lesser-known, plain glass corbusier dining table that I use as a desk. The rest, as mentioned, has all become a huge cliche and frankly, a bit embarrassing to see.

I went to a cocktail party at someone's house and saw that they literally bought one of everything from the Herman Miller catalogue. I died a little on the inside. I remember when people bought furniture (and clothing for that matter) because they liked it, not because of the brand name.

I think this is the reason why $90,000 sofas have a market today...literally because you know you won't see it in some yuppy's house on the cover of AD. Sad, but true.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                  i cannot believe how much expensive furniture is made of mdf and other such shit
                  I am wondering if we, as a planet, are just running out of resources and so everything is becoming a little shittier or companies are taking advantage of the combination of little knowledge/lots of money/lots of marketing.

The couch I just got, an older Ligne Roset model - I barely could lift one side off the ground. Now that's a couch.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

OK, floor lamp hunting time. Let's make a list of good light manufacturers.

FLOS
                    Artemide
                    Lumina
                    Fontana Arte
                    Best Lite
                    Luceplan
                    Ingo Maurer

What else?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Jielde
                      Akari
                      Oluce
                      Produzione Privata

...and if we add some furniture companies that also make lighting:

Moooi
                      Droog
                      Tom Dixon

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

If I may, some specific suggestions:

Akari paper light (maybe not so good around kids though)

Flor "Tab" reading light

Flos "Toio" (if you need mega-power)

Joe Colombo lamp

More importantly - what's your budget, and what do you want to light (the whole room (up-lighting), focused (reading), ambient, etc.)

I have this Jielde lamp...very practical...sturdy, no connecting wires, can be pointed up for general lighting, towards a wall for ambient lighting, or as the typical reading-style. Not too outlandishly priced...hand made...comes in a million colours/finishes. Built to last...parts are available, and you can usually fix it yourself.

It's the only light I use in my living room. Bedroom I have an Ingo Maurer bedside lamp, and an Artemide Tolomeo floor. I also have this bad boy...

(not my pic)

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Can't have paper light - they are a bitch to clean and my place gets dusty quickly.

Budget is low - no more than $500. But time is on my side, so I don't mind hunting on Craigslit/Ebay or waiting for a sale.

For now my frontrunner is the gray version of Flos K Tribe.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

^ love that light...but isn't that almost double your budget?

also, watch out for halogen bulb lighting if you're conscience of ambient heat & electric bill. otherwise, they dim beautifully, but cost a lot to replace when the blow.

Comment

• kunk75
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

nail on head. look how many people snap up poorly made $1500 suits. and ditto on older furniture, my dining table must weight 800 lbs.

taking advantage of the combination of little knowledge/lots of money/lots of marketing.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                                ^ love that light...but isn't that almost double your budget?

also, watch out for halogen bulb lighting if you're conscience of ambient heat & electric bill. otherwise, they dim beautifully, but cost a lot to replace when the blow.
                                Yep, hence I will just have to burrow down and refresh that Craigslist button... Talked to my electric company the other day and they were like "Do you even live there? How can your electric bills be so low." So, I told them I read books instead of watching TV.

The other contender is the Ligne Roset Mama lamp - a close second. Same price.

By the way, the photo below comes from here - I don't even know exactly what that means...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎