• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by my friend goo View Post

This served my purposes very well, of course to make good use of this system your digital library has to be in some lossless format.
    I have a lot of vinyl ripped stuff at 24/96 and it sounded beautiful through the setup.

Comment

• springsummer1993
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
      it sounds like you are looking for a simple, low budget system with decent sound? it would help to know your rough budget, because there are <$1000 solutions and >$10,000 solutions.
      Yeah, I think it'd be relatively low budget in terms of the hi-fi world. It'd be safe to assume that I would put my range at under 1K---->5K. As long as the set up provides respect towards the record in play, I'm happy. A plus would be some kit with all stainless steel aesthetics and a wooden box speaker

thanks goo, i'll be sure to check it out once I at least earn 3K a month haha
      live for conflict / die for heaven

Comment

• my friend goo
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
        OK maybe not 'has to be' ;p
        At least 320 / V0 (VBR)!

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

If you don't mind taking a bit of an alternative approach, here's what I would do with $1500...

-assuming you have a computer that plays CD's, I would first rip all your CD's and sell them, maybe giving you a few extra dollars to put towards your set-up
          -assuming your computer doesn't have the best built-in DAC, I would get a budget external number
          -I would then spend the rest of the money on a pair of proper active (powered) speakers, meaning, the amp is built-in, and you'd use your computer as the preamp (to control volume, etc.)

I say screw the components, save the space, and let your computer do the work, which it no doubt will in the future anyway, what with the lack of physical media these days.

My first stop would be Dynaudio, which has a few powered speakers.

Alternatively, take a look at Pro-ject Audio, which is an Czech turntable company, who also make tiny Class-D amps and components. I have their little preamp & amp combo and they're awesome for the price/size. They also have a combo unit (and even one with a built-in tuner) that would be super size/cost efficient.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

well there's a HUGE difference in -vo and flac file sizes. some say you can go as low as -v5

I haven't ripped and encoded in many years so I'm not up on all the latest lame releases and switches. I don't even download anymore. I've got enuf/too much already....1.5 terabytes...all lossy. imagine that in lossless

Comment

• endorphinz
              Banned
              • Jun 2009

I definitely agree that physical media will be non existent in the near future (i actually thought it already was ). also the price of tech is so cheap theses daze you really don't need to spend and a lot to get a lot.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

I was ridiculed by the audio nerds when I said this, but I honestly couldn't hear any difference between FLAC (or lossless) and 320. I have decent speakers, decent equipment, decent ears, etc., but still couldn't tell the difference. Play something in 128 and compare to 320, and I hear it. So, although harddrive space is not hard to come by, I still went with 320 to save space/processor power, etc. etc.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

when I first started to download music I burned everything to data CDs and then data DVDs as well as keeping as much as I could on hard drives. today with the huge increase in hd capacity and the huge decrease in their price, I don't burn anything anymore. I do however have duplicate drives and in some cases triplicate drives. hard drives die. it's a fact that hasn't changed. when 1 of my drives die, I will clone it's copy immediately ensuring that everything is always backed up.

I have an aluminum suitcase with burnt discs burried in my closet. I may need them someday......anyway when I started building my collection it was impossible to do it in lossless. files would be big, download speeds were slow and storage capacities were small and expensive. today things have changed considerably and I guess you could go lossless but I still don't really see a need to.

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

I was intrigued by Apple's "matching" service...I forget what it's called(?) Basically the service is $25/year, and every song you have in your library that apple has in it's itunes catalogue is then syncronized. Meaning, you can download music from your library on your phone on the go, etc. Problem is - there are issues with music not matching, music not being present in their catalogue, and their bit rate is only 256, which is annoying if all of your music is 320, you'd be downgrading (if, in fact, you can hear a difference). Bonus being music that is shite quality would get an upgrade, you don't have to keep all the music on your primary device (some people don't have laptops anymore now that tablets are so popular), and even if your phone is only 16gb, you can always access music you have in the cloud anywhere you are (data/wifi required, of course).

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

that wouldn't work for me. I don't have an iTunes library. it would be impossible with my collection. I manage all music manually by drag & drop and now I don't even use iTunes. most people could prob back up their music on 1,or several,64 gb flash drives...

when I wanna give someone a present, I compile a "mix drive" on a thumb drive.... nuthin says happy bday like a few thousand songs.... tho I just put full albums on. I'm not thoughtful enuf to make actual playlists.

Comment

• springsummer1993
                        • Aug 2012

Thanks for the advice Dane. Funny thing about you asking me to sell my CD's though--I've recently sworn against downloading music after years of it and have begun buying CDs instead. It's definitely more of a pain to acquire but my mode of thinking was it results in a more appreciative relationship with the music due to there being a physical object. It also makes me more responsible because downloading music led to having a 'backcatalogue' of music that I'd downloaded but never ended up listening to. Forking out cash for cd forces me to gain value for my money in a way.
                        live for conflict / die for heaven

Comment

• MaxM
                          • Sep 2009

keep your cds man i used to keep everything on my hard drive but i had way too much (ultimatley i lost most of it), now i do both and music i really appreciate i buy on CDs and i enjoy listening to my cds much much more also i know i will still have them in 20 years and look back and say hey was same cool/aweful music i was listening to back then

Originally posted by springsummer1993 View Post
                          Thanks for the advice Dane. Funny thing about you asking me to sell my CD's though--I've recently sworn against downloading music after years of it and have begun buying CDs instead. It's definitely more of a pain to acquire but my mode of thinking was it results in a more appreciative relationship with the music due to there being a physical object. It also makes me more responsible because downloading music led to having a 'backcatalogue' of music that I'd downloaded but never ended up listening to. Forking out cash for cd forces me to gain value for my money in a way.

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• MaxM
                            • Sep 2009

also SS, regarding your initial post:

if you dont have lots of room you could look for closed box speakers since they dont really require any positioning, like you could place them against the wall it wouldnt matter (unlike most other designs).

EB Acoustics EB2 (Closed) Speakers + Naim Nait Amp (5i or XS) for example would be one really good combo. Im a bit biased though, i have the EB2s and really love them so

Anyway, if you can go up to 5K then there should be lots of great options.

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MaxM View Post
                              i used to keep everything on my hard drive but i had way too much (ultimatley i lost most of it)
                              thus the need for backups. hey vinyl disappeared & there's a reason to still have that. CDs will def bite the bullet and vanish. I can't see any reason to collect them.

Comment

• MaxM
                                • Sep 2009

no ur right u could also do with multiple drives etc or cloud storage whatever, i just trust "physical storage" more. but then its also a matter of the pleasure u get of having sthg physical. i prefer it that way but its a personal thing

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                                thus the need for backups. hey vinyl disappeared & there's a reason to still have that. CDs will def bite the bullet and vanish. I can't see any reason to collect them.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎