• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
    Do the rainmakers have the same "sound" as the Model Ones? I know they won't be quite as solid, but I've always loved the sound of the totem speakers I've heard, though I've never had the chance to hear the rainmaker.
    I think you may have been the one who recommended Totem to me (on sufu some years ago).

I always find it hard to compare speakers...but I'd hazard a guess that both the Rainmakers and the Model 1's use the same or similar tweeter, because both have a very sharp high end that some find fatiguing, but others (me) find lively. The RM's have better bass response, but lack the midrange beauty of the M1's.

The M1's are clearly a better speaker when comparing them side-by-side, but the RM's are a solid buy for the price, are better for "modern music" (read: something with thumpy beats, etc.)...but have a piece of midrange missing. Still, the nicest speakers I heard that were in my budget (aside from the Arros, which were just out of reach for me, but I've always regretted not splurging on).
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Entirely possible I did. I've always loved most of the totem lineup, just never listened to rainmakers. It sounds like the rainmaker won't do it for me. It's the midrange that's made me love Totem so much (the treble is nice as well imo).

If you listen to bass-heavy music, the arros would have driven you mad. They're beautiful things, but the quoted frequency response is just a lie. They seriously lack bass.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Don't get me wrong...the Rainmakers have beautiful midrange, but if you're comparing $1500 speakers to $3000 speakers, there's bound to be a difference, and that's what I noticed most. I imagine moving up to the Mani's would reveal a flaw in the Model 1's...
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Mani-2s versus Model Ones is more an issue of dynamic range and bass than anything. The Model Ones don't suffer in the midrange compared to the mani-2.

I had no idea that the M1 had gotten so expensive. Last time I looked it was $1600 I believe. $2500 is rough for that little speaker. But it does sound so very nice...
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Ya, at that price point I'd be inclined to get a full-range tower speaker...but I guess compacts always have their place.

Comment

• Icarium
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by arc View Post
              I would recommend the A5 from Audioengine. Good value for the money if you are on a budget.
              Yeah A5s are a great budget recommendation. Would need a source though.

My headphone rigs:

Work Rig
              Parasound DAC1500 -> Kevin Gilmore Dynahi -> AT W5000

At home:
              Sources
              Spectral SDR-2000
              Esoteric D3
              Esoteric UX-1
              Parasound DAC1600
              Assemblage DAC3.1

Amps
              Eddie Current Balancing Act AD1 Ver.
              Headamp Balanced Gilmore Ref.

Headphones
              Audeze LCD-1
              Audeze LCD-2
              AudioTechnica AD2000
              AKG K1000
              Sony Qualias

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

^^ I have a logical and please-dont-take-it-as-insulting question...

As in everything in life, when I'm about the make a purchase, I do some online research. When buying my cheapo-Grados, I of course visited the headphone forums, etc.

My question is this - why 5 pairs of 'phones? Do you alternate...or one suits a particular type of music more...enlighten me. Of course you're not the only one...most of the guys on the forum had at least 1/2 dozen pairs and counting.

Comment

• Icarium
                  • Oct 2010

I do alternate. Basically in my search for audio excellence I came to understand that there isn't a single headphone that renders sound perfectly/accurately. Even at the most expensive tier there are tradeoffs and different presentations. I owned for a time the Sennheiser HE90 (Orpheus headphone ~9k) and the rest and it wasn't perfect.

So I go through phases where I spend more time with one and then swap to another for a few months then another. Each time it's like rediscovering my favorite music and hearing new and different things. Auditory memory is transient and unreliable so this works.

I think I could be satisfied with 3 headphones or even 2. I say 3 because I keep one at work and would leave it there. At home I think 2 would suffice... I'd stick with the LCD-2s it does almost everything I like extremely well. Qualias though have been my favorite prior to the LCD-2s and it does well some of the things that the LCD-2 doesn't do well. Namely a wider soundstage and a less lush sound which at times can seem overly romantic.

In the end I guess the simple answer is that it's like food. If I ate my favorite food every day I'd get sick of it but if I can alternate with a couple other types then it might work out. Music to me is almost as important as food.

Comment

• soultek
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                    For amps/dac I like vintage solid state gear for bang/buck. I like offerings by companies like Parasound/Adcom/Sonic Frontiers/Great American Soundworks (GAS) from the 90s. Imo for solid state that's the golden age where you get that great engineering, materials, construction, design that you don't see from newer offerings.
                    Amen, this is what I was trying to express in my earlier post

Comment

• soultek
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                      I do alternate. Basically in my search for audio excellence I came to understand that there isn't a single headphone that renders sound perfectly/accurately. Even at the most expensive tier there are tradeoffs and different presentations. I owned for a time the Sennheiser HE90 (Orpheus headphone ~9k) and the rest and it wasn't perfect.

So I go through phases where I spend more time with one and then swap to another for a few months then another. Each time it's like rediscovering my favorite music and hearing new and different things. Auditory memory is transient and unreliable so this works.

I think I could be satisfied with 3 headphones or even 2. I say 3 because I keep one at work and would leave it there. At home I think 2 would suffice... I'd stick with the LCD-2s it does almost everything I like extremely well. Qualias though have been my favorite prior to the LCD-2s and it does well some of the things that the LCD-2 doesn't do well. Namely a wider soundstage and a less lush sound which at times can seem overly romantic.

In the end I guess the simple answer is that it's like food. If I ate my favorite food every day I'd get sick of it but if I can alternate with a couple other types then it might work out. Music to me is almost as important as food.
                      How do you overcome the inherent stereo field issues with headphones (vs. speakers)? Do you use any spatialization tricks?

Comment

• Icarium
                        • Oct 2010

Yeah as good as the best headphones are they don't do spatial rendering as well as a good speaker set up that's been properly calibrated with room corrections. So no tricks I'm afraid.

But for me anyway they make it up by offering for me a more immersive experience with generally a faster more detailed sound.

I find that with headphones it's easier for me to tune out ambient noise than with speakers because they are that involving, but that might just be that I haven't encountered amazing enough speaker set ups.

It's difficult to audition speakers because they will sound different at a dealership or a friends house than in your space and swapping/auditioning units is a pain. Compound that with having a very small accoustically challenged living room... :) I've essentially decided until I can build a house that can accommodate a custom room for speakers I'm just going to go budget in that area for now.

Actually back to your spatial question... there is this system which I've auditioned that's pretty interesting I have a few friends who have it and they say its more than worth it especially if you watch a lot of movies and 3d gaming... it might be worth checking out but is not cheap.

Comment

• soultek
                          • Feb 2007

^ Yes this is the type of thing I was referring to. I've never seen a productized version of one, seems like they know what they're doing. I've auditioned such a system as well, they're definitely cool and dare I say the future.

I agree with you that it is much easier to focus on detail with headphone listening.

And I agree with you that it's hard to get a great sound environment for speakers without changing room dimensions, reflectivity/absorption/diffusion balance, room correction, subwoofer placement strategies, listening position optimization, and etc. down the rabbit hole.

Still a pair of bookshelf speakers with low directivity and a flat on/off axis response can take you pretty far. I'm pretty much a believer in the work of Floyd Toole, his book is not organized well, but the essence of his life's work in captured in it's pages. Recommended!

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

I'm thinking about picking up an Arcam DV139, am I shooting myself in the foot if I get a dvd player that will be used for audio CD's 95% of the time? the reason is that I occasionally need a DVD player, but really don't want to get a separate one.

I would probably pair it with one of their FMJ integrated amps.

I'm looking for a simple setup with good audio quality, but then again I suppose anything is a step up from my Yamaha micro stereo system...
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

^^ That DVD player plays CDs beautifully. Not all do, but not all can even play a DVD properly to begin with.

If you're interested in saving some $$$, you can get an excellent quality DVD/CD player for (much) less. Oppo comes to mind.

Comment

• boomslang20117@
                                • Sep 2006

why not audioengine 5? probably the best bookshelf speakers. you can easily include the a8 subwoofer in the budget considering i got everything for just about SGD$1K.

anyway i would say forget about an amp and just go for a dac. no point have a sub par onboard sound card and an amp. a dac would be a wiser choice. i would highly recommend y2 dac.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎