• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fncyths
    • Apr 2010

reminds me of the PK bowl by Paul Kjaerholm

Originally posted by Shucks
    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
    Originally posted by interest1
    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
      • Sep 2010

just wondering, since many of you craft your own furnishings.

do any of you share the passion of restoring neglected mid century pieces from famed designers?

i live in sourthern california, where shamefully many of these pieces go to die. However whenever i see a neglected eames task chair made of fiberglass, that lived a harsh live in the desert as a patio chair, i like to strip, old fabric and shedding fiber glass layers and replace neglected broken zinc bases.

as well as sand, and oil a number of vintage mcobb pieces. a great deal of these pieces are sourced from an interior designer acquaintance of mine. I hope to ship a number of these pieces to my home in japan, however that will have to wait until the family in japan is doing well, my grandmother grew ill a few years ago.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

I'd love to do something similar, but I have had a hard time finding these types of pieces at all that aren't through some midcentury modern store and with a premium price tag attached.

I'd love to find poor condition Eames etc.... especially some frames from Poul Kjaerholm chairs and such that could be restored and then re-covered.

Are there any websites where these types of things can be found? Not being linked into that community, it's hard to find this kind of stuff online at least from what I've found.
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• snafu
          • Apr 2008

if i had a bigger place the only thing id be ordering this season would be a pair of these chairs... thought they were beautiful.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Did the guidi & rosselini fellas design them? I assumed so but didn't ask
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I think so.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                • Jan 2011

They don’t look very comfortable to me. But comfortableness is completely subjective.

Martino Gamper told the audience at a talk last week that
                a man with rheumatic disease came by and said that »this was the most comfortable chair I ever sat on« while pointing at a chair-object Martino made for his 100chairs/100days project. Reason was that normal chairs comfort too much, while this one in particular forced the torso to sit upright. The bespoke object looked like a de-constructed dining chair with narrow shells and an angled back.

I just wanted to share this. In the end, you must sit on them.

Comment

• endersgame
                  • Aug 2009

i just want to say that it's really hard, at least in america, to find decent, middle of the road GC labor, building material, millwork, appliances, etc.

i'm doing a gut reno on my place and there's such a disparity between the choices you have. in terms of cost, low-end to high-end is like 10x. ikea kitchen or poggen pohl? laminate flooring or reclaimed wood? kitchen aid or sub-zero/wolf? boutique tile store or lowes..

same with GC's. one company will do the work for 30k, the other for 50k+. wtf..

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Welcome to America. Let's face it, we live in a country where by and large quality and aesthetics don't matter. I could write a book on this probably. It would start with the US of A being founded on puritan values that expounded all the virtues of aesthetics as excess and narcissism, draw a parallel from that to the modernist pragmatism that has taken root here much more so than in Europe, etc. etc.

If you don't have aesthetic heritage you cannot put it into the bloodstream of society. And if you don't have that, your entire system, it's fundament is flawed, and then your design education is just veneer, ersatz, kitsch, which is even worse than mere ugliness.

The result is people thinking that putting plastic that looks like wood is good enough. Anyway, don't get me started on this shit, I can go on for a long time...
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Been obsessing over the large black lacquered steel Kubus bowl after seeing it a bit over a week ago at Artek in Helsinki. Perfect brutalist fruit bowl for my new kitchen table built by the same gents who did the Rick Owens store in New York.

i own one of the large ones (black). it's the only nice thing they have in their product portfolio. the candelabras suck, imho - the candlestick holders are form-wise not well integrated with the base.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

Welcome to America. Let's face it, we live in a country where by and large quality and aesthetics don't matter.
                        i think it does matter, but no one wants to pay for it. i'm willing to pay, but it's still just out of reach for something decent..

the only american designed and produced kitchen maker that i found to be the most approachable in terms of value, sales and service was henrybuilt. and to furnish a tiny kitchen was still in the tens of thousands. that's not including the installation, sink hardware, and appliances. the italian and german kitchens run double that, easy..

if people would stop buying ikea..

anyway, i finally found a curtain room divider that's not cloth, but chainmail. i hate cloth drapes..

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                          I'd love to do something similar, but I have had a hard time finding these types of pieces at all that aren't through some midcentury modern store and with a premium price tag attached.

I'd love to find poor condition Eames etc.... especially some frames from Poul Kjaerholm chairs and such that could be restored and then re-covered.

Are there any websites where these types of things can be found? Not being linked into that community, it's hard to find this kind of stuff online at least from what I've found.
                          most of what i find is in person.
                          but since a good number of the people into this aesthetic are female, my guess is that you could probably source a few of the lighter weight/shippable pieces on etsy or through channels like pinterest. With that said i managed to find a knoll pollock executive chair recently nice chair.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                            • Sep 2010

Welcome to America. Let's face it, we live in a country where by and large quality and aesthetics don't matter. I could write a book on this probably. It would start with the US of A being founded on puritan values that expounded all the virtues of aesthetics as excess and narcissism, draw a parallel from that to the modernist pragmatism that has taken root here much more so than in Europe, etc. etc.

If you don't have aesthetic heritage you cannot put it into the bloodstream of society. And if you don't have that, your entire system, it's fundament is flawed, and then your design education is just veneer, ersatz, kitsch, which is even worse than mere ugliness.

The result is people thinking that putting plastic that looks like wood is good enough. Anyway, don't get me started on this shit, I can go on for a long time...
                            what do expect from a nation that prides itself on apple macbooks, laminate flooring, granite counter tops and victoria secret pink sweatsuits?

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                              • Jan 2011

eames coffee table

endersgame,
                              that looks beautiful (but pricy), a little like oversized Bless sunglasses. have you already considered a solid divider? i mean: chainmail still drapes, albeit very differently from cloth.

faust,
                              some time ago Artek announced that they are being taken over by Vitra, which is a good thing I guess when it comes to availability and logistics. Time will tell how they can keep independent aesthetics. I myself can’t really see the fruit bowls next to a, let’s say, Eames elephant.

Speaking of Eames:

RESIZE PHOTO PLEASE

I finally found a matching table for my two beige (or, more like RO pearl) aluminum chairs. Today I sew and sanded a new top plate out of black MDF (to match the shelves in my room) and brought it home. What I noticed was that the lighter top really gives the ensemble more grace. The original one is twice the thickness and comes in white with black beveled edges; so visually way more heavy.

PS
                              the spot on the floor is a chestnut

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

radio, i decided not to go for chainmail, it did not compress enough for my purposes. i will most likely build a walled partition. wasn't as expensive as i thought. btw, i use to have the 48" version of that coffee table. built like a tank, i gave it away because it was too big.

anybody use vitsoe shelving? i'm thinking of doing my dining/office and wardrobe using this system if i can get within budget. i realized i can't really use furniture with feet with my space..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎